Headgear as mandatory equipment

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by M Lambert, Mar 17, 2006.

1. M Lambert

M Lambert Fitness Consultant

OK so they are (i think) mandatory in amateur fighting, but Ive heard that they are going to be mandatory for sparring training sessions too. What do people think of these? My class generally has the opinion theyre awkward to wear and fight in...

2. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

safety first :p

in boxing we are told to put head gear on for sparring and skill sparring. If you have no head gear you can skill spar (just light taps improving your combos) but not enter the ring...

i'm trying to buy a decent head guard as i dont want my face looking like rocky balboa after 15 rounds with ivan drago ;)

i've got a full time office job lol, last thing i want is black eyes and bruises

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

mandatory at my club.

4. seyah

seyah Valued Member

My lot have to wear them but the club dosn't have enough to go around :rolleyes: :rolleyes: so students are instructed to buy their own.

5. TomB

TomB Train Hard, Fight Easy

we dont wear them because it improves your defence, pluss toughens you up - dont wear them in competition either
    we use 16 oz gloves though

6. M Lambert

Apparently all they really protect from is a fall to the ground.... to be honest I can still feel it when I take a hook :p lol

7. CDNhammer

CDNhammer New Member

Mandatory at our club, and I don't mind. Sometimes they get on my nerves when I start to sweat and can't wipe my face easily....boxing gloves and head gear make it hard to do...lol.

We wear 10 and 12 oz glozes.....mine are 10's.

8. triton

triton New Member

Yeah, the place I used to go to also made in mandatory to wear headgear and 16oz gloves--at tournaments also.

9. hux

hux ya, whatever.

they aren't mandatory at my club but IMHO they should be. Gotta think long term.

10. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

they wont stop you from getting brain damage if thats what you mean hux- headgear does not stop the brain rattling around which is what causes the damage.

for us its more about protecting the face. broken noses, cuts, black eyes, most of our guys have day jobs and cannot afford to look like Ed Norton from fight club.

We use a fair bit of gear during sparring- 16-18oz gloves, headgear, mouthguard, shin guad, cup. the reason for this is it means we can go harder, for longer, with less injuries.

over here the only equipment used in amateur muay thai is a cup, 10oz gloves and a mouthguard. headgear is used in am. boxing.

11. b33p.us

b33p.us Member

I think it should be mandatory, as someone said earlier, gotta think long term. I don't know about you guys but when I get roundhouse kicked on the side of my head I think "thank christ I have this headgear on!"

Though the worst thing about it has to be the sweat. Your head heats up so much and sweat pours down! It's also hard to wipe away sweat. In saying that, I would still much prefer the protection.

12. M Lambert

Nah, worst about the sweat is putting a sweaty headguard on after its been off for a minute.... mingin cold sweat :(

13. seyah

seyah Valued Member

Your instructor should be insisting on head gaurds apart from giving that added bit of protection, the clubs insurance is actually void as the terms of insurance as far as insurance goes is that adaqute safety precautions are taken to ensure the safety of students and should a student sustain an injoury which could have been prvented by the wearing of a head gaurd then the student is entitled to file a claim against the clubs instructor. However if adaqute precautions have not been taken the insurance company will throw the claim back.

Just something to be aware of. It may be advisable that he posts a notice up stating they must be worn that way if a student is injured it can be argued that the student has been made aware that they must wear a head gaurd that way the buck stops at the student. :) :) :) :)

Use a towl and insert into the head gaurd and using a cercular motion wipe away the sweat. It works a treat ( Tips By Fips! ) :love: :love: :love: :love:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  14. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

Head-gear

I think head-gear makes sense in boxing, kick-boxing and kumite. I think that at karate tournaments the competitors should be mandated to wear them. Most karate tournaments are conducted on a hardwood floor. It's not so much the head contact as the fall to the floor that the head-gear protects us. However I am opposed to what the AAU is mandating for all Junior competitors and that is a full face-shield. The full-face shield is like from the knights in armor. It distorts their defense into what I call 'face-fighting' or fighting without protecting their face.
    Thanks,
    Sensei Tom

15. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

I'd insist on headgear. I'm half deaf, and I'd want something to make sure the damage is prevented from getting any worse if possible.

16. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Yeah thats the same at our muay thai club. Although at TKD we wear the helmets. I keep mine on just to keep the teachers happy. I don't really mind that much getting hit in the face it makes me think "Oh I must improve my defense and then I work on it at home."

In competition I think it might be a good idea to wear one especially in kids sparring matches.

17. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

As is

18. hux

hux ya, whatever.

I hate I missed Ikken's response before he got banned :(

The idea is that the headgear reduces the impact of the brain to the skull. You can still get KTFO'ed in headgear, but the net effect over years of training is huge - and that's the real purpose behind wearing headgear IMHO.

I still favor use of headgear, I'm not sure I'm for legislation of that though.

19. Balrog

Balrog Valued Member

Safety first. Noone wants to die at training!

20. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Hell thats true!