Hello there

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Peaceful Tiger, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Peaceful Tiger

Peaceful Tiger Happy Member

I've been a Mapper for about a year and a half now, so thought it was about time I checked in here....

ABOUT ME

Hello everybody,
    My name's Iain McKellan, I'm a 32 year old Scot living in Oxfordshire, England whilst serving in the Royal Air Force.

I've been training in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu/Ninjutsu now for just over two years, training three to five nights a week depending on my work schedule and have recently been awarded my Shodan (1st Dan).

MY MARTIAL ARTS HISTORY

I did judo when I was nine years old but was forced to go for a whole year by my parents and didn't really enjoy it much at all.

When I was nineteen I took up TaeKwon-Do after being attacked by two drunken yobs in town one night. I received a good kicking and sported a tennis ball sized lump on my forehead and a couple of very bruised ribs.
    I did Taekwon-Do about four nights a week for two and a half years until joining the Air Force. It got me the fittest and most flexible and in the best shape I have ever been.
    Whilst in the Air Force my TKD enthusiasm waned because of a lack of clubs and instructors in my area. Also I didn't drive at the time so it would have been difficult for me to travel any distance to train. Occasionally an instructor would come along and I would train for a few months or so, but I never graded again and I finished my TaeKwon-Do career as a red-tag.

I joined Marc Moor's Budo Warrior Schools in September 2002 because I fancied getting back into martial arts. I thought I'd give ninjutsu a try after seeing the classes advertised on a website.
    As soon as I sat down and watched the first class and the ease with which Marc demonstrated techniques I was impressed. I returned the next week to have a go and after that, I put in my paperwork and signed up.

I have attended seminars given by Brin Morgan, John Gardner and Bill Liddle.
    I attended the last ever European Taikai in Manchester last June. I also visited the Honbu Dojo in April and trained under the guidance of Soke Masaaki Hatsumi and the Japanese Shihan. In March 2005, I attended Master Richard Van Donk's Training Camp/TaiKai in California.

WHAT DO I GET OUT OF IT?

Mostly I enjoy the friendly relaxed atmosphere that we train in. I love the fact that we get to play with techniques and come up with alternative moves. I have made so many new friends and have a new social life which extends outside of the dojo.

STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES

Strengths:
    I'm fairly good at unarmed aspects, strikes, pressure points, hand and body escapes. I'm also good at knife, shuriken and kunai stuff.

Weaknesses:
    I need to work more on bokken, naginata and bo-staff techniques.

2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Nice intro Iain, welcome to MAP :)

3. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

Welcome, Zoomie. :)