Help! PUPS!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Victoria, Apr 24, 2008.

1. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Awwww, I can just imagine them all in there:

"God it's cramped in here."
    "Hey, get your paw off my face!"
    "Just wait till we get out . . ."

:D

2. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

Haha :D Cramped it is! Every now and then there'll be a 'pup bump' in her belly - if you stroke it, it moves, then all the others move like domino's :love:

3. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Non pedegree pups with no mother/father hip+eye tests will not make £50 let alone £200.

Vic: I've bred show dogs for 15yrs, drop me an email with any queries.

btw EWWWWWWW Slip!!! I've NEVER ate the birth sac!

4. Brat

Brat Return of the Brat!!!

Slip.. wow... *shudder* I suppose It'd be a good way to bond indeed though. but yikes. And my mom freaks when she has to put her mouth on our dogs' throats... LOL

Can't wait to see the puppies! Good luck! I hope everything goes smoothly..

5. Victoria

Proud mum has given birth to 7 pups, black (or brindle) and white. Pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

YAY! for puppies.

I wonder what they taste like in a kebab?

7. Brat

Brat Return of the Brat!!!

Awwww!!! They're so adorable!!!

Neds, I wonder what YOU taste like in a kebab.

8. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Heh - very cute. And sadly, they're a bit camera shy. More pics V, more pics! :D :D :D

He tastes of dustbins. :Angel:

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Wicked. Glad things worked out.
    By the looks of the markings I'm betting their might be a bit of Border Collie in that lot.
    Border Collie (intelligence and need for work) X Staffy (energy and need for play) = High maintanence :)

10. Victoria

Their heads and bodies are definitely staff puppies - they're quite distinctive and all pups are identical in structure and head shape etc. Their colouring is mostly brindle, some with the white around the neck/head area and chest like their mother. What I thought was black has now dried into brindle :)

I'm 99% sure they're pedigree brindle and white staffs. We'll have it confirmed by a vet when we visit.

Here's an adult white and brindle staff :D

[​IMG]

Here's a staff pup:

[​IMG]

And here's one of ours :love: Thundar - I didn't name him!

[​IMG]

Here's a more visible puppy bundle:

[​IMG]

11. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

First off.... CONGRATULATIONS ON SOME CUTE PUPPIES!!! YEAH!!!!
    *dances around room yelling yay for puppies!

Ok now to be a pedant...

How can they be 'pedigree' anything if you haven't got lineage/pedigree papers on them and you're not entirely sure who the parents are?:confused:
    They could still be totally loveable and great looking dogs... but I doubt you could call them pedigree. I suspect to actually be pedigree they need to have papers from your countries pedigree sanctioning kennel or breeding association.

Something like:

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/

The reason I say this is you'll get asked questions at some point when they're old enough to sell those which you decide not to keep. If you advertise them as pedigreed... buyers who are serious will want to see lineage papers and certs from a registered kennel club.

Here's a bit that might give you some insight into how pedigree is determined etc. As I'm sure you know... it can become a rather snooty affair. :p

Ok all that aside... damn they're cute. Just break out the laptop and print up your own super duper official pedigree of total official cuteness and call it done!
    Who can resist that?!?!
    Sigh. I dunno... I'd be a mess because I'd want to keep them all... well at least until the food bills rolled in. :p

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  12. Victoria

Ah so pedigree = papers. I thought papers were a separate deal. We'll be making a point of stressing no papers, we should still get good homes, with less chance of them becoming puppy mills too.

The mother is a full staff, and by how quick she popped those puppies out I'd guess she's had more than one litter already. I'm convinced these little guys are full brindle and white staffs. The one I'm set on keeping has a white stripe from her neck to her nose :D She's the only one we haven't named yet.

13. Sgt_Major

yeah, pedegree = kennel club registered mum + dad.

Also meand hip + eye scores for mum + dad.

Without those you dont have pedegree pups Im afraid.

But damn they are cute! lol

They will still sell, and well too I bet, but just not for as much as pedegree.

Long shot: The mum doesnt have a tattoo on the inner side of her ear by any chance? Or a little hard lump?

14. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

GORGEOUS puppies, V! They're so cute!!! :love: for the puppies! :D :D

15. Victoria

She does have a hard lump on her ear, it feels more like a scab though than anything else, I was thinking maybe she'd been bitten or something.

She was fine with us handling her pups earlier but she won't let us anywhere near now - she's growling and showing her teeth :mad::mad: We're going to have to get them to feed them if she doesn't pull her finger (or ****) out!

16. Sgt_Major

she'll be ok. If she's still in with them and protecting them she's still mothering. Pay her plenty of attention, with you away fromt he pups. Pat and stroke her head keeping her between you and the pups, so she knows you are no threat.

Do this as often as she will let you, then move to pat her neck and then her back and then slowly stroke the pups, but dont lift them.

You just gotta get her used to the fact that you're not a danger and she's propably exhausted too.

17. Victoria

Well there's no hope in hell of us getting anywhere near her any time soon. If you so much as stand up off the sofa she growls and bares her teeth ready to rip your arms off.

I'm going to give her a few days to get over it, then if we still can't get near I'm going to have to ring the shelter. Those pups need extra feeding as she isn't producing enough milk, her bedding needs changing, and I can't do any of it for fear of getting my neck ripped open.

This isn't "stay away from my pups", this is "you take one step in this direction and I'll rip you apart". She went to charge Chris with full jaws showing when he gave her a chew stick.

Fingers crossed she'll calm down soon.

18. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

They can be over protective right after birth, give it a little time. She may think you handled the pups a bit to much while taking those pics. If nothing else she'll need to go outside at some point. Have one person take her out and close the door behind then the other can change bedding ect.

One of my dogs used to act vicious the first few days after her pups were born but all she would do is nip if you touched them but if the dog is new to you I wouldn't test her to soon.

19. Victoria

She has no intention of 'nipping' ;) I can't stress enough, this dog will take anyones arm off who goes near her area, literally. I've never seen a dog this vicious.

She's been out to the loo now for the first time today. That's a start!

20. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah be aware of what you're getting into with certain dog breeds. This breed can be incredibly strong and very aggressive. There's a reason why it's often sought after as a fighting dog. I'm guessing you've not had this sort of dog before. Get books and read up... also get on some breed specific forums. You really, really don't want to get injured or further stress the dog out by approaching the dog/pups too soon.

Not to say that it will always be like this... but it's a sensitive moment for her now... so she's got get back in her comfort zone most likely to not be stressed. If I remember right you've not raised here since birth... that will have a large effect on where she draws the boundaries with you.

But they're still do damn cute one would almost risk an amputated arm for a little snuggle.:p