Greetings

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Flying Crane, May 3, 2020.

1. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

hello everyone, new member here. I’ve been on some other forums for a bunch of years, just recently stumbled onto this one. I see one or two familiar names here that I know from elsewhere.

I’ve lived in the San Francisco, California Area for a bunch of years and recently moved to the Sacramento, California Area.

I’ve been training since 1984 when I was in junior high school. My training history includes Tracy lineage kenpo, capoeira, Wing Chun, taiji, and Tibetan White Crane, and a bit of dabbling here and there with some other things. I’ve been training Tibetan White Crane for a couple decades or so and is what I spend all of my training time on now, I’ve pretty much let everything else drift away.

I’m looking forward to getting to know the folks here and have some great discussions.

2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Welcome to MAP FC, glad you are here

3. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Welcome. Is that Lama,Hop Gar,or Pak Hok line? I've had good relations with some Pak Hok folk.

4. Flying Crane

Bak Hok, from San Francisco Area. Luk Chi Fu and Tang Joc Meng lineage, from Ng Sui Jung.

5. Flying Crane

In what area do you reside, and who are the Bak Hok folks that you know?

6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Welcome! Did one of those previous forums include CyberKwoon? I recognize your username and profile picture.

7. Flying Crane

no, I’ve been active on Martialtalk and Kenpotalk since the earlier 2000s

Xue Sheng and Mitlov like this.
  8. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Finger Lakes region of New York. One of my old stablemates was active for some time in Chan,Hok-fu's school in NYC. Was friends with Kwong,Yu-chan from Hong Kong for years,as well as some of his longtime students,including his asst. who later studied Fu Hok Hung Gar w/me.

Luk,Chi-fu? Cool! My Hung teacher's master was also a follower of Luk -as evidenced by the demand for his lion dancing here in the US.

9. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

Welcome we sometimes had a nice discussion on other forums, this forum however is the best one out there.

Mitlov, Flying Crane and Xue Sheng like this.
  10. Xue Sheng

NY, about 200 miles to the left of me :D

11. Flying Crane

Interesting. A couple of those names are familiar to me, Chan Hok-Fu in particular. I know there is an East Coast Lineage through Chan Tai-San if memory serves, David Ross and those folks and I believe they are calling it Llama Pai. I’ve never met them, I’m just aware of them.

I was a student of Bryant Fong in San Francisco for over a decade, then he took me to meet his Sifu Quentin Fong in 2009 who accepted me into his group and he has been my Sifu ever since. Sifu Quentin trained White Crane and Choy Lay Fut under Sifu Luk Chi-Fu in Hong Kong in the 1950s, then became a disciple of Tang Ja-Meng. He still runs a small training group with his disciples in his back yard in San Francisco.

I would have asked to become his disciple, but just as I was reaching that level some family responsibilities (I became a parent) interrupted my training for a few years and I just was not in a position to make that commitment. For the last couple years I’ve been working hard to get back regular with my training again, and if there is a silver lining in this Covid-19 crap it is that with the home isolation Ive had a lot more time to dedicate to my training.

At any rate, life took some turns and we were no longer able to stay in the San Francisco Area because of the expense, so last year we moved up to the Sacramento area. I was still going back to SF every few weeks to train with Sifu, but of course with Covid that has ended for now.

Sifu has given me permission to begin a training group here and start teaching, and of course just as I was starting to put out my feelers to see what might be possible, along comes Covid and screws everything up.

Ah well. Someday this too shall pass.

12. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Is that facing N,E,S, or W? I'm near Cayuga Lake.

Chan,Hok-fu was a disciple of Ng.Moved to Australia around 1970,then to NY in 76 or so. It's Pak Hok,not Lama.

Ah,yes.I remember the Fongs from articles in mags-years ago.Probably have some of them in my boxed archives.
    Thanks,wasn't aware Luk also did CLF.

I done forgot.An old friend name o' Charles DeCosta teaches in Denmark,was a student of above mentioned Chan,Kwong-yu-(my error above,NOT Kwong,Yu-chan.Can't believe I did that!).Chan is probably retired now but was a professor at Kowloon U.Sorry,can't remember the name of Chan's teacher in Hong Kong.Probably in my archives.Chan came over from HK to pursue advanced degrees around '79.

Flying Crane likes this.
  13. Flying Crane

Yes, Chan Hok-Fu was in Australia, I did not know he then came to New York. I wasn’t sure if we were talking about the same guy until you clarified that.

Chan Tai -San was David Ross’ and Steve Ventura’s teacher and I believe from a different lineage that they are referring to as Lama Pai. I can’t believe I called it Llama Pai, I guess that would be Peruvian kung fu...

14. Xue Sheng

North, a bit north of the Capital District

15. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Don't give anybody ideas.All we need is 3,000 year old traditional Andean Wu Shu teachers popping up,like the Tibetan "T'ai Chi."

As to llamas,I hear they're easier to milk than yaks!

Flying Crane likes this.