Hello, it's me!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Tai-Do, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Tai-Do

Tai-Do Valued Member

Hello;
    I've been studying MA for for about 15 years (I'm about 30 now); it started when I wanted to learn self-defence. Because I didn't have any money and there were only a few schools nearby, I went to the free lessons I could, then dedicated time to learning which style to learn. Cut to a few years later and there was a big difference, all from books, self made training equipment and learning from whoever would teach me whatever.
    A few years ago I was diagnosed with a rare type of Autistic spectrum disorder/learning difficulties; but there was a master on the end of that fist, and she treated me well. I was also told I had a sillilly high IQ (all those books didn't go to waste) so I went from being an idiot to very clever over night (I'm only just now getting used to the idea)
    So to cut a long story in half with a big 'Ai-ia!' I now study Aikido and Taiji Dim-mak as my two main styles, all under the umbrella made by JKD; with anatomy and neuroscience thrown in. Bruce was the man!
    I'm especially interested in rare and disabled martial arts (I now specialize in finding the way for the disabled practitioner)

Some of you might like my youtube channel (I hope it's ok to post a link here) where I mainly show my other top interest, primitive living skills (mainly stone-age) http://www.youtube.com/user/wanderinggibbon

"Everybody wants to be Bruce Lee, except me, I want to be Ray Mears!"

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Hi, welcome to MAP. I can sympathize with you on the autism front. It can make life very difficult. Are you currently training under someone, or still pursuing martial arts on your own?

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Welcome to MAP and thanks for sharing.

Which type of ASD do you have?

You said it was rare?

4. Tai-Do

Tai-Do Valued Member

Hi, thanks. I'm not at any school in particular, but I have a couple of friends that are teachers and I train with them. I mainly practice my Taiji at home (my abilities are often temperamental); but I've been spending a lot of time learning about the neuroscience of the gross motor skills ... it's really interesting.

5. Tai-Do

Tai-Do Valued Member

Hi, it's my pleasure. Essentially, the main difference is that I'm pretty extremely disabled when it comes to math (I find it hard to count the change from a five pound note, and rarely try to do it now ... had many problems in shops before I knew) Instead, I have the rare ability to use words (and therefore am open conceptually in a very rare way) I also like the outdoors, and dislike (generally) modern technology ... whereas most autistic sufferers would like to sit in a room chatting about computers and numbers, that would drive me crazy. Instead I find order in the details of nature, and the use of English.
    Does that clear it up?

6. philosoraptor

I would advise you to seek out a school and train with a group. It's a great chance to really progress in your art and meet some folks who are likeminded. Some of the best friends I've ever had were folks I trained with.

7. Tai-Do

Tai-Do Valued Member

I would agree with you normally, but I'm still trying to get my head around a lot of the particulars of my condition. I can be disturbing to the class (one way or another) so I'm still trying to get to grips with that side of it ... normally, I'd suggest classes, just to be realistic (like the difference between shadow-boxing and sparring) but it's something to be dealt with slowly for me ... thanks.

8. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Welcome to the MAP! Glad you're here. I also enjoy practicing primitive living skills. A few of my friends are pretty good trackers but I never got into that part so much.

9. philosoraptor

No problem man, it's good that you realize that. Maybe file it away as a 'one day' goal. There may also be some Sifus in the area that would with you one on one in the Taiji area - just a thought.

10. Tai-Do

Tai-Do Valued Member

Brilliant; glad to know you're around. Will happily talk about it anytime (I've been doing it for only a slight amount of time less)

11. Tai-Do

Tai-Do Valued Member

One on one teaching is definitely better for me, I never know when I'm going to get stuck on a thought pattern. I'd love to learn some Dim-mak from someone close by, but I can't find anyone (to be honest, it's been a little while since I looked) but I can practice Aikido when I want, I know an ex military guy that teaches ... the teachers around here who do the short form, most don't even think about the self-defence side of it (for me, that's like playing tennis with a cricket bat) But once again, I haven't looked recently ... thanks again.