History of the term "Soke"

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Wolf, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

Recents events on MAP made me very curious about the title of 'Soke' and those using it. So I did some looking around and found a very informative article on the history and proper use of the term. I'll say it can seem a little long winded, but it really helped me to understand things a bit better. I hope everyone takes a chance to read this.

http://www.koryubooks.com/library/wbodiford1.html

2. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

This last sentence says it all, IMO.

3. Wolf

I would definitly have to agree :D

4. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

So the World Sokeship Council is really the World Council of Fraudulent MAers?

Wow, glad we figured that one out!!!!

5. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Geez you guys are slow we figured it out like 2 days ago. Hopefully by next monday I'll have the email back from Mr. Gracie then we can put the last nail in that dummies coffin and bury him in the backyard with all his homade training tools.

6. Wolf

I sent a similar email to the gracies, and one to another master on there. And just to get irrefutable evidence from Marshall University I sent an email to their academic affairs department asking if they ever offered a degree program (undergraduate or graduate) in MA. I think we all know the answer to that one.

7. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

Would that be from Hulio?

8. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

OMG quick !!! Go and tell MMM... :eek:

9. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Not everyone in the WHOFSC is a fraud, although on the whole I don't see much beyond a mutual admiration society.

10. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Ditto Dave's point. The organization seems to be the usual martial arts mutual appreciation society. There's nothing wrong with that. While we live in the post bullshido times, not every martial arts organization is filled with Ashida Kims. They Soke council is at worst harmless, much like the wide variety of Martial Arts hall of fames out there.

- Matt

11. WotEvaYuKanDo

WotEvaYuKanDo Valued Member

Not saying that this isn't true but why would anyone who is legitimate seek to associate themselves with it? What's to be got from affiliation apart from making yourself look like another fool? I've never seen this organisation discussed except as an object of derision.

12. Wolf

They do have members that are legitimate masters. However, I've heard that those members were just inducted to the WHOFSC as a means of adding them to the roster without really having their participation. Obviously to make the rest of them look more legitimate. I could be wrong about this though. It may just be a rumor.

13. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Well, here's one way.

YOu train and study for a time, get some rank and some skill...

then someting happens. You move. Teacher moves. Catch teacher with your wife. Vice versa. Something bad nobody's fault but you fall out.

Now you want to continue your career in MA but you are alone. You've beena black belt for 6 years working hard with no master above you. What do you do?

One thing you can do is find a new mentor to guide your training, and give you smoe connection to teh MA community, who can test and evaluate you, and even promote you, and make you feel accepted and like you are part of someting bigger.

Another thing you could dois make up a bunch of crap and give yourself some rank.

Which way is better?

These organizations are not always a waste of time. I think of them like the Frateral Order of Eagles or the Rotary Club.

14. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I don't think the council "awards" any rank besides the title of "soke"... so if you have the money and the credentials (which can be gotten pretty easily I bet), you can join, I think.

I could see membership as being a way to enjoy their publicity/advertising, networking with other members, and the implied prestige that it offers (e.g. "If so-and-so is a member, it must be good")