Hip replacement scheduled (finally!)

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Van Zandt, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Cheers mate. I'm eager to get stuck into the physio right away, though I don't think I'll be trying to balance myself in the splits between two chairs for a little while! As for how long it will last... not sure. Each prosthesis is unique. The surgeon has said that if I train smart it should last at least 20 years.

2. Topher

Topher allo!

Good luck mate. How long will the recovery be?

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Wii fit. You can even get resistance bands with it now:cool:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thank you. Rate of recovery depends on how my body reacts to the surgery and how much I follow the advice of my doc & physio. Been told though I can expect to be restricted to minimal activity for the first 3-6 weeks, but I'm hoping to be back in full swing again by the end of the year.

5. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Good luck mate. I can see you have the determination to make a full and speedy recovery. Keep us up to date afterwards, and if they give you morphine right enough (as opposed to diamorphine) don't scratch the itching it doesn't help at all.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thank you. Hopefully I'll have a cute nurse to do the scratching for me ;)

7. Geordiegirl

Geordiegirl Valued Member

Good luck with your op and recovery.If the ward which is treating is anything like where I work may i suggest a portable DVD player or a collection of books to pass the time. I dont think ive seen anyone under 70 on my ward (orthopedics)

8. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Nah, he can write some more articles for MAP :p

Good luck mate :)

9. Moi

Give him half a chance with those nurses then:rolleyes:

10. Geordiegirl

nurses 25+ generally not that nice
    HCA 18-25 where its at lol

11. Moi

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I've got my collection of Bill Wallace books and DVD's at the ready! (My wife will be glad to see the back of them.)

Already on it mate :D

Hopefully they ain't male nurses!

Amen to that :evil:

13. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Gold plated bone. Shiny.

Good luck superfoot. Speedy recovery.

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thank you :cool:

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Bugger it hurts.

Surgery went well, lasted a little over 2 hours. They decided against giving me morphine, instead opting for its weak-ass cousin whose name I can't pronounce. I'm now on a cocktail of 1500mg Ibuprofen and a little blue pill designed to stop blood clots, four times a day.

My thigh looks like I went a couple rounds against Jack the Ripper, and lost. I'm wondering if I can use the railroad-like stitch work to play with that toy train set I got from my aunt in Christmas '91.

Physio started at lunchtime on Saturday, which involved climbing out of bed and hobbling nine steps to the bathroom to take a leak. That took 25 minutes first try, and only because the nurse had a wonderful pair of perky boobies.

I had physio three times a day until I was discharged early this evening. Got to keep up with it at home. A nurse will come to check on me and clean my wound once a week.

Now the real battle begins. And man, it hurts.

16. Moi

Glad to hear you're OK and now on the mend. Good luck with the recovery

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Good news that the op went well Superfoot, now all you need is to show the same deication to your physio as you have in the past with your stretching regime. You already know you can do it so get to it man!:)

Best wishes,
    Mitch

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Cheers fellas.

19. Geordiegirl

Glad to hear your ok, good luck with your recovery

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thank you.