Headstand to ginga.

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Bozza Bostik, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I got this video from youtube and am practicing the stuff.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxy02WDKKuc"]Bananeira com Cabeça no chão[/ame]

I am kinda focusing on coming down from the inverted position to a ginga. I can come down quite controlled now (remember I am relatively new to capoeira). However, when I am in ginga I am side on to where my opponent would be.

How do I get face on? Is it just a case of swinging my (what would be) rear leg around more?

Edit: And tomorrow I am doing these ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbFCIKkAQDI"]capoeira floreios e acro.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  2. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

Doesn't doing a headstand on concrete hurt your head...?

3. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Damn, I forgot how beautiful capoeira can look... I'm going to have to find a class near me now!

Hmm, it's hard to answer your question without seeing you in action (ooo err missus), and probably the best solution is to ask your mestre or others in the class to watch you and give tips.

For me, I found the progression from cartwheel into ginga, then slooooow cartwheel into ginga, then headstand, then handstand a useful way of "getting it".

See on the video how the guy brings his lead (right) leg slightly in front and allows space for his rear legs to swing back a bit? Whether it will leave you facing your partner depends on where they are too :p

4. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Boris, there are several ways you could do it (using the video you posted as reference):

You could come down from the headstand to the side, as in the video, while kicking the second (left) leg to the back to end up in ginga facing front.

Conversely, you could push/kick that same leg forward after landing the first leg in order to end up in ginga facing forward and a bit ahead of where you were in the headstand--in short, moving in on the other person.

While inverted, you could bring either leg down straight and in front of your head while landing the second leg in a bent position and push up. This would begin to bring you up in a ginga position facing away from the front, so you pivot gently/smoothly on the balls of your feet while bringing your torso up from the inversion. This is also good for moving in on the other person while remaining low.

I hope these descriptions can be understood. Good luck!

5. dormindo

Not if you're awesome!

6. Bozza Bostik

Dormindo and HarryF - Thanks!! I'll work on those ideas later. I'm actually quite impressed with myself for being able to get up with control and down again. Now I just need to tidy it up a little....and land in ginga.

Gotta work my cartwheel into ginga too. I am getting better at not looking at the floor during these movements.

Anwolf. Ever heard of cushions? Pillows? Thick woolly hats? :) If I am going to do a lot of headstands, I put something soft down (yoga mat). I'm not awesome yet. Well, I am, my mother says so, just not at capoeira.

7. dormindo

Well if your mom says so, then it's all good!;)

As for not looking at the floor during au--that's so important! Also make sure not to look down to search for the floor when going down into au, or look down when standing back up. That is a big issue I have sometimes with students who can look forward when fully inverted, yet have to look down during the beginning and ending phases of the au.

8. Bozza Bostik

Yeah, I wasn't getting corrected about that, so have a bit of a habit of looking down. Now, thankfully, I get shouted at...in a nice way...when I do it! I've started to fix my eyes on a place in front of me and go from there. Kinda like fixing my eyes on an opponent.

Erm...what do you call the person you are playing with in capoeira? Is there a name/word like uke?

9. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

This is a very good point (as are the other comments you have made ;)) and something that I still find difficult! I understand how it dramatically improves the structure of au (and handstand - the spine is in correct alignment), I just can't seem to do it every time without 'forcing' the issue which detracts from fluidity.

Oh well, I guess everyone, regardless of ability levels (mine is very low), has something to work on!

Cheers guys, I'm really going to have to find a regular class to go to near me, rather than just larking around in the garden whilst the neighbors' opinion of my worsens :cry: (although swinging sticks and swords around can't help too much either)

10. Bozza Bostik

You do capoeira and FMA? What a weird combination! ;)

11. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

I know, what kind of fool would pick those two?:cool:

Thing is, I haven't really properly played capoeira for aaaaages, I used to train regularly in capoeira, Muay Thai (ring style), freestyle wrestling and FMA, but found that competing time pressures (job, family, sleep) meant that I wasn't getting enough training in any one art to actually become any good, so I had to pick one as a favourite - that turned out to be FMA (as, IMO, it encompasses EVERYTHING).
    I do miss the others though, and, if I could only choose one to pick back up it would definitely be capoeira because:
    a) it's awesome fun,
    b) it's quite different to most of FMA, and
    c) it combines strength, cardio, balance, flexibility, coordination and body alignment/structure in a way that means you can't "cheat" without noticing (falling over a lot)

The thing is though, you can see how FMA circling footwork (which I know as humpak pa'awas), Harimau Silat circling footwork, and a ginga are all at different points of 'smoothness' on the same spectrum, each having an optimum structure depending on the likely incoming threats and counter attacking weapons.

Hmm, au within double stick drills? Handstand and attack with your toe knives? I think this needs further exploration!:D

12. Bozza Bostik

Nothing I would disagree with or could add to that!

Oh...well...both have a big emphasis on flow, which I like in MA.

I'll admit, I was capoeira's biggest hater until I actually had a go. After a few collapsed handstands I thought it was both frustrating and awesome fun. By the fourth near neck break, I decided I had to take it up.

I'll always been a bit "jealous" of acrobats, gymnasts, parkourers (?)...Thought it might be a fun way of learning how to be a little bit flippy. Probably way to old to ever do a back flip, but damn it I'll give it a shot.

13. dormindo

No official term that I can think of. Around here, besides the English terms used to help people understand, we use jogador (player). I've heard this and camara used informally to refer to the other person besides just saying ele/ela. Beyond that, I can't think of any other way that I've heard one's partner referred to.

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Traceurs. Parkour traceurs. :)