Haedong or Kumdo?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Zatoichi1, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

What was this thread about again? I just read it and I'm somewhat confused.

2. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

That's a bit of a hollow argument really. Do you have anything to say of more substance?

3. usntfhkdkg

usntfhkdkg Banned Banned

Sure, Kumdo in its purest form has all the elements of kendo. armor - bogu / shaini - jukdo. Haedong Kumdo, Koryo Gumdo - jukdo, poomsea. Sparring in Haedong or koryo is different than kumdo. Kumdo is the armor and jukdo.......koryo gumdo is with a different type of masking and done with foam bats.

Also from experience and what I have seen, The haedong Kumdo and Koryo Gumdo are more concentrated on the paper, bamboo cutting and what not.
    Ya know everyone has opinion on poomsea, it is what it is. You dont like it then dont do it. The kata in kendo arent that great in my opinion but they are done because it is part of the art, not a fan of them though. Obviously I didnt give my opinion outright though.

4. Dragonkarma

Dragonkarma Valued Member

Korean martial arts

The Korean government just finished an exhaustive research on traditional martial arts. Along with reps from the IOC( International Olympic Committee ) and independent professors, the group visited every school and association HQ registered in Korea.
    Some of these turned out to be restaurants, vacant lots, or the so called grandmaster's house.

In the end, the following martial arts are the ones validated and certified as Korean Traditional martial arts:
    Kuk Sool Won, Tae Kyun, Hae Dong Gum Do, Serum, Kuk Kung, Tae Kwon do, and ship pal ki. The later was included due to it's long time practice in Korea.

Hapkido is classified as Japanese & is the foreign martial art classification.
    Hwarang do is in the modern martial art section, although Joo Bong Lee us NOT THE FOUNDER.
    a three set DVD collection has been released by the Korean government which includes info on all these arts.
    I only have the 2nd one which is all Kuk Sool Won. I hope to get the others soon.
    In addition, a large textbook is nearly finished which has photos and history of all the real founders of each art. This is also an official Korean government publication and NOT the work of any martial arts association.

The Korean government required that each martial art present official documents to PROVE their identity and legitimacy .
    People who could not were reprimanded and ommitted from the DVD series and the book.
    The book now needs to be translated from Korean into other languages.
    If I get a copy before you guys I will hook you up.

5. usntfhkdkg

usntfhkdkg Banned Banned

Oh,

and not to get all mystical or anything beyond the difference of haedong kumdo and haidong gumdo.......there isnt any. High up grandmaster's had a power struggle and what not. Same kind of this as the Korea Hapkido Federation and the Federation of Korea Hapkido Jin Jung Kwan.

6. usntfhkdkg

usntfhkdkg Banned Banned

Do you have a link to any of this?

7. usntfhkdkg

usntfhkdkg Banned Banned

Ya Know I have a friend that lives in South Korea. He is a hapkido, tae kwon do and judo instructor. He has been living there for years, he had this to say.

ok so i was thinking. daito ryu jujitsu is a japanese art and hapkido was taken from that. However! choi took the art and added korean kicks and defences to it and other korean things hence a korean taking an arts techniques and changing it so it basically all korean with half jap half korean when watching.

I believe thats its half and that should be considered korean as hapkido was founded in korea. ppl say tkd is just karate thought tkd may have had karate influence tkd was a coalition of hwa rang do schools which are as old or older then karate since hwa rang do was the original korean form of self defence then just took hwa rang and change the stances a little.

so if you say HKD is japanese then TKD would be also since its stances are pulled from karate but forms are HRD so would that still be japanese?

also another common misconception is hyundai was a korean rip off of honda. hyundai cars predate honda cars. honda was a bike company. also ppl say hyundai are disposable cars. kia is jap when its korean

ppl say korean stole jap things and gave them korean names:
    honda - hyundai
    karate - TKD
    dito ryu/aikido -HKD HKD predates AIKIDO from 1940's juso no name
    ok- judo - yudo ill give you that because its jap
    judo - serrium - sirruim predates- the first original self defence
    sumo - surrium - sirruim predates since the begining of korea oh 50 million yrs ago.
    karate - HRD

Korea is a small island and knew little of japan before the 1600's or after

I claim japan and japanese martial artist are merely sticking there heads up in the air and being high and mighty as they always have!

also the "visited every school and association HQ registered in Korea.
    Some of these turned out to be restaurants, vacant lots, or the so called grandmaster's house."

haha every dojang in korea is heavily monitored so i see this as bogus.

you can not open a "gym" with out a head org allowing it. you can not open in an area with other school so close and with city councils approval.

Joo Bong Lee IS THE FOUNDER. as hes the one who opened the first school and published and trademarked. So unless he too an art changed the name it doesnt matter he trademarked the name hes the founder.

this is beyond bogus in so many ways and lies by each line you can see as clearly flase. also I would like to see where he learned about this book as i doubt he's korean!

how can several student learn HKD open there own school with there own names that they choose and they be originally korean it makes no sense.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  8. antilie

antilie Valued Member

Choi threatened Ueshiba which was 20 years old older than him from Korea.

It is an adopted child of Takeda Sokaku, and I am a fair successor of Daitoryu.
    Therefore there is not the qualification that you give a successor of Daitoryu.

The fact that was an adopted child of Takeda does not have Choi.
    Because he made the false history, he began it.
    In old days. Korea insisted that Hapkido was the origin of Aikido.

Korea insists that the Japanese martial arts are the Korea origin entirely basically.

And the picture drawn on the wall of the Korean ancient grave becomes it in HKD, TKD, HWD JUDO, the common origin.

It is an American taekwondo teacher to have pursued ITF as Karate in the origin of TKD.
    The founder of TKD admits that taekwondo is copying of Karate.
    It is mentioned in HP of ITF.

The name of TKD when TKD was in U.S.A. was Korean Karate.

http://www.geocities.jp/bxninjin2004/themeoftoday_e/themeoftoday_ec.htm

The judo is originally Jyujutu.
    It is judo to have done briefness of it.
    Judo is a copy of the judo.

HWD is a modern brainchild.
    When Korea was a military regime, it is the history that it forged from the sentence of historical materials to encourage a soldier by Korean War.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtZ2lYKDHA8"]YouTube - Hwarang History[/ame]

Sumo - surrium.  Is it before 5,000,000 years?

HAHAHA

It is the times when an ancestor of the human was born in Africa.
    (In North Korea, I regard it as Korea in the origin of the human.)
    As for the origin of SUMO, I am missing.
    Korean Surrium is near to Mongolia-style.
    Korea was ever ruled by Mongolia.
    In Japan, there is it in the mythical times.

Is it Korea is a small island?

Korea is a peninsula of the Asian Continent.
    Korea is a nation divided in the south and the north.
    There is not the way which enters from south Korea Russia / China by car directly.
    Therefore I answer that "you are the same" for the Korean who makes fun of a Japanese when "Japan is an island".

honda - Is it hyundai?

Hyundai is a company founded by a technical grant from Mitsubishi.
    It is before ten years. Many of cars of Hyundai which ran in Korea were the same as Mitsubishi of 80's.

The nose mark of old days of Hyundai resembled HINO. I model it on Honda now.
    And I let you pronounce Hyundai Hondaei in U.S.A.

In old days. Honda gave it to Daelim technically. When I was stable, and Daelim got possible to produce Supercub, Daelim offered the cancellation of the joint management contract to Honda one-sidedly.

We got possible to make a thing same as you. Give back the investment to you; you return to Japan rattle-rattle!

90's. If the motorcycle which Honda rode in WGP was made by Daelim entirely, in Korea, the Korean believed it.
    (There are few motorcycle races in Korea)

I know that Honda trained a Korean racing rider for Daelim.
    It was MX, but they were inferior to a Japanese professional level.
    In addition, the MX race is not held in Korea.

kIA is the company which took technological assistance from Mazda. Now. KIA belongs to the Hyundai group.

Hyundai and KIA had an office in Japan.
    However, they withdrew entirely from Japan. Because there is much trouble and uses it and is not a success.
    There are less hyundai volumes in Japan than Ferrari.

Is it trademark registration?

In other words it is simple business.
    It has nothing to do with the tradition.

I learn KENDO, JUDO in the course of the compulsory education in Japan.
    By the school, I can study the traditional arts from old times such as Kabuki, Jyoururi, a dance.

9. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Well,,,,,I agree that Korean sword is different than Japanese sword. And I agree that there are plenty of Korean sword people who really suck at what they do. If it were me, though, I wouldn't dismiss all Korean sword as being closer to "XMA". Seems like that would be like saying a lot of Japanese sword people are closer to Obata, wouldn't it?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

10. usntfhkdkg

usntfhkdkg Banned Banned

Man, you drink way too much of the barbaric cool-aid dont you to have an informed and intellectual conversation.

11. Bruce W Sims

From what I was understanding earlier, there seems to be a number of these "apologists" coming to the fore in Japan just like there are "Neo-NAZI-s" (not to be confused with "skin-heads" and "white-supremisists") in Austria and Germany. I get pretty concerned because folks who actually lived through the events of the past are dying-off and that makes it rather easy for revisionists. I don't want to get hung-up on the past but I definitely don't want to pretend like it didn't happen.

In the case of HAEDONG KUMDO, I think its important to remember that it was/is essentially a reconstruction based on Korean "Native sword". Well and good. So lets not pretend that its some unbroken line of practice because it is not. Even Korean GEOM BEOP--- what I continue to practice--- gets pretty hazy prior to the 1920-s. I think its nice that Koreans are interested enough in their past traditions to preserve what they can. I just hope they keep perspective. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

12. usntfhkdkg

usntfhkdkg Banned Banned

Yea Bruce you are right. I have never thought of it more than what it is, a korean art. You would be happy to know that I have gotten to work with Kimm, He-Young before at seminar and training event on some of the old traditional sword work. It was absolutely amazing.

By the way, propaganda is propaganda. One must always take it with a grain of salt. If you enjoy training then continue to do so, if not pack your knap sack get your juice and animal crackers and go somewhere else to train.

13. Bruce W Sims

Yep.....I really like Dr. Kimm. I don't necessarily agree with many of his conclusions but at least he's out there working to get things down pat for the next generation. How can you fault efforts like that?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

14. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Hehe ok, rather than us getting involved in such generalisation, can you post videos of what you think is good KSA? I am specifically interested in quality demonstrations of Haedong Kumdo/Koryo Gumdo - and if you have any grasp of the poomsae themselves, a brief note on what the techniques in the videos are...

15. Bruce W Sims

My own clips are down for the moment and it will be a bit of time before I can get them back up. In the meantime, there is a version of the Korean classic form BON KUK GEOM BEOP albeit with a two-handed sabre rather than a single-handed. Let me see if I can find that...........

Ok........ here is the form---again this is with a two-handed sabre and not with the traditional single-handed.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwFvkAL-zFo"]YouTube - Bon Gook Kum Bop[/ame]

The "Native Sword Method" contains the KEBONSU (lit:"core techniques") for the way that the Korean culture used the TO or "single-handed sabre"..... perhaps as far back as the 8th Century..... as reported by MAO Yuan-i in his writing in the 16th Century. I can make a list of the techniques as named in the MUYE TOBO TONG JI but it won't provide much insight into the correlating biomechanics. Is this what you were looking for?

BTW: Just a side comment. Just like the Korean KWON BEOP material, the various methods (K. "BEOP") in the form I cited can be teased-out and recombined to produce variety of results and to adress a variety of situations---Teaching, training, combat or demo--- just like any other forms. I don't practice HAE DONG KUMDO, but my own impression of their approach is to do exactly this with the techniques found in the original Korean classic. Which is why there are a number of POOMSE (lit: "forms") in their curriculum. FWIW.

BTW #2: The following may help in your request. The individual is demonstrating individual BEOP (lit: "methods") of using the sword. The problem is that once again he is using a two-handed sword to demonstrate what are YE-DO (lit: "short sword") techniques. In your parlance this would be like using a WAKAZASHI to perform techniques intended for a KATANA. All the same it may provide some insights. FWIW.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFQl0vjBrWE&feature=related"]YouTube - Korean Martial Art Sword Form - YeDo ISibSaSe(24 forms)[/ame]

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  16. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Hmmmm, still not a massive fan, but I do appreciate the lack of XMA lunacy that I have seen in other KSA vids.

Why is it that Bonguk Geombeop is supposedly practiced by the Haedong guys and yet their demos are ridiculous and look nothing like this?

I think a useful article is in order to help us JSA bods differenciate between what you would consider traditional KSA and the modern rubbish.

17. Bruce W Sims

I swear to you, Scott, I have scatched my head over exactly this same issue for years now. I remember once I was involved in a heated discussion with some folks who were studying HDKD under a Korean and in response to an observation, was challenged: "Oh, now you're saying that you know more than my teacher, huh?" The embarrassing fact is that they are, by far, more interested in building a commercial success than being concerned if what they are doing has any veracity. The chances of ANYBODY ----not just me---knowing more than the typical HDKD teacher are actually pretty good, especially in view of how the organization spread itself here in the States.

In my own case, I was just plain "damn lucky" to have found the sword master I did right here in Chicago, and even then, he wasn't all that willing to teach me traditional sword since he made his income from promoting KUMDO.

And you are absolutely "spot-on" as far as getting something published so that people can begin to appreciate what traditional Korean sword is compared to some of this commercial tripe. Its certainly in the works, but its gonna take a while. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

18. Bruce W Sims

Seems as though information ought to be available through the Korean government or its various embassies and counselates. Any ideas where a person could start looking for information on this effort?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

19. usntfhkdkg

usntfhkdkg Banned Banned

Bruce PM me ok?

20. rino1901

rino1901 Valued Member

I have been looking for this book simce my friend told me about this thread I have yet to find it.

Hyundai was founded with a mitshibishi grant but in korea. so if america gave the grant instead of japan would it be the same.
    And I let you pronounce Hyundai Hondaei in U.S.A., I have always pronounced hyundai as hyundai i have never heard it as hondai what is that?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011