Hapkido BY Rob

Discussion in 'Other Martial Arts Articles' started by Chazz, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Great article! I dont know a lot about this style but i can say that i did learn from reding this. Well written.

2. Pablo

Pablo New Member

I thought it was a very well done introduction to Hapkido as well. I particularly appreciated the candor in addressing the origins and the different groups within Hapkido.

Thanks

paul

3. waya

waya Valued Member

Thanks,
    I tried to compile as much of both sides of the story as I could..... Noone will ever "prove" which of the two was the real founder and first one to name the art (I have my opinions yes lol) so I thought it was best to include both. There are alot of holes in the history due to the various occupations of Korea, but I managed to find pretty complete info.

Rob

4. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hapkido

Hi Rob,

just wanted you to know, that I thoroughly enjoyed your article on Hapkido. I have to say that it raised a lot of questions for me.

There are some guys training Hapkido in Glasgow, but I never really thought about looking at it before. Your article made me want to check them out, so you obviously transferred your enthusiasm for your art well!

The 'Choi' you mention in the article is no relation to General Choi?
    I'm thinking of Choi Kwan Do, a Korean spinoff of TKD I believe.

The cane is the most interesting thing to me. I read some stuff about this a while back. I'd really like to know how/when and why
    the cane came to be involved. Was it pre/post Charlie Chaplin? On this occasion, this is a serious question!

:confused:

5. waya

waya Valued Member

No, they are of no relation, actually Gen Choi is Choi Hong Hi and the Founder of Hapkido is Yong Sul Choi, one is a first name one is a last lol.

I'm not sure when the cane entered the picture.... still looking into that lol.

6. Chris from CT

Chris from CT Valued Member

Hapkido

Hi.
    I'm new to the forum and I study Hapkido. I read the article and thought that it was one of the most unbiased and well researched articles to date. Too many times in the Hapkido community people try to force their own point of view on someone else. Great Job!!

Take care :)

7. waya

waya Valued Member

Thanks,
    I tried to compile everything I learn about the art into one location, leaving my personal views on who actually founded the art out of it lol.

Rob