high school drunk boxing?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by rsm688, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Fun is not getting drunk and smacking each other around. That's irresposnible and dangerous.

Depends on whether we allow the imbeciles to inherit it, I guess.

And if you all had ANY functioning brain cells, we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place. And no, I don't believe my attitude is harsh. Yoyu wanna get drunk and do something stupid, I hope you pay for it. And you better damn well have insurance, 'cuz I sure as hell ain't!

I think it does. And I hope we see less of these freaks. They're lousy for martial arts. This thread should have been closed after page one.

And let me address this little tidbit of "wisdom":

The OP is 18. And a US citizen from what I can tell. His promotion of underage drinking is a violation of the law, and probably a violation of MAP's ToS. He is not learning boxing in an appropriate manner, but then again, he does come from the generation of "learn martial arts form a DVD", so what should I expect? He is not talking about real training, he's talking about bitchsmacking his friends around. Let's not even diginify what he's doing by referring to it as "boxing" or "martial arts". It's neither; it's pure stupidity, and anyone who would knowingly encourage him to violate the law and have these drunken "fight clubs" is as dumb as he is, plain and simple.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  2. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

Because nobody EVER did stupid things when they were young, right?

Attached Files:

3. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

It's not that we did not do stupid things, it's that we've been around long enough to find out it's not "if" you will pay a price for doing stupid things, it's "when" and how high will the price be.

4. shuhari

shuhari New Member

Says you. No... seriously. Says you.
    Ohh, I'm sure you could find people everywhere that would agree with you too. I'm definitely sure 98% of the people on this entire board would agree with you. But... the concept of "Have fun and Enjoy yourself" is rather subjective, don't you think? I mean... what's Fun for me is different than what's Fun for him.. or you. Nobody has overall authority on what is Fun?
    Besides, having fun and enjoying himself probably wouldn't include any repeated injuries or unacceptable level of risk/danger, would it? Still... it's for him to decide, not for anyone else to judge.

Isn't this a forum? For discussion?
    Well, I think you're being abrasive. But you're totally entitled to your own opinion too, of course.
    So if I do want to get drunk and do something *you* would deem stupid... you hope I get hurt too? What kind of person are you, lol. Because we have a difference of opinion over what is Fun and Enoyable, you are wishing ill will on me? Man ouch... you hurt my feelings :(. So long as I'm not affecting you directly or indirectly(within reason), then... what? Who the hell are you to say what I do in my free time?
    Oh right... you're just expressing your views and opinions. Well, no problem with that then. Just keep your "imbecile" and "low brain cell count" judgments and insults to yourself, they just make you look like you're grasping for straws...

Well I am Canadian and the legal drinking age is 18 in Alberta. But that's besides the point, I have not advocated towards for him to get drunk and fight. Personally I don't recommend it, as it will slow your response time considerably and make it difficult to keep your punches under control, not to mention the effects on your balance and cognition. But who am I to pass judgment on him for doing so? He's free to do what he wants. I do not advocate breaking your country's laws, but neither to I advocate abiding by them to the T. You've never gone 5Miles over the speed limit? Do all the laws of every state really make sense? Maybe. Do you always blindly follow rules and regulation without using your own judgment? See, your type scares me... not his type. But that's another topic, I digress. I only advocate for his personal liberty to choose for himself what is responsible, what is Fun, and what is Stupid.

I guess all I can say to you guys is "Says you". That's for him to figure out, unique to his situation and perspective. I'll also advocate for him to build up his ability to use his own personal judgment via making stupid mistakes. You all did it (make stupid mistakes), so you got the chance to calibrate yourselves to "when" you pay the price and "how high" it will be... allow him the same grace.

I would also like to say that, even though I am Canadian, I've always deeply appreciated the concept the United States was founded upon (and of course to a large extent mimicked in Canada) which was Liberty. It's sad, to me personally, whenever somebody tries to get in the way of another person's personal liberties.

5. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

i have to go with Gangrel on this one... its a really stupid idea...

6. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

No, says the law, too, genius. Read my profile and you'll figure it out. :rolleyes:

There's fun and then there's promoting dangerous and illegal activity. This is the latter.

WRONG. That's why we have laws against underage drinking and smoking,that's why we don't allow minors to enter into contracts and all the other "thou shall not because you're too young" laws. It's to protect people from themselves, like it or not. Go look up concepts like "in loco parentis" or "promoting the social welfare". There's a reason we have them, and it's to protect people from themselves.

Yes, but it still has a Terms of Service you had to agree to when you clicked the "join" button. It doesn't mean you can say whatever you like, regardless of what you think you're entitled to say.

Like I care.

You wanna see the results of dumb decisions? How about the three kids in a row who ended up in my county court for recreating a "Jackass" stunt. Or maybe the multitude of KIDS getting popped for DUI, Homicide by Vehicle, and all the other "fun" stuff kids do like drag racing? You aren't going to come up with ANY rationale which will make me agree with you. This is dangerous and illegal. PERIOD, end of discussion.

As for "who am I?" I'm the guy who gets paid to deal with 1000 kids a year who make poor decisions and end up in my courtroom in front of my Judge and getting placed under probation or taken from their families. Unlike you, I actually see the consequences of poor decision-making every day, it's my job.

WTF?!? We're not talking about a Constitutional right here. Once again, we're talking about combining an inherently dangerous boxing-like activity with alcohol. Neither is a guaranteed right, and underage drinking is a crime. Boxing while drunk is reckless and dangerous. Stop being such a damn drama queen. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  7. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

First off: There is nothing to learn from drunken brawling, it's a great way to sustain injuries and re-enforce bad habits that will get the crap beat out of you when you step in the ring. If you don't think so take your trash talking backside to a boxing, MT or MMA gym and put your L33t brawling skills to the test. :rolleyes:

Second: Most of the older people here have been lucky enough to have their youthful mistakes result in scars or joints or limbs that remind you early in the morning or when the seasons change, but we've also seen plenty of people that were not so lucky. Freedom dosen't mean squat when you're to jacked up to walk because of severe head trauma. How free are you when you need someone to feed you and wipe your ass? Don't kid yourself, it happens, it can, it does, it has and it can happen to you or anyone else here.