Gunfighting martial art or martial not

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rataca100, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Not massively to be honest mate no. It goes against what you've done in this thread in previous posts from what I remember. The bit about 20 people can operate a machine as wrong as 1 can comes to mind.

I meant to say I agreed with the point about, say, any police officer in America is issued a gun, that doesn't make all of them experts on firearms. I don't see what people found wrong with that. Poor training exists, morons exist, and so forth. However, that's different to having Hannibal for example on here giving his well founded views and it being discounted. Its different to him pointing out mainstream instruction agrees with him and that being discounted. My issue is you seem to shift the goalposts a bit whenever you come up against something you don't like.

Unless your issue is you want to be shown peoples experience literally, in which case being on a forum is kind of moot seeing as most of us don't share videos and certainly not to back up every point. And if you do mean you want to be shown experience for it to exist, then again, picking and choosing here. On this thread you want proof of peoples experience before you listen to them. But on your thread about walking with heavy loads when you were given advice you liked you didn't demand proof of their experience walking with loads before you listened to them.

2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I would just like to point out that Hannibal is a CANADIAN police officer and thus most of his firearms work consists of protecting maple trees from bears.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

And then apologizing

4. Hannibal

Although as I am English and from Manchester I will also swear profusely as I do so

Dead_pool, David Harrison and Mitlov like this.
  5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

If you’re originally from Manchester, why are you even using a gun against the bear? Wouldn’t you, y’know, just headbutt it then glass it?

Mitch, Dan93, Hannibal and 2 others like this.
  6. Hannibal

then shoot it and nick its trainers

Mitch, Dan93, Mitlov and 2 others like this.
  7. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Fair do's, i am arguing with multiple people which shifts some things sometimes. (consciously or unconsciously)

I need to drill into my head to make clear premsies of arguments that support a conclusion.

Racist, he protects them from Moose. Bears is Alaskan state troopers not the RCMP. :p

8. Hannibal

I am not RCMP

Langenschwert likes this.
  9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Let’s try to keep this realistic. We’re talking about BEARS here. They live in the woods and thus wear hiking boots, not trainers.

Hannibal likes this.
  10. Hannibal

Maybe your snooty european Bears do....

Dead_pool likes this.
  11. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

So you acknowledge that drilling is important with words...but you won’t acknowledge the importance of structured drilling with firearms?

At this point I’m questioning if you’re just intentionally trolling. I have never in my life met someone who was so dismissive of the value of training with firearms before using them for defensive purposes. Sure, I’ve met people who are like “yeah, X amount of training would be valuable, but I just can’t be bothered,” but I’ve never before met someone who said “you know everything you need to know within your first four dozen shots at a range, and any other training is a waste.”

Dead_pool likes this.
  12. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

No no no, I’m American. Our bears don’t have boots, they have machine guns. Bear arms are right there spelled out in the Second Amendment.

Mitch and Hannibal like this.
  13. Hannibal

[​IMG]

Mitch and Mitlov like this.
  14. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

I acknowledge doing training has its place, im just arguing about doing it under an instructor. Or should be arguing that anyway

Edit: That was a terrible joke that i only just got now, "bear arms". Shame on you. :p

15. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

How the heck do you know what to train, and whether you’re training effective or ineffective habits and mechanics, if you’re NOT doing it under an instructor? We’re not talking about watercolor or poetry where “good” is subjective. We’re talking about applying lethal force with a complex mechanical device.

16. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

If you are going to fail, then you may as well do it big style.

Take a moment to think about every course, every seminar, every day at school / college / university, every day in training and you'll realise why you are wrong.

Hannibal and Mitlov like this.
  17. Hannibal

Sadly no he won't

18. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Redact that, i stupidly forgot there are quite a few shooting stances you can learn. I presume each one of those has a slight variation in drawing a firearm if they look at drawing a firearm from a holster that is.

You have to go out with a bang.

Yes i get the point. More uses with a teacher with the pre requisite they are good enough to teach.

Not everyone finds them equally useful and it doesnt mean you cant some understanding of a concept before they teach it to you.

19. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Should have listened to your teacher it seems.

20. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

If you actually attended a class, you’d realize how basic this question is. Drawing a firearm, especially from concealment, is a complex and potentially dangerous process. Saying “there are multiple shooting stances and I presume each one has a slight variatino in drawing a firearm” shows an inability to even identify practical problems and safety problems, not to mention an inability to successfully deploy a firearm in an emergency.

Holy moving goalposts, Batman! In post 85 you disputed that formal training was “beneficial” to using a firearm in a real-life self-defense situation. Now you’re just saying you can gain “some understanding of a concept” before first attending class. Those are two totally different issues.

I have some understanding of the concept of open-heart surgery. I have no business actually conducting open-heart surgery in real life. Those are two different issues.

But based on your other comments about drawing a firearm, you haven’t even hit “some understanding of a concept” yet.

Mitch likes this.