Haruka's Training Camp

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Princess Haru, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Ha! You should check out BroScienceLife aka Dom Mazzetti on youtube. He has plenty of comedy videos with dumbbell throwing

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCduKuJToxWPizJ7I2E6n1kA

2. Princess Haru

I put off Friday's training to today as I had a random chest pain, seems okay now. Let brunch settle then got to the gym for 3pm

Warmup

ME Deadlift
    1 x 5 @ 60kg
    1 x 3 @ 80kg
    1 x 2 @ 95kg
    1 x 1 @ 110kg
    1 x 1 @ 120kg
    1 x 1 @ 132.5kg 1st PR
    1 x 1 @ 135kg 2nd PR
    1 x 1 @ 136kg 3rd PR:bow1:
    1 x 1 @ 120kg

Thought I might do some more reps at 120kg but guess I peaked and didn't have much left to do any drop sets, well not at 120kg at least :) Special mention to Dan Green, I was watching a seminar he did in Australia on youtube, he does Sumo Deadlift. Anyway, he said that with a belt he takes a breath in before bending down to grab the bar, so I tried this (all the 130+ weights I wore a belt). It also means no faffing about when you bend over and grab the bar it's on!

Pullups
    5, 5, 5, 5, 5

DB Incline Bench Press
    4 x 6 @ 2 x 20kg

E-Z Bar Decline Bench Tricep Extension

4 x 10 @ 17.5kg

DB Curls
    1 x 5 @ 2 x 15kg

I was hoping to do some drop sets, then go back to 15 but someone nicked all the weights down to 10 grrrr

Barbell Curls
    3 x 8 @ 25kg superset with

BTN Press
    3 x 8 @ 20kg

Wall Handstands

2, 2, 2, 2

and that was it I think (oh and Saturday seem the worst day for couples at the gym, doing mostly cardio) and saw a couple of guys doing Bench press suspiciously close to their neck on way down, I don't know if this is an insane bodybuilding thing or I should have said something?;)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  3. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Jeebus Crisco, that's some seriously awesome deadlifting! Good job :D

You should've said something. If nothing, it would have been entertaining to see how they responded to a not especially large lady who could probably lift more than they can telling two macho dudes what they were doing wrong :D

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

dat deadlift. also seconding breath in before bending down. i don't belt up but i do it too anyway. lets you get more air in than when you're already down, so it's a bit more effective for bracing.

5. Princess Haru

I'm working towards that 140kg for the end of the year. I think under contest conditions it's there already but I know for safety and good technique I need to do more deficit, as getting the bar to move that first 3-4 inches for me is the real work, once its up there wasn't much difference in speed between the 120 and 136 to lockout. I didn't even break a sweat :p

They were kids really, maybe 20-24, a bit bigger than me 70-75kg and since there was two, you have a spotter, yet I couldn't get over the feeling they were both ingraining bad technique, even if it was just 35kg. I feel the gym has enough staff that they could do spot checks on people working out to check they are not hurting themselves

6. Fish Of Doom

i suggest some quad work to help get the bar off the ground. high-bar and front squats are your friend, as is the leg press, and probably snatch-grip deads too. the first part of the deadlift is effectively a leg press anyway :p

7. Princess Haru

I'm building up a bit on Leg Press every 3rd week or so. Only tried upto 125kg so far. Front Squats are still very hit/miss. I keep imagining if I try a really heavy weight this will happen.... (I think the guy was okay but doesn't look nice)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0-wE5BjHyY"]Martin passes out with a 180kg front squat - YouTube[/ame]

8. Fish Of Doom

well, front squats will always be lower than your deadlift, so if it's only for quad-building assistance work, no reason to go full-on maximal strength on them, just hit up some volume at lower intensities. the leg press lends itself more to going stupid heavy on it, so might be worth keeping it approximately level with your deadlift, or even a bit higher (say, try to get it to 145-50 or so for a single, which should facilitate getting 140 off the ground quite a bit, and/or do mid-high volume between 100 and 120 or so)

9. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Ouch.

Yeah, looked like he was going to be fine. Might've pulled the ligaments around his right knee a little, but since he was unconscious his muscles might've relaxed enough for him to be OK when he fell.

As for the two lads though, fair enough. At the end of the day, good advice is good advice regardless of source, but as long as they were properly spotting for each other they'll probably figure it out on their own terms what they're doing wrong.

10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

tbf i saw my coach almost pass out from coming out of a clean (basically a front squat) at a competition, so i understand the worry.

but there is no better quad builder i can think of.

single leg press is awesome too

11. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

holy crap that video!
    wow. just wow.

should have done more front squat lockouts!

12. Princess Haru

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  13. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I'm getting great things out of deficit deads at the mo, pulling 80% from a 4 inch block, just working on getting more volume in each week, last week I did a double EMOM for 7 mins.

14. Princess Haru

Just me representing the 7%, maybe I'll start referring to myself as the 7 :rolleyes: Fairly pleased with today's workout, got all that I'd planned to do. There was a lot of faux boxing going on in the warmup area so I had to find another spot to start my warmup

Warmup

Overhead Press
    1 x 5 @ 20kg
    1 x 3 @ 30kg
    5 x 5 @ 37kg

Finally added that half kg, though I need to work on my technique to get a smoother pace on the latter reps

Back Squats
    1 x 1 @ 30kg (p)
    1 x 2 @ 40kg (p)
    1 x 2 @ 50kg (p)
    1 x 3 @ 60kg
    5 x 5 @ 67.5kg
    1 x 5 @ 70kg

Not too shabby as I raced through the sets since a couple of guys wanted on, they used the other rack and stepped away from it as also deep but lighter weights, they went up to 60kg. I did offer to share but don't know if they even understood what I meant. Pah, men!

(p) paused Squats superset with

TKEs
    3 x 15 with blue band R/L

Lying Leg Curls
    4 x 8 @ 50kg

Burpee Chinups
    4 x 5 squat thrust into wide push up into standing jump and narrow grip chinup

Not as difficult as I imagined and just using up my last 5 mins, the complicated bit was getting a smooth base on the pushup without hurting the wrist, and getting all fingers on the bar for the chinup, I only got one and a half hands during a set and it made that rep twice as hard

15. Princess Haru

My Stretching Workout

Warmup

Running for 5 mins

Foam Rolling
    Calves, Hamstrings, Glutes, Quads and Adductors

Single leg Deadlift
    3 x 8 left and right @ 2 x 16kg kettlebells

Front Lunges
    4 x 15 @ 20kg

Isometric Stretch for front split (L/R)
    Mostly on instep back foot; then some hip flexor stretches, back to the instep back foot; finished with some side back foot, around 15 mins.

Some uchi komi with light bands
    Burpee chinups x10, just to see if I could. I could

If Abigail Joo hadn't been injured (dunno if it was Kayla Harrison's fault) she might have won through to the final as she was wazari up for 3 minutes. You can see Joo is barely able to stand. I'll try to dig out the Uchi Mata. Forward to around 2hrs 38mins

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfgNEbdpVJs"]Judo - Men 100kg & Women 78kg Prel. - London 2012 Olympic Games - YouTube[/ame]

It's at 11 minutes, but this is the first fight of the repêchage, and worth watching, a brilliant throw. You can bet Daria thought watching the replay she should have gone in harder with Ko Uchi and Ashi Waza. I think if she wasn't limping though there would have been more throws earlier.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsfKhSXUl3s"]Judo - Men 100kg & 78kg Finals - London 2012 Olympic Games - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  16. Princess Haru

Did just upper body today, and I was fairly lucky after the warmup to get onto the Bench with only a couple of minutes wait.

Warmup

Bench Press
    1 x 5 @ 20kg
    1 x 3 @ 32.5kg
    1 x 2 @ 37.5kg
    1 x 2 @ 42.5kg (paused)
    5 x 5 @ 45kg

Definitely a better effort than my last time with 45kg. Estimate I didn't go past RPE 8. I was really working the speed on the bar too, sometimes too much as I didn't get a touch on 2-3 of the 25 reps, but I managed each 5 rep set on one held breath, and felt like I kept tighter posture. Doing reps this is where if there is any upper body movement apart from the pulling then pressing then the set feels a lot heavier than it should.

Dips
    8, 8, 8, 8

I was thinking about adding weight but all the light dumbbells were out, and some guy (insert swear word here) kept leaving one on the stand like a dog ****ing on a tree to mark his territory, probably should have done a fifth set but it was annoying me.

Pendlay Rows
    4 x 8 @ 45kg

Lighter weight equals better technique, more lat action, less/no hip/back movement. Just because the weight doesn't feel too heavy doesn't mean I need to try a heavier weight in all circumstances.

Decline Lying Tricep Extension
    5 x 8 @ 17.5kg (with E-Z bar)

These feel better on the decline bench but it's so much hassle to set up, the bar is just a little too long to pass the gap between the supports, and if I use clips they hit the supports just at the point I get full extension, so I need to leave the weights loose. On the third set the plates came off one side so had to start again, using hair bands to stop them sliding off the ends and it worked.

Incline DB Bench Press
    4 x 6 @ 2 x 20kg

I need to do more of these, aiming for 5x8

Close Grip Bench Press
    1 x 20 @ 20kg

Cable Tricep Pulldown
    1 x 20 @ 30kg (with nylon webbing)

Ran out of time to do much more so a little bit more tricep death to end.

Gripper
    10 x 1 @ #1/100lbs
    left hand only, full close, with 5 second hold while getting changed.

17. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Ah I like 90 degree Barbell Row (now known as Pendlays). I must make a mental note to start doing these again. Such a great lift.

And you're right. Drop weight a bit and concentrate on getting your lats to do the work. I see folk using a bit of hip scuush when doing this. Fine if they want to get the hip in. But I always feel your lats should do most of the work with any rowing motion.

Gosh I'm now envious of your tricep death. Not trained arms for about 4 years or more. Work as part of the Expander/ Strand-Pulling and other lifts etc but not as 'isolations'.

You training to be a Bond Baddie Haru?

"Look out for her Left Hand James!"

Like Elsa Klebb but with a psychoclaw instead of poison tip boot? :D

18. Princess Haru

It's more that my left side is weaker, and it was my left hand that was injured in July. I can usually close the gripper with the right hand with less effort. In most right sided attacks the left hand would be a sleeve grip, but a stronger grip allows more variation in where you could get enough purchase to off-balance your opponent

When I tried some Burpee Chinups, with a jump to catch the bar my left hand seemed okay with this, even though the bar is one of those with pyramid structure, so only about 12-15 inches of open space (see image #2), got a couple of fingers on right hand on one occasion and missed altogether and had to let go on another.

http://www.dwgymgroup.com/gallery/

19. Princess Haru

Hey, the 7 is back with a leg workout :) Gym close earlier on Fridays so went as soon as I picked up my kit after work.

Warmup

Back Squats

1 x 2 @ 30kg (p)
    1 x 2 @ 40kg (p)
    1 x 2 @ 50kg (p)
    1 x 3 @ 60kg
    5 x 5 @ 67.5kg

(p) paused reps, supersetted with

TKEs
    3 x 15 R/L with blue Pullum band

Deadlift to Dimel Deadlift
    1 + 1 x 5 @ 60kg
    1 + 1 x 5 @ 75kg
    1 + 1 x 5 @ 90kg
    1 + 1 x 3 @ 100kg
    1 + 1 x 3 @ 110kg
    1 + 1 x 3 @ 120kg

Speed Deadlift
    5 x 1 @ 100kg
    5 x 1 @ 100kg + red Pullum band
    rep on the minute every minute for 10 minutes

Leg Press

1 x 5 @ 100kg
    1 x 5 @ 110kg #
    1 x 5 @ 120kg #
    1 x 5 @ 130kg #

# superset, just for mobility

Front Squat

3 x 5 @ 20kg

20. Princess Haru

Judo

First class of the Michaelmas term and I've already got out the frozen peas :(

Got hit in the throat with a knee during/at the end of a newaza bout. That was only the first as well. Did okay with some earlier rolling, for turnover, but I'm often stuck back on the mat nowhere near turtle. So we did about 30 minutes of Newaza then 20 minutes of standing Randori. In the latter I was on a no hope mission with about 30+ kilo deficit and blackbelts, in only one contest of someone my weight, a guy who was able to use greater upper body strength to dictate, though I managed to pull off an Ura Nage :) and countered a Uchi Mata on the ground

CUJC have a problem. Of course as I'm not part of the Committee I can't really tell just how big of a problem they have, but I got the impression from someone that they are being charged an unreasonable Hire Charge for type/size of club. CUSC are running it just like any commercial enterprise. I think the club might be better to look at other venues within Cambridge tbh. It really depends how much £££ they are talking about. Cambridge has this funny position where the Colleges have shedloads of money, but don't spend all that much on sport, okay they have nice Boathouses and a bit of ground for field sports, most have their own fairly modest College gym facilities.

Cambridge University has the departments, it hasn't the same resources and operates in some ways just like any other strapped for cash institution (even if what ex-colleagues who work in some departments tell me, they are practically rolling in money, compared to local govt). Ironically if you want to compete at the highest level and the highest academic level it might be better to go elsewhere or decide which is your real priority.

If they do put the fees up a lot I will need to consider looking at other clubs in the area, training times and how to get there.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C02lKP24XhE"]Ura Nage Compilation - Kuzushido Blog - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTCsR8AJiOA"]Cambridge Sports Complex Exclusive - Blues react to the news - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013