Haruka's Training Camp

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Princess Haru, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Well, like most supports I would only use for close to max weight or when I'm trying to get more reps in, so I wore my belt for the 15 reps at 115kg deficit, though if I was more driven/pumped then I probably could have done them without. Actually wanted not to tire my CNS much as Regional Training session tomorrow. I managed all Squats with no supports, sometimes if I'm feeling like its really hurting and rushed for time I will use my knee sleeves. I'm already thinking of buying elbow sleeves from Strength Shop, but for use in Judo (randori only)

Friend of mine has just sent a pic of him in Manchester eating a meal with Chael Sonnen, I bet they had steak! Some UFC fight event thingy tomorrow, that no one on MAP is interested in :p Luke representing Cambridge, though he will have his work cut out to win his fight.

2. Princess Haru

Judo

Regional Training Session with Steve Gawthorpe 6th Dan, Technical Director (though the Eastern Area BJA website still doesn't mention this, nor the event today, useless, completely useless), also can't see mention of it on the BJA website. So no surprise only the other Cambridge club turned up

Warmup

Uchi Komi: my choice Seoi Nage, Tai Otoshi, Harai Goshi, Osoto Gari; then we had to do a combo Osoto Gari turn to Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi

Speed work: Harai Goshi, Osoto Gari

Nage Komi: I missed out for lack of a partner :(

Randori: 5-6 rounds, some better than others. I got caught a lot, god I suck at this. I later managed a Tani Otoshi, Ko Soto Gake, Morote Seoi Nage, Sumi Gaeshi, and O Goshi., but setting up for a throw with say a high grip I would get caught with a throw before managing to get Uchi Mata or Harai Goshi. I could rarely break grip for an O Goshi and every drop Seoi Nage failed.

Newaza technique: turnover into a Kata Ha Jime, progressed onto an alternative with Sangaku Jime/Juji Gatame, with and without a front roll (haven't been able to find a vid for this alas).

Newaza Randori
    : 4-5 rounds (I think I missed one for lack of a partner), more success with some pins, mostly Mune Gatame, after a strong bout I got a good Adams style rolling Juji Gatame. I was caught a lot less on the ground, even with brown and black belts. One of the senior instructors said something along the lines of while (Tachiwaza) Randori can be reactive, when it comes to Newaza you do need to plan a couple of moves ahead. I'm better at being reactive on the ground, even when I make rookie mistakes I can often find an escape to being submitted and only tap when I know its going to use up too much energy or can't think of an escape.

oh, and for those who know, I think Danny Williams was in the class! if only I'd noticed earlier that would have been a randori and a half

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTWSz6a9IXk"]Facing JujiGatami Uke Stands up - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q59J0xpNYn8"]harai tsuri komi ashi - YouTube[/ame]

3. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Haru ..never seen that harai before...awesome ....not sure about the breakfall..

4. Princess Haru

I really like it as someone who is stuck in a trad. hikite/tsurite grip with some judoka, grip is one of the biggest problems to getting a throw, the other is getting kuzushi when you have a grip.

I'm looking at this vid and if Danny still has this hair style it wasn't him, looked a bit more like someone on the British team. There were several ranked players on the mat. I need to go to the next Comberton randori session.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdRzDnAH-Z8"]Judo Grand Prix Rijeka 2013 Bronze -73kg WILLIAMS Daniel (GBR) - ASTAFEV Aleksei (RUS) - YouTube[/ame]

5. Princess Haru

Strength & Conditioning

Even with the extra hour in bed a bit tired today, didn't expect much, but tried to dismiss this negative thinking once I got to the gym.

Warmup

Threw in a couple of new things, had to rush as pushed for time, some Squat Walks with band in Overhead Squat position, and KB armbars to preload my shoulder, since it was shoulder day.

Overhead Press
    1 x 3 @ 20kg (p)
    1 x 3 @ 30kg (p)
    Shoulder stretches with Red Pullum band
    5 x 5 @ 38kg
    1 x 5 @ 40kg

DB Overhead Press
    1 x 8 @ 2 x 15kg
    1 x 8 @ 2 x 12.5kg
    1 x 8 @ 2 x 10kg
    1 x 8 @ 2 x 7.5kg

Judo Belt Pullups
    6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 (close grip)

Full Clean (Clean + Front Squat, paused at bottom)
    1 x 3 @ 15kg (p) hang position/empty bar
    1 x 3 @ 25kg (p)
    1 x 3 @ 35kg (p)
    1 x 3 @ 40kg (p)
    1 x 3 @ 45kg (p)
    1 x 3 @ 47.5kg (p)
    3 x 3 @ 50kg (p)*

Power Shrugs

3 x 5 @ 50kg (*superset)

I was watching a couple of CF vids with Dan Bailey, which influenced some of this workout. This is one of them, mostly to get a correct first pull, hopefully transferring to both Power Clean and Clean.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P--ZY4gQXqk"]Fixing an Early Arm Bend with Dan Bailey - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Flnw3hIuyw"]6-20-2013 Project Mayhem - Help mastering explosive lifts - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  6. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Howdy Haru,

Your training log has been pretty quiet for you, is everything alright down your end? Still rocking the gym like a turtle riding a unicorn?