Help with position

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by mattt, Mar 9, 2013.

1. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Nogi tonight, playing a very relaxed game against a weak blue and was exploring.

Found a position that seemed very solid yet I haven't come across before, might just be a regular place but from a different angle.

Open guard bottom, head towards his left leg my right leg is wrapping underneath his right hooking my instep on his Achilles. My left leg tucked into his right hip. Had complete control of his body with no hands (perhaps due to his base issues)

Does this make sense? And is it a named position that I can look up to find some henka from?

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Z guard? But with ankle control?

Doesnt sound too stable, could use it for deep halfguard entries.

3. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I've been thinking about it more and trying to explain it would be like an inverted X guard (IE your legs are switched) also, rather than your legs both being bent you have one controlling at the hip and one straight controlling at the ankle, the ankle one allows you to manipulate their bases, just lifting your legs a little raises them off the ground.

It is somewhat reminiscent of the stretch seen here (bottom right torso stretch):

[​IMG]

The difference being that instead of the left foot in the image being on the floor, it is instead up in the air as a hook that has the pinky toe blade of foot firmly in the hip groove. (In my example my right leg was the one extended, in this image it is the left, but same idea).

I see the deep half as an option, and swinging under perhaps some sweeps too.

It felt very stable their leg being almost hyperextended by the control, and whilst I was playing with the concept hands free I would obviously put the hands in there too for further control.

Will be working on it next week rolling.