hewhos sparring log :)

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by hewho, Sep 11, 2014.

1. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Firstly, Hellooo!!! I have been quiet for a long time, been setting up work stuff, forum time had to take a back seat :( I'm still training regularly, though unfortunately more fitness than sparring. HOWEVER, I will be doing some regular sparing, starting soon. Which I shall talk about (moan about how bad I've got) on this thread! And hopefully have some videos too!
    Hope everyone is alright!
    Hewho

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Cool. We love member's videos. Look forward to it.

3. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Me too, it's been ages!

SIDENOTE
    Nearly got knocked down for the first time a few weeks ago, NEED TO KEEP MY HANDS UP

4. hewho

hewho Valued Member

no videos of tonights spar, was just 7 minutes continuous light sparring (boxing rules) with a lad just out of P company in paras who happened to be back for a week :) we werent going full out, he just said to work, and he'd tag me when he saw an opening.
    I managed to land a few combos, but need to work on keeping my chin tucked, and guard up in combos. Complimented my head movement, but my punches weren't fussing him, need to work on my power :) next post should be on Tuesday, after my first session at a new club :)

5. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Well, had a full hours boxing sparring tonight, after an hours padwork :) firstly some limited sparring, lead hand only. which was fun, need to work on my feints though! then we did some group sparring (every man for himself, and teams, body shots only) to tire us out so we would have less energy in real sparring.
    Then (finally! :D) some proper, head and body sparring, keeping it light. need to work on being a tad more aggressive, and not trying to turn from punches. mostly working with a lad about my weight, but four years younger. I have to say that he was good. fast hands, but my moving gave me a slight edge. I'm sure he will soon be a fantastic fighter though, massive respect for the kid!
    the final spar I had was with a member of the gyms MMA team, and it did not go well! about fourty seconds in I leant in with a right hand as he jabbed, and smashed my head straight into his hand, dropped like a stone (had to happen sometime). I am a bit gutted to have been dropped, but props to the guy who did it, lovely jab!

6. ned

ned Valued Member

Er,I think it was his hand hitting your head not the other way round ! :p
    It's good you're enjoying your sparring but if(no disrespect)you're leagues apart and being outgunned it's not very productive,for you.

7. hewho

hewho Valued Member

haha, yeah, should have been clearer! it would have hit me anyway, the fact I leant in meant I pretty much nutted his punch! *eyeroll*
    Don't worry about disrespect! it's a discussion thread :p I am afraid I disagree, although I see your point. Due to the range of experience in that gym, and how often we swap partners, I am bound to come up against people far better than myself. If nothing else it will allow me to work on my defence. I would agree with you if I only fought him, day in, day out, and each time got put on my butt after 40 seconds, all I would learn would be how to stand up and stem nosebleeds faster! as it is it allows me to put a gauge on my progress. 'oh, he got easier? I'm getting better' or, and just as likely 'oh. He's still whupping me? I guess I need to train harder!' thanks for the discussion, do feel free to post a reply! :)

8. hewho

hewho Valued Member

The morning (alright, afternoon) after, to quote a text I sent to a boxer from my other club, feels somewhat like this '...like I got hit by a steam train, then drowned in a pool of whiskey untill somebody pulled me out by my eyes' but hell, I'm going back next week!

9. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Sounds so much like our (former) boxing gym with coach Boom-Boom, lol. That's exactly the way he had the class - it was rough, man. Harder still, as my condition was ( still is to a degree ) so bad.

Careful, lad. This sort of class is lots of fun and you can really learn a lot that you wouldn't be able to otherwise, but there is a darkside. We had a boxer KO'd very, very badly one evening during one of these random - partner change ups. Nearly killed him. Was still having partial seizures when we moved and left the gym months later.

He had to quit the classes ( and just about everything else, I heard )

I woulda been me, had I had to take a class off that evening, no doubt.

10. hewho

hewho Valued Member

thanks for the advice Belltoller, first off, sorry to hear that happened! it's all quite friendly, and cos I'm the second youngest, they are fairly gentle with me :) at the same time, if it starts getting needlessly aggressive I'll bring it up, and won't worry about quitting if I feel the need arises. it's an informed risk, and one I don't mind taking with the precautions in place. if the precautions leave the gym, so will I :)

11. hewho

hewho Valued Member

QUICK UPDATE
    never managed to get back to that gym, and I could make excuses, but frankly it just hasn't been a priority for me. Still been boxing every week, probably getting 15 minutes of sparring in, not really enough to make massive leaps, but it keeps me ticking over. I've found out I do better when I fight more aggressively, though I need to work much harder with pretty much everything. trying out a new karate club in town this Sunday, and actually really looking forward to doing it, as I've missed karate. I'l let you all know how it goes.

12. belltoller

Ja, let us know what you're about - good, bad or that large grey area right in the middle.

So the boxing gym not your fancy, then? Had it been your first day there?

13. hewho

hewho Valued Member

it was my second session. I enjoyed it, but the cost and effort for getting there mean it isn't a priority. the karate club is in my home town, so that's easier :) Currently closer to bad on the grey bit than good, fitness has dropped XD

14. hewho

hewho Valued Member

rather than start another thread I'm just going to ask here. does anybody know anything about Tada Ima Karate? The instructor has said over fb that they are very 'jujutsu influenced' but I wouldn't mind some outside opinions :) ALTHOUGH having said that, I will check out a class regardless, to see if it's the right thing for me!

15. hewho

hewho Valued Member

3 months later, been getting to at least one, if not two sessions a week. it's mostly grappling, with some striking. not a big group,normally 3 of us plus the instructor.

16. belltoller

That's with the Tada Ima Karate (whatever that be) place? Like it well enough?

17. hewho

hewho Valued Member

18. hewho

hewho Valued Member

just got me a lovely new rash guard, not that I need it, it just looks pretty! and (more excitingly) a possible club trip to Japan for a week or two of training in October!

19. belltoller

To study Jujutsu, no doubt. That one's the Great Granddaddy of Judo, aikido, BJJ and bartitsu, if I understand correctly. I would guess that the individual styles refined and developed more advanced techniques but the basic framework began in Jujutsu.

Is the trip something arranged through your school? What part of Japan will you be in if you go?

20. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award