Hand Forms

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Cougar_v203, May 26, 2003.

1. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

What are some of the forms you guys use in class.
    Oy I need to find a dojo.

2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Just hand forms?

We do "blocking forms" like Sa-Bang mag-ki (4 direction block) in ahorse stance alternative right arm blocks, left arm blocks, and both arm blocks. We also do "keon sool" (hand techniques), which is a pattern of punching, turning, open handed striking and blocks out of a mix of horse and front stances.
    For the hyeung-se (or poomse, or forms), ours were labelled fairly simply:
    Cho gup hyeung (low level form)
    Choong gup hyeung (Middle level)
    Go gup hyeung (high level)
    Tae Ryeon Hyeung (sparring form)
    (then the dan hyeungs...)

3. Ancient Dragon

Ancient Dragon New Member

I dont know the technical names for them, but we have hammer fist, which is a strike coming inwards or downwards with the outside of your had, the same movement, but with an open hand is our knife hand technique. then theres backfist, which is a strike with the back of your fist, and a bunch more that i cant think of at the moment

4. Wearing Grey

Wearing Grey New Member

Just wanted to throw this into the mix. My instructer is a 9th degree black belt in HKD, and we do not learn any forms. In HKD class we do mostly holds and reversals.

In fact, other than falling techniques and holds and reverals,l we practice sweeping and kicking techniques.

We do not spar either (not in HKD, we do in TKD), but practice the holds and reverses every day on one another.

I have attended for a long time now, and if someone was to grab me on any part of my body I would know the counter to break their arm/fingers/ribs.

But it seems a bit different from what everyone else has said.

I know he is a sound professor, (president in some GA assiciation in MA, cannot remeber which, along with a 8th in TKD and Hwrang Do, he is also from Korea)

I guess there are alot of different teaching styles. From the look of things posted on the board he is traditional but not from anything of the like listed.

We do have horse riding stance, along with hammer fist and along with a number of other things...but we do not practice traditional forms (or kata's, or whatever your use to saying)

Maybe this was of some weight??

Kind Regards

Grey

5. HKD

HKD New Member

most schools do notteach teh forms but there are 5 HKD forms. there are a videos with the form if U check panther productions.
    HKD

6. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

whats the website?

7. jejanim

jejanim New Member

my class doesn't have too many forms either. we have breathing techniques for white, yellow and green belt. we have our various punching, jabbing, kicking and blocking techniques. thats kinda why i like it, i hate forms and katas. they annoy me. we just get to class, stretch, our teacher breaks us in half with crunches pushups and a whole bunch of other exercises...then we spar(TKD style)...then we spend the rest of the class either submission grappling or working on our curriculum. i love it.

jeja

8. ZaCO

ZaCO New Member

The style I practice (Sin Moo Hapkido) doesn't have any forms eather.

9. Thomas

Jejanim (and anyone else):

At your Hapkido school, when you spar, what kinds of rules do you follow?
    Moo Moo Kwan Hapkido basically follows:

Beginner and middle level belts spar with mainly kicks and hand techniques to any target. Some grappling but not much.

For advanced levels, there are basically no-rules. We use strikes anywhere and could take it to the ground in a grapple if we wanted (sometimes 2 on 1). Of course we have to use control so as not to hurt anyone too much.

10. ZaCO

ZaCO New Member

We spar just like you Thomas. Sometimes we wear some protective equipment but not always. And we don't hit the head with full force when we train. We don't have any level requirements though.

11. ZaCO

ZaCO New Member

I just noticed that you don't have much grappling. We do and we have also lots of ground fight training because in competitions it usually goes to ground quite quickly. We have also seperate ground fighting competitions sometimes.

12. Jazman

Jazman New Member

we spar basically TKD rules except we are allowed take-downs of any sort. We practice for speed not power so we do not do "full contact" and we do not allow kicks below the belt in front of the leg, back leg kicks are allowed.

13. Thomas

The Hapkido I learned in Korea didn't have a lot of ground techniques. We did sweeps, throws and take-downs and usually finished with strikes and/or locks on the ground. We didn't go to the guard or mount or such.

Here in the US, I am now with the ICHF (Cheon Doo Kwan, or Combat Hapkido Federation under GM Pelligrini). Combat Hapkido really does a lot of cross-training. There are quite a few senior grandmasters/masters from other styles working for the ICHF, conducting seminars, writing books and making training videos. In class we work quite a bit of ground grappling and do work out of the gurad, side mounts, mounts, and so on. Much of the stuff we use in the ICHF is definately NOT traditional Hapkido, but rather is ablend of very effective techniques taken from various styles. It definately is ideal for cross-trainers who want to improve and/or add new elements to their ability sets.

In class, when we spar in Hapkido class it always begins as a striking match and often ends up on the ground (some of the students are very well trained ground fighters)... Again, some guys want to take it into a grapple and others want to finish with a quick lock or series of strikes. It's very exciting to be able to use your skills against a different style of fighting.

14. John_IHF

John_IHF New Member

In my Hapkido School (IHF) there aren't any Forms either. Just 12 Basic Techniques, 12 Outside Circle Techniques and an Endless combination of defense techniques from different ways of attack.