hamstring "popped"

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by davefly76, Mar 20, 2008.

1. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

hi guys,

i was at sparring class tonight and part of the warm-up was some dynamic stretching (straight leg raises, front, side and back), all was ok until the last set of backward raises.

i threw my left leg back and suddenly felt and heard a loud "pop" from the top of my right hamstring, just underneath my butt cheek and i collapsed in a heap.:cry:

i've put some freeze spray on it and taken some painkillers as it obviously hurts like hell and i can't kick higher than my waist, but has anyone got any idea's on what i've done? or what the popping sound was?

2. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

You might have torn your hamstring. Do not test it further by throwing anymore kicks. See a doctor to get it checked out right away.

Yeah, it sucks.

3. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Ding ding ding!

Get thee to a doctor, stat. Before you really end up with long term damage.

4. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Yeah, sounds like a tear. Off to the doctor (a.s.a.p.) for you.

Sorry to hear about it. I've had a couple minor tears and you gotta take your time and take care of them.

Good luck.

5. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

i've was it a quick pop or a a krrrrrrpop?

i've had both the quick pop was a serious strain, and the krrrpop was a tear more severe than a strain. lay off it for it while. good luck

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Sorry to hear that bro. It sounds not good. There are pops that happen where the leg comes up and meets the hip... but that's not usually that loud and it generally doesn't send you crashing down into a heap on the floor.

Like everyone else has stated. Get it checked out ASAP. A good sports physio is in order ASAP. Have him/her take a look... don't do anything else that will aggravate the situation. Get there NOW!!!!:eek:

7. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

Sounds like you might have a torn ligament there. Not that I know everything just that is what happened to me. So loud even someone else in the room commented about the loud pop.

Been there dun that, torn muscles suck.

8. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

thanks for the advice guys.

i don't think it was as bad as i first thought. it has got better over the last couple of days and i think it was just a serious strain rather than a tear. i helped with classes this morning and it felt ok, although rather tight. if it hadn't improved in those two days i would have taken myself to a&e.

i have no classes now until tuesday night so i'm going to get lots of rest and see how it is then.

cheers, dave.

9. JSun

JSun Valued Member

Yea, I've had that happen to me while doing the ssang pyung soo/dee cha gi in goh gup hyung, Dave. Kerpop! It took a few weeks to feel normal again, but take care of yourself and go easy for a while! Cheers!

10. Dr FeelGood

Dr FeelGood New Member

i had a similar injury doing axe kicks went too high a felt a popping noise :cry: and i also fell to the floor in a heap lol it hurt and limited my kicking for a while but its just one of those things that takes time to heal and get back to your usual self. You must have been trying hard that night man lol