Hello From St. L

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by marinevet63031, Jan 27, 2013.

1. marinevet63031

marinevet63031 Hapkido/Koryo Gumdo/TKD

Hi Guys,

My name is Matt. I am a disabled Combat Marine Corps Veteran.
    Arts Studies and taught:
    Yudo - 7th dan
    Koryo Gumdo - 5th dan
    Hapkido - 5th dan
    Tae Kwon Do - 3rd dan, test for 4th in May.

I have enjoyed Martial Arts since age 5. The arts have been a huge part of my life and who I am. Just happy to be here and want to hang out sharing ideas about training with others.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

Good to have you onboard and good luck with the 4th Dan.

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Welcome to MAP :)

Mitch

4. marinevet63031

Thanks Simon, I appreciate it. Bobcat is awesome, "Shakes the Clown" is the absolute best. Lol hahahahahahahaha, better than any "Life of Bryan" or any other Python stuff and in comparing a low budget dark comedy to Monty Python is no easy feat and an honor for any comedy.

5. marinevet63031

Thanks guys,
    Also......I wear a brace on each leg, back brace, and ankle brace. All steming from Combat Injuries. I am not wheel chair but I compete in paralympic sports: Power Soccer, WWheel Chair Tennis, Power Chair Fencing. I am beginning a course hopefully soon through my organization: Disabled Athletes Sports Association for a Tae Kwon Do and Self - Defense course. I have also been putting up flyers at the polytrauma unit in my local V.A. Hospitals for this very same thing, working with the "Wounded Warrior Project" because they are my peope.
    So here it is in a nutshell:
    I am a Buddhist that loves all people, suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, loves to share the Martial Arts as I can. Joint problems be damned, I still train as I can. Oh, I am in charge of the Yudo program for Moo Do Won International headed by GM JP Wood in Palatine Il. We are working on the demo and competition program for the disabled.

I have been hearing through the Martial Art grapevine that the World Tae Kwon Do federation and International Olympic Committee is going to have a handicapped division in the next olympics for tkd.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  6. Simon

Paralympic sports has had some great exposure here in the UK recently, mainly thanks to the success of the Olympic Games.

Hopefully it will become a lot more mainstream over the next year or so.

Yesterday on TV was an international indoor athletics event where able bodied and disabled athletes featured on the same programme.

Definately a step forward.

7. marinevet63031

I watched the London Olympics, and the Paralympics. It was absolutely amazing and beautiful.

8. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Welcome to MAP.

Good to have you on board as you have a great deal of experience to share.

Osu!

Dan93

9. marinevet63031

how do i change my avatar guys? I love Wolverine as much as anyone but I would like to use another one please.

10. Simon

You'll need a few posts under your belt before you can change your avatar.

I can't recall if it's 20 or 50, but you'll get that soon enough.

11. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome to MAP brother.

Prior 3rd Battalion 2nd Marines, got out almost a year ago. There are a few more of us floating around on MAP too. Just wanted to say thank you for your service man, and that I hope you continue to recover as time goes on. I live in Bethesda near the Walter Reid hospital and know a couple guys that work with Wounded Warrior over here. If you're ever in the area and need something let me know, would be more then happy to help you out if I'm able.

12. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Welcome to MAP! Always glad to have another Marine on board.

13. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Welcome to MAP!

What sort of Buddhism do you practice? I mess around with Zen...although I wouldn't consider myself a Buddhist, I am too obnoxious and bitter for that! :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  14. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Welcome to the mapness!

You can check-out any time you like, but you can never leave!

15. marinevet63031

I follow in the vien of Zen Buddhism. I have a terrible struggle with post traumatic stress disorder that stems from my combat events, Zen seems to fit my needs.

16. marinevet63031

Dave,
    Man I dig your Grizzley Adams avatar. I seriously thought I was the only one on the planet that thought this dude was still awesome!

17. marinevet63031

3/10, CLNC. 92-97. Listen devil dog I hope like the dickens you are getting help from V.A. if you need. P.M. me brother warrior if you ever need ok?
    Semper Fi

18. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

welcome to map!

shakes. might be one of the creepiest movies of all time.

19. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Small world! I was HQ 10th 96-99. Don't remember anyone from 3/10 specificaly, but it has been a few years. I was 0861 Scout observer.

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Welcome to the party!