Herbo_ksw + Leangains

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Herbo, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

So I came across Martin Berkhan's Leangains blog a few weeks ago and decided to give it a try as I'm trying to get back to -81kg for judo due to recent forays at -90s have been less successful and I want to be at -81s when I get my dan grade (currently 1st kyu).

Basically the plan runs as fasting for 16 hours, including through the night and eating your macros in an 8 hour window, which for me is typically between 1-9pm. It's not magic, you still need to control your calorie intake, however I've found that after the first 2 days I'm never hungry and can comfortably eat below maintenance whilst still having filling meals.

I should note that I haven't been able to exercise either as I'm out with bruised ribs so can't comment on lifting stats just yet.

I'm 2 weeks into the diet just now and have been keeping to about 1800 calories per day (2300 maintenance). My weight fluctuated a bit in the first week as I guess I was losing water and glycogen, but after some refeeds it has stabilised.

Starting stats

6ft 2, 84kg (184.8lb), 34.5" waist, 15% body fat*.

2 weeks in

82.9kg (182.4lb), 34" waist, 13.8% body fat*.

* measured using online formula so not totally accurate.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has tried this protocol and to let others know about it.

2. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Ok so left this for a bit but here's the results so far;

Week 3

82.5kg, 33.7" waist, 13.2% body fat

Week 4

81.7kg, 33.6" waist, 13% body fat

Week 5

81.2kg 33.5", 12.8% body fat

Weight loss seems to be pretty standard week to week, still maintaining a 500 calorie deficit through the week with Friday or Saturday usually having a few beers or other drinks so maybe slightly over my daily intake.