Hee Il Cho

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by lukestkd, Feb 25, 2006.

1. lukestkd

lukestkd New Member

Hi everyone,
    Does anyone know the history of Hee Il Cho? i've found its quite closed doors. Why isnt he with ITF at all, or shows no links of ever being with them?
    anyone know his lineage?
    cheers ppl

Luke

2. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

He il cho has been independant of both ITF and WTF for as long as i can remeber
    he was the chief instructor of the TAGB util 1990 something
    his lineage as far as i know is from the south korean army's instructors
    regardelss of his non afiliation with ITF he is one of the finest masters today
    I attended one of his semars in glasgow in th eearly 90s and was blown away by his skill.

3. Dae Han

Dae Han New Member

His association is also one of the most expensive. A reason why he is no longer with the TAGB.
    He left the ITF in the 70's as far as Im aware, hence why he does patterns in the very old way.
    All in all, he's a very fine MAist

4. Deedum

Deedum Valued Member

i used to belong to AIMAA :D

5. Carly_TKD

Carly_TKD New Member

I still do belong to AIMAA, until my licence runs out. Even though i've been with the association for the last five years, i've never been fortunate enough to attend one of his seminars, although I went to one by master phillip ameris and was blown away by that.
    Go to www.aimaa.com/grandmastercho.html and there is a brief history.
    His patterns are practiced in a very old way, but now i'm moving on from the association, i have to learn at least 3 patterns to even get to the grade i'm at now!

6. Qdmasta

Qdmasta Valued Member

I'm curious. What exactly do you mean by doing the patterns in the old way?

7. Deedum

Deedum Valued Member

Which Master Ameris seminar did you attend, are you in the UK ?

8. lukestkd

lukestkd New Member

by old way i assume that you do sine wave and he doesnt?
    i've read all the info on him I can and have like 30 magazines he's been in but it seems his early tkd history and involvment with the ITF is shrouded in mystery.
    i know he worked with TAGB for a while but what about before that?

9. CJ

CJ Killer of all the B.S.

for those not in TKD what does TAGB stand for thanks

10. Deedum

Deedum Valued Member

Tae Kwon Do Association of Great Britain

11. BigBoss

BigBoss This is me, seriously.

I am an AIMAA instructor in the UK. I have been fortunate enough to train with Grandmaster Cho at his head quarters in Hawaii and I have train with his highest ranking and longest serving student Master Philip Ameris 3 times in the last year and a half at his school in Pennsylvania.
    I have spoke much, in particular with Master Ameris, about GM Cho and I feel I know quite a lot on the subject. I can't answer your question about the ITF right now as I'm at work and it's quite a long story.

But if you follow this linkhttp://www.turnerstaekwondo.com/pages/about/grandmastercho.htm it will take you to a page on my website where you can read a brief overview of who GM Cho is and what his achievements in the martial arts have been, an interview I did with him in November of last year and a brief biography I wrote on him.

I hope that helps for now, and I will try and answer your question later.

12. BigBoss

Just out of curiosity, are you one of the people leaving to join Mr. Summers and Mr. Lambert’s new 'association'?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  13. CJ

CJ Killer of all the B.S.

thanks

14. Deedum

Deedum Valued Member

Can i ask how long you have been with AIMAA ?

15. Dae Han

Dae Han New Member

GM Cho left the ITF before the final set of patterns were developed and before sine wave was introduced. Hence in AIMAA you have to perform only 1 pattern per dan grading.
    I too was AIMAA, for about 8 months. Instructor was barmy! I won't say any names.
    GM Cho is a great practitioner.

16. BigBoss

As an instructor I have been with AIMAA about 3 and a half years. As a student for about 5.
    When did you leave? I am guessing that if you’re from Somerset, as it says in your profile, you either left with Paul Durys school or with evolution tkd!?

17. Deedum

Deedum Valued Member

Yes i,m with evolution, so i guess you know my instructor. I met Paul Drury at the Seni a few years ago now and met Master Ameris at a seminar in Cheltenham (i think).
    We left Aimaa about 2-3 years ago.

18. BigBoss

Yeah I know the evolution guys quite well, they're a great bunch. I came to the summer camp the year before last. :D

19. Deedum

Deedum Valued Member

i,ve missed the last 2 years but went the 2 before.

20. Carly_TKD

Carly_TKD New Member

By old way, i mean some of the patterns that the ITF do for certain grades have been rearranged, like Dae Han has said.
    Yes, i am in UK and i went to the Ameris seminar at Ledbury.