Has anyone here ever used their Tai chi training in real life fighting situation?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by The_Chosen_One, Nov 2, 2005.

1. The_Chosen_One

The_Chosen_One New Member

Has anyone here ever used their tai chi training in real life fight situation?

2. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

No never had to use it.

*Gets his Flame retardent Suit*

[​IMG]

3. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Never in a real life fight siuation, but I have used it in a situation when I was confronted by an aggressive woman....in a shop of all places. :D

4. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

i mostly use tai chi in just normal, physical day to day actions like lifting boxes lol
    i espcially like when if i drop something small, like a coin or pen to do a nice and fluent descending single whip to pick it up :D
    its more than likely that the longer youv been doing tai chi, the less likely you are to actually be in a fight.

5. The_Chosen_One

Now thats sounds interesting

6. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

Never had to myself, but I know a few who have, one rather extensively (dodgy bloke that he is!! :D)

I don't afree with the longer you are doing it the less likely you are to use it to defend yourself. I can see what you are trying to say, but years of practise wouldn't have a bearing on whether you get attacked or not.

Disregarding confidence and such.

7. fugepilot

fugepilot New Member

Not sure these experiences qualify but here goes anyway.

In a pub late one night (about 12 years ago) with small 'mouthy' mate who upset a large agressive beer-monster. While I was attempting to explain why flattening my mate was unnecessary, said monster was punctuating his affirmation to do violence with pokes to my chest. I let him poke me once, twice, then slipped round the third 'poke in progress' to whisper in his ear "and now you are off balance". The accomplished brawler in him knew what that meant - end of problem. Strangely we have been good mates ever since.

Another recent event of possible interest: a misguided fellow ran down a slope behind me intending to shove me over. First I knew my body had swiveled out of the way and he went flying by. No conscious thought untill after the event. I was well chuffed. :)

Also in a similar vein see previous post. http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=630825#post630825

8. piratebrido

You actaully said that to a guy?

It actually worked?

**** me...

9. fugepilot

fugepilot New Member

Yup. I have no reason to lie. :)

Yes, he is (I now know) an intellegent man. Who knows what would have happened with a thicky. :D

If I must..{sigh}... ;)

10. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

I used tai chi in a real life situation. I needed to exercise more often and I liked tai chi. So now I do tai chi everyday.

Oh you meant in a fight, those don't happen often in my real life.

11. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Unfortunately I haven't had to fight anyone since I was about 11, so I'll just have to wait and see.

12. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

its more than likely that the longer youv been doing tai chi, the less likely you are to actually be in a fight.[/QUOTE]

why is that?

13. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
    Because conflict and violence start inside you and Taijiquan changes that so you don't create/attract it and also can see it coming and don't feed it... unless you choose to! :cool:
    :Angel:

14. The_Chosen_One

This means no one has ever used their tai chi in a fight. Right?

15. nzric

Nope - like I said I haven't had the need to fight anyone in years. That's probably not a bad thing but hey.

16. Humblebee

How about changing the question slightly to would you feel a hundred percent confident using tai chi in a real fight if it was unavoidable.

17. nzric

Well, anyone just uses any principles you've been taught and that you think will work.

In answer, I don't have experience in other martial arts and I think I've learned a lot of effective techniques from tai chi so yes, I would use tai chi type movements. But once I king-hit the guy who's assaulting my wife, I wouldn't be thinking about focusing chi into my dantien when I jump on his head :D

18. Humblebee

I suppose it's impossible to remain calm if someone was assaulting someone you love,but then again why should you.

19. piratebrido

I am confident I can defend myself yes.

20. fugepilot

fugepilot New Member

I'll second that. :)