hapkido?

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Dragonfly, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Valued Member

hello,

I want to do Hapkido,
    I do now 10 years Judo and i want a second martial art.
    Is Judo and Hapkido a good combination?
    i have seen some vids and it looks like Aikido what is the big deference?

~dragonfly

2. french fri25

french fri25 Valued Member

hey buddy. im actually completely opposite of you. im a black belt in Hapkido and just started Judo. i think they will complement each other fine. you obviously have throws and breakfalling down pat, and Hapkido will introduce small joint locks, as well as strikes and such.

Hapkido and Aikido are mostly different in that Hapkido focuses on small circles and Aikido larger circles. hapkido locks are mostly in tight and not as extravagant as Aikido throws. you will also do chokes and such, which you already know a lot about from your Judo training.

depending on the Hapkido school you are considering, you will most likely do some weapons work also.

i say check out the school, see what it has to offer you. having been involved in the martial arts for some time, you should have no problem being able to tell whether its a crappy school or not.

if you have any more questions about Hapkido or anything, just ask

3. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Valued Member

do i have to be flexible for Hapkido?

and btw you help me allot :happy:

4. french fri25

absolutely not. it does help, but nobody is going to expect you to be kicking people in the head as a white belt. it also depends on what type of Hapkido you go into. believe me, Hapkido is one of the most complicated martial arts there is when regarding politics lol. styles like Jung Ki Hapkido i believe do focus on high Tae Kwon Do-like kicks, whereas Sin Moo Hapkido has lower kicks, and a lot of kicks that have you maintain 3 points of contact with the floor...

it basically differs between the different styles, individual schools, and obviously the instructor. but like i said, dont worry about flexibility. the only kicks that would actually help you on the street are low kicks anyway. definitely try to focus on hand techniques more than kicks, imo.

5. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

Hello all,

Actually, in the Jungki Kwan, we focus on low kicks, at the waist and below. Another point or two:

There is one style, Hapkido, then there those that teach closer or farther from the art the Founder, Choi Yong Sul Dojunim teaches. There is some material that is closer to what Hapkido is, and others claiming to teach the art that have moved so far away from the original principles and intent of the art that what is being taught is no longer Hapkido.

If you want to train in any art, find an instructor that suits your needs in terms of training. If you are looking for Hapkido, look at the credentials, ans see how close they are to the root art of Choi Dojunim...the further away, the less likely it is that you are actually doing Hapkido.

6. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Valued Member

some info about my sensei is :
    1968 to 1972 practiced karate in gym W.vd Venne to Heerlen.
    1972 to 1976 Royal airforce.
    1979 Taekwondo School in dental assistant coach Ron Silver Ron Silver Dental School Graduation Coach Dependance in Kerkrade.
    1986 achieved (Ministry of Culture approved) .
    1986 Started with your club Heath Field in Kerkrade .
    1987 Cheon-Kwon1991 Trained by Grandmaster Jae-Myong-Nam Seoul Korea achieved 1st Dan Hapkido1992 Founder 1st IHF Hapkidoclub in Netherlands Property currently 5th Dan 4th Dan Taekwondo HapkidoInternationaal style juror (ETU) / National referee 1st class sparring

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  7. klaasb

klaasb ....

Of course, this is just your opinion.

8. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

Hello all,

Now Klaas,

You know full well this is a simple truth. There was nothing like this being taught in Korea before Choi Dojunim...even the variant that you teach is from his root.

I know that this can be a nuisance when trying to sell a variant - but until one of the Hapkido variants is proven to come from a root other than Choi Dojunim, it is a simple truth...

9. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

And this is the same "red flag waving" that usually precipitates each and every bicker session that comes up in the Hapkido community.

For the last ten years the pattern has always been the same, without exception.

a.) A huge attention-grabbing declaration.

b.) A singular exception taken to the declaration.

c.) Any number of weeks bickering and back-biting culminating in a wholesale qualification of the original declaration being a statement as filtered through a particular position or point-of-view.

It is a part of Hapkido reality that any single personality in the Hapkido community can make a case for being "a style of", if not the "original" Hapkido. I'd put further discussion along these lines as being in the same category of sightings of Elvis, Big Foot and the Lochness Monster. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

10. dortiz

dortiz Valued Member

Its actually a pretty simple argument/opinion.

The first being since Choi started it everything else grew from it.

The second being Choi brought the first component but it only became Hapkido when the other parts were added.

Argument 1. Its a tree with many branches but from the same root.

Argument 2. its only a bag of flour until the eggs sugar etc are added. Then you have a cake.

I believe both can be right and folks get to study the flavor they like.

Again both are good. Both have really awesome players and both will argue this until the cows come home. Hapkidoin are like the scorpion on the frogs back. Its in their nature. ; )

Dave O.

11. french fri25

see this is another huge hapkido argument. who is the founder of hapkido? i consider Choi to be the father of hapkido, but Ji Han Jae to be the founder. but that just me...

12. klaasb

klaasb ....

If the founder is the one who gave the art the name, it is quite obvious that the first person to use hapkido (I don't care how you pronounce 合氣道) as a name for his martial art would be Ueshiba.
    If what Choi taught was 'only' the yawara he brought from Japan, than there is no need to give what he taught another name, but yawara. Or maybe like Kim Yun Sang dojunim, use the name hapki yusul.

The fact that both Ueshiba and Choi eventually started using 'hapki' to me is proof that what they taught comes from the same lineage.

Any way, Choi did modify some of the things he had learned in Japan after his return to Korea. Maybe not as much modify it, but adjust it to the new environment (defense against judo throws). New names for his teaching popped up: hapkido yukwonsul for example.
    Students of Choi and students of students did the same thing he did, they adjusted, added, tweaked etc. I believe that in this process a lot of the original teachings of Choi went lost (except on some of his closest students like Kim and Lim, just to name a few).
    So now the question is, what is hapkido? The modified teaching of aiki jiutsu by Choi or the modified teaching of Choi's system by his students? Or can we maybe call them both hapkido?
    In both cases, to me Choi is the one who started this process in Korea. So if you really really want to call somebody the founder it would by Choi Yong-sul. Actually I think you can't speak of one founder, as somebody who put together one complete system and than told everyone, hey guys here is this new system I have, I am calling it hapkido and that is it. It just did not happen that way!
    In recent years Ji Han-jae's students (I assume with the approval of Ji) run this campaign to call Ji the true founder of hapkido. They longer they keep repeating themselves, the more they will start to believe it. Ji did not single handedly invent hapkido. And IMHO neither did Choi. The formation of hapkido was a unorganized process of people with different ideas and different backgrounds. The basis of all this were the teachings of Choi.

You shouldn't confuse the root with the tree. No matter if you call Choi the root or Ji the root or any other person the root.
    This is not to say that those persons weren't/aren't good at what they did/do.
    There are more (much more) sides to this than most advocates on any side want us to believe.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  13. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i don't think there's anything simple about this debate.

i think some assumptions are being made: one, that the art (aikido, hapkido, judo) is original and did not supposedly exist beforehand; two, that the founders of this art (ueshiba, choi, kano) were perfect; three, that the art cannot be improved upon; four, that the founders were supposedly consistent over time in their teachings. there's more, but i'll leave it at that for now.

14. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Valued Member

i agree
    but i think that you guyz ar having this argument because of this thing ill use Judo as expel:
    Judo has risen out of Jiu-Jitsu because Jigoro Kano thought that Jiu-Jitsu was to painfull those times and Jigoro Kano wanted to change that so he did train in every Jiu-Jitsu Dojo in Japan he could find ad combinated all styles exept the kicking and the smacking only the throws, chokes and sticks this is a little story from judo i can tell more about it but not in English :x i think that this could be the same with Hapkido tel me if i'm wrong...

~dragonfly

15. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

here's my advice to you dragonfly...

try different places out. if the place won't let you try without a contract, move on. pick the one you like the best. pretty much, if i go to a place and they tell me there's a contract, it's a non-starter.

i've also done the same combination you are looking at...hapkido and judo. right now, i'm in aikido.

16. klaasb

klaasb ....

In Korean martial arts founders were never important. If you practiced martial arts you were probably in the army (or a Buddhist monastery) and you had your instructor appointed to you. Period.
    If you practiced one of the folk martial arts, like taekkyon, you pretty much had little other choice than to practice the style of your village or province. If you were good at that, you could be drafted in to the army (some old Joseon text says something along the lines of 'he who wins three matched of subak (ie taekkyon) should be made a soldier).
    The notion of a martial art having a founder is something that came from the Japanese. Judo and Aikido had very obvious founders (although there is no doubt in my mind that their students had some influence as well) and suddenly the Korean martial arts needed founders as well. So they went looking for them or some people promoted themselves to be the founder (look at taekwondo).

17. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Valued Member

if there where more schools in the area.....

18. Jointlockmaster

Jointlockmaster New Member

I have been doing taekwondo for ten years as of two moths ago and At my taekwondo academy I also have been doing hapkido on the side but I want to get a better idea of hapkido I know a lot from ten years but not enough and my Blake belt is still technically in taekwondo and not hapkido how can I start hapkido

19. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

1. Don't subscribe to an online instruction course
    2. Don't try to learn from books and magazines
    3. Don't try to learn hapkido from someone that is NOT a hapkido instructor

Find a qualified hapkido instructor and enroll in his or her class. The formula is simple yet the goal is a long and painful one.

20. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

I agree with the above, but also think it may be possible to use some video in conjunction with visits to or from a "live" instructor, especially if you have some hoshinsul type training.

Many hapkido organizations are happy to share their art and will work with Taekwondo schools that want to integrate Hapkido into their curriculum, or start a seperate hapkido class.

It is obviously better the more actual mat time with a quallified instructor that is involved.

If you let us know where you are located, thee may be posters on this forum that you can travel a short distance to to learn from.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011