Hisardut or Kajukembo?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by mdgee, Jul 8, 2014.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Have you watched a lot of krav maga? I'm not a krav guy myself, but literally every demo of krav I've ever seen has heavily emphasized weapon disarms. Gun mostly. Whether those disarms and demos were credible depends on the case. But the idea that krav doesn't address weapon disarming is, frankly, flat out wrong.

As for the actual question, as always it depends on the schools involved. Well taught hisardut would be better than badly taught kajukenbo.

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yes I did. You followed the rules you agreed to when joining MAP. Want a cookie?

3. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

Not really.... but thank you for offering

People talking rubbish tend to get on my nerves a bit.

With that said, good luck with MAP.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Thanks

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

what are your training aims?

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

For the record (not that Dylan will likely read this), I actually agree that it sounded like a very unlikely description of krav maga.

7. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Thanks Owen. Also, since we only have a few Hisardut schools in the U.S. then I suspect most would be better then some of the crappy Kajukenbo schools. The good thing, I think, is that the one Kajukenbo school in Vegas is actually a good school so it's just a matter of who will accommodate me and my boys and give us the best experience.

8. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I have some kajukenbo experience. If the lineage is good it's a great art with good self defense. You'll learn striking, takedowns, disarms and probably a bit extra (my instructor also taught jujitsu and had an mma team)

9. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

I'm going to be biased and say take Kajukenbo. GM Luna has a strong lineage and they are affiliated with KSDI, which is one of the overseeing bodies of Kajukenbo. I don't know the exact branch they teach so I can't speak from experience unless they teach Chuan'Fa Gaylord's Method.

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I've never heard of this, how does this method differ to the usual methods?

11. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

GM Benny Luna studied with one of the originators of Kajukenbo.

Grand Master Benny Luna was born in 1938 in Honolulu, Hawaii and was trained by legendary and accomplished instructors such as Grand Master Marino Tiwanak, Grand Master Adriano Emperado and Professor Joe Emperado.

12. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Ben, Kevin's videos on youtube have been a huge turnoff for me. I don't know if you've ever watched them but they all have loud music drowning out any talking from the instructors. If i take the time to look up a martial arts place on youtube and you drown out talking with obnoxious music you've pretty much disqualified yourself as a place I want to study with.

13. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Then you are looking at the finger.

14. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Chuan'Fa is a branch of Kajukenbo. There are 4 main branches, Emperado Hard Style (original method), Tum Pai, Chuan'Fa, and Wun Hop Kuen Do. Chuan'Fa is one that utilizes Hard and Soft portions. And of the 4 branches, some influential individuals form "methods" like Ramos Method, Gaylord's Method.

15. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

I would assume this dojo is Emperado since Benny Luna was taught by the two brothers.

16. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Ben, you said "I'm looking at the finger". Could you please explain that? Maybe explain to me how it's not a turnoff to share videos of your dojo or school and blast the music over the instructors so no bystanders or potential students can understand was is spoken?

17. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Isn't it more indicative of their taste in audio-visual presentation than MA skill? The video is probably intended to be "exciting" to appeal to newcomers, rather than provide examples of detailed instruction.

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

He's saying you're focusing on the show instead of the content. Discounting the quality of an instructor because of the creative decisions made by an amateur videomaker lends itself to other metaphors as well. Throwing the baby out with the bath water, for instance. It's fine not to like the videos. But it's a terrible reason to discount a teacher.

19. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

I see. Thanks for the explanation. However, in this new age of technology I use youtube to save myself time. I have a few boys and I don't have the time to drive all over yonder so I have to narrow my choices through the process of elimination. They also never respond to messages. I have sent messages via their website and messages to their youtube account and posted questions. They have not answered one. Now, I posted one question on the Hisardut page and mentioned I have a deaf son along with two hearing sons. I also mentioned that if he's in a different class from me I would probably attend that class as his translator so his brothers could focus on the instruction. I then asked would this be a problem? The guy who runs the Hisardut school answered me in 24 hours and told me it would not be a problem and they look forward to meeting all of my children. Now, Hisardut is very high on my list because of this one instance of communication. People have gotten so removed from communication they forget little things that we adults require. Things like saying please and thank you that we were taught as children. Things like not sitting at a table and texting underneath the table or excusing yourself from the table if you have a call on your mobile.

In other words, if I take the time to write you then you should extend the courtesy of a reply to me. No reply...you're disqualified. I guess I failed to mention this point in the thread.

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

1) Turn the volume down on YouTube and just watch the moves. Age of Technology and all.

2) Yeah, mentioning that part would have made the whole thing seem a lot more reasonable. You should choose the school you feel better about. If one was more responsive, that's a good criterion. Sounds like you want to do Hisardut. So problem solved. Right? :)