Having to leave your MA club

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Andrew2011, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

What do you do if you have to leave the area and want to start MA again but somewhere else? I progressed up a few belts in ju jitsu but I'm thinking because there are many forms I'd have to go back to the beginning? Would this even be the same for black belts wanting to start a new club in the same discipline but a different form?

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

This surely affects all students in MA and those who travel around a bit for work, and why there is some benefit to belonging to a national association

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Some of it depends on the size of organisation you belong to. If your club is part of a larger group, they might follow a standardised syllabus and therefore your grade might be transferrable to other clubs.

Alternately, a lot of martial arts clubs have a fairly inclusive approach to belts and, as long as you're of roughly the right standard for the colour of belt you wear, they just let you pick up where you left off.

A good start, if you're going to have to move away, is to ask your instructor if he's got any recommendations for clubs in your new area.

4. Can you ask your present Sensei (or whatever it is called in your art) to introduce you to a new school that he could recommend? :)

OSu!

5. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

How would this help?

6. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

Even if there's a whole new set of techniques to learn?

7. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

It depends on the club.

First, find out if your old club is affiliated with a larger organization. If they are, the rank you have now will likely be accepted by another club with the same affiliation.

If you can't find a club with the same affiliation, check out the clubs near where you're moving to and ask them how they handle rank for students coming in from other clubs. Most clubs have done this before, and so likely have a prescribed way of dealing with it.

Also, unless you're going to a club that teaches an entirely different martial art, it is very unlikely that you'll have "a whole new set of techniques to learn".

8. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

You wouldn't generally have a whole new set of techniques to learn. In the end, variations aside, jujutsu is jujutsu and most jujutsu clubs will teach roughly the same techniques in a similar kind of order. A nikkyo in one club will be much the same as a nikkyo in another.

9. Haakon

Haakon Valued Member

It depends on the school. Very often a new school will have you keep your rank while you learn the new curriculum. I did that when I moved and changed TKD schools, completely different forms at the new school but they had me continue to wear my purple belt until I caught up, then continued to promote from there.

But in the end it's all up to the instructor at the new school.

10. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

You could also look at this as an opportunity to start exploring new styles and expanding your horizons.

11. Ives

Ives Mokuteki o motte hajimeru

Search the area for MA-schools that might suit my needs. I would prefer something in the line of what I am currently studying. I'd like to have a click with the instructor, students and material studied.

That's up to the instructor.

This would also depend on the instructor.

I would guess that proper MA-schools, so not the McDojo-type, will have you progress much faster then the total newbies, based on your skill, when you are asked to start all over.
    If on the other hand you can keep your (kyu or dan) rank you will probably have to get the syllabus down right, before you can achieve a new rank.

12. shootodog

shootodog restless native

sometimes it's better to enter fresh. i always "put on a white belt" when i'm in a new place. usually the new teacher see the skill and "progresses" you fast anyway. but if not, i love sandbagging in sparring hahahaah!

13. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

Thanks I didn't realise that. I looked at another syllabus and there seem to be a lot of similarities.

14. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Starting over can be a blessing. I'd pick up a second art, personally. I've done it many times before and I only regret it when I find those rare bad schools that escape my initial assessments. I argue against being graded up in classes though and don't care about the social club experience as much as many people do, so I'm not very typical in that regard I suppose.

15. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

Don't you find it frustrating not being able to progress to the top? What do you mean about being graded up?

16. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

What advantage would this be?

17. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

well you should think about what a black belt means. or any "rank" for that matter.

18. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

That you've mastered the basics? It's what I'd probably like to do in any MA I started.

19. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

maybe i'm too cynical, but to me ranks are purely arbitrary and have little to do with whether one can fight or not.

my thought is that if you have to leave and go somewhere else, even another art, don't sweat it.

20. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

No, I never cared for grades or recognition, just results. I've also never liked the stigma of people calling someone an expert because their belt is a dark enough color. I was born into a martial arts family so there was no grading at home for my early years. And I mean I would have instructors asking me to grade higher because I was teaching students and I wouldn't want to be graded up to do it. So I'd pretend to be agreeable about the topic and then just somehow make sure we never got around to it. I also didn't go to any of my college graduations or tell anyone about them. I'm kinda weird like that.