Gunfighting martial art or martial not

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rataca100, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Of course training and awareness both matter! That's why Jeff Cooper, the father of modern handgun shooting, not only came up with the numbered "conditions" to describe the state of a 1911 handgun itself ("condition one" referenced above is chamber loaded, hammer back, safety on), but also created the colored "conditions" to describe mental states, and created the Gunsite Academy to teach and drill skills for effective use. As he said, "Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."

"Cooper's colors" of situational awareness: Cooper’s colors: A simple system for situational awareness

Gunsite Academy: Gunsite Academy

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Which is how I interpreted aikiMac's post. I'm not sure why you were admonishing him. :confused:

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ya, that. I appreciate it. :)
    Self-defense is *a lot* more than being able to shoot 3-inch groups at 25 yards and then reload the clip all in a couple seconds.

I would say it's actually mostly about stopping the situation before anyone fires the gun. :eek:

David Harrison likes this.
  4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I responded and followed up on his post, but I certainly didn't intend my post to be an "admonishment" of him. Maybe tone is getting lost in translation?

5. David Harrison

Ah, sorry. Must have misjudged the tone. My bad!

6. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Can you elborate as to what makes them "nope".
    I could have added another premise being that all unarmed fightign revolves aroudn the deployment of a firearm and getting to a fieearm or securing a firearm and that it doesnt lack hand to hand fighting its just based around a firearm. Kind of how like you get those weapon based martiala rts which are solely to teach you that weapon but are joined with others.

The conclusion in this instance is from the premises drawn above.

Irrelevant and nope

And by extension some areas let you defend your home (in general) with lethal force and property/livelihood. So it doesnt have to be a homicide situation to have a firearm present. There are no general laws in regards to this though as some let yous tand ground, some dont, most i think let you defend your house in some fashion should someone break in though or try to. Granted thats mostly watchign videos on people talking about stand your ground laws, castle laws etc. Its more of a ethics question if you would shoot somone stealing from you or not than legal one in some places. If its a legal homicide it doesnt matter anyway, because thats legit protection of self, friend, member of public or property etc. (yes i know member of public is dodgy, but i dont think anyone is going to hate you if you shoot somone beating somone to death on the floor apart from the persons family you shot anyway...)

Is the reason why that looks like it lacks good order and explanation because its a intro to the series? The video pixilations are annoying in it also.

Hopefully they don't forget point shooting is a thing and you dont need to draw and use full sights to shoot somone, still 3 (?) Foot rule. Will look into that one later.

By the way, i am not one of those .45ACP in the torso makes all the problems go away people. *shivers*

The "practical" shooting disiplines are usually the ones they train people to do actual combat shooting with and hold some relivence with it, there are no general rules for what makes soemthing practicle though, its just moving and shooting. Also, dont forget, Shotgun and Rifle. :p

Sorry, had to mass reply people.

7. SCA

SCA Former Instructor

You were comparing weapon performance and stated firearms outperform other weapons.

8. SCA

SCA Former Instructor

(Missed window to edit previous post)

As a blanket statement like the one you originally made, that's false Rataca.

9. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Elaborate.

Firearms do perform better in far more situations than other weapons can. They can work at ranges given to knives and other weapons or at distances up to and exeeding 500 meters. (no knife is going to work at anything but CQB distances and firearms work at those distances too)

(3 foot rule is for drawing, put two or more shots on target and moving out of the way of a charging opponent, the clearance is still needed but not so relevant if you have the firearm drawn.

Also, "irrelevant and nope" is for the pre quote part of your response, i do it in order, so i work down instead of quoting everything specifically i am replying to. I will elborate more on that if needed. To eliborate a bit, its in resposne to "is this suppose to be a rounabout way to claim you are a martial artist".

10. SCA

SCA Former Instructor

Stating the obvious here but as far as performance is concerned, the sole purpose of a firearm is to kill. The overwhelming vast majority of self defense situations do not, and should not, involve homicide.

Hannibal likes this.
  11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Firearms are an effective tool, but not always optimal. You cannot injure to degree, they are subject to jamming, you need to know your BBB before you can fire, there is a high risk for collateral damage and they are not universally legal

As you neither own, train nor use one personally or professionally most of this is entirely speculative or simply parroting someone else - as someone who owns AND uses they are not a panacea and I can count on one hand the encounters I have been in that have had a firearm requirement

Do you mean the "21ft rule" (more accurately known as Tueller Drill)?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  12. David Harrison

Not the first aid mnemonic?

13. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

And stating another obvious, it kills better than any other tool. Good deterrent if used actively and well. Nobody carries a weapon for self defence and then deploys it without the intent if needed to main and/or incapciate and/or kill the person they drew it on/for. The same could be said for if you learn martial arts, you must have the intent to kill somone if needed in self defence situations, its that or you usually come out worse as the opponent doesnt mind maiming or killing you. (most self defence is incapcitation to varying degree or that which leads to death though, making the

You generally end the threat as fast as possible, a firearm facilitates that better than other weapons and gives people lacking in stregth and fitness a fighting chance.

Im not arguing ethics nor was that the orginal point of my post. To get a clear understanding i dont have a ethical view aagisnt killing in legitimate self defence and if its needed or the person percived it in the moment as being needed. Naturally most people dont want to kill people they know or like. (cant be helped in some cases)

(in this instance i kind of am arguing ethics, im just arguing with you)

I use them but dont own them as a result i dont use them often. Can you elaborate as to what BBB is, i may know something similar by a diffrent name. Most firearm safety is commonsense though, like not pointing a loaded firearm at anything you dont want to destroy, keeping finger off trigger unless you are ready to fire etc, at best you might need training in terms of hang fires and things like that and to perfect shooting for self defence and combat. (not going to mention i kept the safety off as i left a rifle at a shooting pop up range *cough*) Forgot to mention, there us use for formal training on a legal standpoint and to refine skills and make them stick into your head and msucle memeory etc.

Like is said above, i am not one of those .45ACP solves all problems people, and i dont have the stance that a firearm would make eveyrthting else irrelivent like why would you draw and try to use sights when the person is just outside of your arms distance? Its also not a guranteed one shot ends the threat then.

Jsut out of intrest, you live in the U.K dont you? So do you mean persoianlly owns them or uses them as part of a secuirty job?

Yep, 21 foot rule, i always forget the distance and dont use imperial so i cant logic it.

If its any cosnideration, i want to try practical shot gun, rifle and pistol. :p Looks quite fun.

(also, my basing is in the U.S, sadly its the largest english speaking country which allows firearms for use in self defence)

What did i tell you lot about acornyms and me as well? I have been in a military discord it is hell on earth with acryonyms. XD

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

No I live in Canada and I am an LEO (having also been one in the UK) and I own several personal firearms in addition to my service Glock. I am also a trainer of LEO and military and also teach weapon retention and deployment to CCW holders and private citizens who travel

BBB refers to Behind, Beside and Between

axelb, Dead_pool and David Harrison like this.
  15. SCA

SCA Former Instructor

Indeed.

16. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Guess here.

is that by any chance in refrence to backstop for shooting and taking fire and who is beside you and suspect you need to shoot at who may be in cross fire? (going to google it after that, i just like guessing :p)

17. David Harrison

Yeah, but Rataca went to a rifle range one time, so I think you should show due deference.

Mitlov and Dead_pool like this.
  18. David Harrison

I've got a great image of you telling your knife-wielding attacker to wait a minute while you get your tape measure out :D

19. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Then asking them the conversion rates because i cant read the measurements? They will respect my wishes if they value science! :p

Twice actually and i did Clay pigeon shooting and air rifle shooting. :p It was a AR-15 styled .22lr semi auto to be precise.

[edit]Im going to make the entire USMC submit with one Ruger 10/22 with a 10 round magazine. XP

20. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

In that case it's proven!
    Hannibal should really keep quiet now, he can't argue with that experience at work!

David Harrison and Hannibal like this.