Gunfighting martial art or martial not

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rataca100, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

The reowrding is better, if you can direct that to how my premises as stated on the first page are wrong, it would be much obliged. (in a objective manner would be appreciated)

I meant formal training to clear that up nor am i denying somone who does 10 hours of practical based shooting a month would be better than somone who does one every six months.

I still stand by that. You dont need formal training. Not going to deny its uses, but as a requirement, no.

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

What experience do you base that assertion on?

Mitlov and Dead_pool like this.
  3. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

By the fact i have operated firearms safely without formal training and could shoot somone with them. As in i didn't muzzle sweep anyone, the muzzle never left the shooting area and i dmeostrated the ability to use said firearm by shooting it.

I can provide evidence of targets. (not from shotgun though)

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

What's the sample size, I. E. For how many minutes/hours did you do this?

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You don't need formal training to punch someone in the face either

I don;t care how much you stand by it, it is an asinine statement made by someone who lacks experience and credentials to make it and flies in the face of every single gun training course and advocate out there including myself

philosoraptor, axelb, Mitlov and 3 others like this.
  6. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

5 rounds for a shotgun, and 10 for a rifle, year break, 5 round shotgun 10 rifle. Air rifle i did 14 shots (same year, i believe). Its the same thing in theory, finger off trigger, no muzzle sweeping people etc. Bear in mind trained people can have negligent discharges and unsafely handle firearms.

I will get back to you once i get back

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

44 shots isn't enough time to say anything about your skills/lack of skills, it's like taking a non driver around a car park once and saying look how safe you are, you haven't crashed once.

It's safety over time that's important, you can't expraolate from such a limited sample and make any meaningful conclusions.

philosoraptor and Knee Rider like this.
  8. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Hope you enjoy the TKD session!

9. SCA

SCA Former Instructor

I take it you don't want to admit when you're wrong, but must you advocate for something so ignorant and dangerous? A better way of thinking about this would be: you can never have enough training or safety when it comes to firearms.

Latikos, Dead_pool, Mitlov and 2 others like this.
  10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Being able to safely punch holes in paper is VERY different than being able to safely and effectively use a firearm to stop a situation where you are in imminent fear for your life.

If you can follow Cooper’s Four Rules in a calm, controlled environment, you’re ready to start firearms training, but that doesn’t mean you’re good to go for use in life-and-death situations.

11. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

44 shots isn’t even a substantial single visit to the range in my opinion. It certainly is not enough experience to start lecturing others about firearms use at the range, not to mention in self-defense situations.

I don’t mean to be rude, but you’re utterly unqualified to be offering the opinions you’re offering, and with this subject matter, where bad information can have life-or-death consequences, that’s not okay.

12. Hannibal

I blow through 45 in a single qualifier that lasts less than 3 minutes

philosoraptor and Mitlov like this.
  13. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Fair dos, target shooting isnt the best for actual combat. I could go through the motions using a (two tone)airsoft gun which would be equal to unloaded firearm in terms of keeping finger of trigger while drawing transitioning etc. Actually, could do it with a loaded airsoft gun so you know if you pulled the trigger while quick drawing. Now thats entirely diffrent to shooting a actual firearm in a combat situation, but its the motions if i where to train at a range for example, thats probbly the safest way to practice quick drawing, is to have a unlaoded psitol or a replica of said pistol.

Ff that has any relevance or not i dont know. XD

Aprox and it would be more if i could do it at any time. I have been safe for the peroid of time i do it. Its not like i was the one who muzzle swept my foot witha 12 gauge loaded with clay pigeon shot at close range, cough.

What if they crash though and its a empty car park?

It wasnt a range visit either, i really need to see if i can get a lift to one of the ones near me to do shooting. It seems like it would be cheaper and leave some reason and some people to sign for me if i persued a licence. (if its consitent enough)

When a argument that is made which is not using my lack of experience as a means to invalidate said argument.

I dont think you should carry a CCW without at least going to a range for at least target shooting at least once a month with said firearm, buit i dont think you need to do the reverse and invest in past what is legally required to get any permits to carry.

Forgot to mention, you might miss out on good theory if you dont do classes though with actual instructors to understand thing, but if thats valid or not depends on the theory and its importance. :p

(excuse habit as well, i am stubborn and if i stop respondign for a peroid time i have given in, i just dont admit it, thats what chat rooms do to you. XP)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  14. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Why do you keep mentioning clay pigeon shooting in a post about self defense? That's training for bird hunting, not self defense. (Skeet is a sport based off duck hunting, and trap is a sport based off hunting upland birds like quail).

It's not the most outlandish thing you've said in this conversation, but as someone who has competed in a couple of local trap leagues, and shot God only knows how many rounds of trap, it's a real had scratcher to me.

philosoraptor and Dead_pool like this.
  15. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Because pigeons are damn dangerous. The theme of the thread has drifted a fair bit. Its not as a citation to it as a good means of self defence, but gun safety doesnt overly change from sport to sport.

Just think, if you have to shoot a German disk grenade, you will be glad you did Clay pigeon shooting. XP

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'm getting a message from Fairbairn and Sykes
    Do a little research on Fairbarin and Sykes and their work on handgun shooting around the 1940s for a better understanding of training required. They came to some interesting conclusions which have been incorporated into firearms training and which have continued to evolve ever since.

Mitch

philosoraptor and Hannibal like this.
  17. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Which book(s)? I have a "get tough" free PDF but i dont think that goes into point shooting, unless i missed your point. The main point i know, they taught point shooting and entphisised the importance of learning it.

18. Hannibal

And actually TRAINING in it

Seriously i don't care how much you dislike the counter point you are flat out wrong

All have an equal right to an opinion; not all opinions are equally right

19. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Yeah getting a pistol, shooting from the hip. :p Dont need to train under either of them to learn it or get good at it.

Can you provide a counter argument more than that and because i am inexperience thus my basis is wrong?

Opinion cannot always be reduced to right or wrong, my problem with that saying.

20. Hannibal

Well we have every combat shooting instructor, agency and experienced user in the world advocating that approach on the one hand and someone who has hardly even shot a gun on the other

Tricky isnt it?