GRAPPLING DUMMY

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by julio kodokan, Aug 8, 2012.

1. julio kodokan

julio kodokan MUAY THAY & BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU Student

Could anyone advice me a good GRAPPLING DUMMY for jiujitsu training?
    There are a few ones made in U.S.A and maybe U.K.,I would be pleased to have any informations about their quality and your personal experience.
    Thanks a lot.OSS.

2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

If you can afford a leather one (about $450), it's better than the plastic one (about $175). I have a 90 lb plastic one. within 3 years, both arms and waist are all broken. I had to use duck tape to tape it.

3. julio kodokan

Thanks a lot for that information! Have you heard about bubba grapling dummy (U.S.A made)? I have to import one cause I am in Brazil...

Thanks again!!!! OSS

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2012
  4. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Jt took a look at one. Looks like a good design but the one I found

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bubba-Dummy-Jitsu-Judo-Grappling/dp/B000KUU1U4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_3"]Bubba Dummy II Jiu Jitsu Judo Grappling Dummy: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

doesn't say if it's leather or vinyl. Pretty expensive if it's vinyl. Also are you using it for practising throws or just for ground techniques. It's pretty light for practising throws.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2012
  5. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Title MMA

I have 4 different size grappling dummies from title. They are well made and a teaching "must have" I have two kid sizes and two adult sizes.

They are good for hip throws, double leg take downs and single leg takedowns. I find them useless for arm bars and rather cumbersome for shoulder throws since the arms are not practical

Overall, I have had good success with title products.

By the way, I have 30lb, 50lb, 70lb and 120lbs. It's great to always have an uke around. LOL

6. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I don't get it?

Whats the value in a grappling dummy in BJJ? And why so light?

I can't see any point from a 'throwing around' perspective.

I'm 180lbs and I feel guilty throwing around anyone under 155lbs.

I can see an MMA value in ground and pound, dropping elbows etc, but I'd rather grab a human myself.

7. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

If you are talking about this one. It may be good for ground work training. It won't be good for throwing training.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QneA8D67JHo"]Grappling Workout: Rolling With Bubba II Dummy - YouTube[/ame]

This is the one that I'm talking about. When you train with your throwing dummy. Make sure you lift that dummy from the ground "slowly". Otherwise you may hurt your elbow joint big time. Don't lift it off the ground so fast like the following clip did.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDHRSvfU9_I"]under hook - YouTube[/ame]

You can abuse your throwing dummy anyway you like. You can't do that to your training partner.

To throw a 90 lb dummy may be more difficult than to throw a 200 lb guy. There is a big difference between dead weight and live weight. Even 120 lb dummy may be too heavy. You should have fun when you throw it. If you feel it's hard work, you may not be like to throw it when you are 80 years old.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  8. julio kodokan

Thank you very much indeed for your help and good videos! OSS from Brazil

9. julio kodokan

Hello ! Thanks for your comments.Dummy is not a substitute for regular "dojo training" and "randori".However it can be useful to review the ground technics in the meantime, when you are too busy to go to the gymn meet your fellows to practise.I guess its much more useful in the ground than in throwing as a lonely training.Rgeards.OSS.

10. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Just be wary of getting the Bubba. I hate to be "that guy" but I recall a few guys I've known over the years ordering their Bubbas and due to some kind of mail mix-up never received theirs nor could get their money back and in one case were treated quite rudely. Considering how expensive they are that's a downright shame.

11. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Dead Weight

You know who; took the words right out of my mouth. It's dead weight. I have the smaller ones for kids that I teach. A 140lb grappling dummy is a throwing monster. LOL

12. hardball

hardball Valued Member

The real value in a grappling dummy is throwing practice.

13. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

The thing is sometimes you go to class and learn a couple techniques then don't practise them until your next class. Sometimes you don't even get the chance to pratise them in the next couple of classes. You end up forgetting how to do them and just practising the same stuff you already knew over and over again. If you have a grappling dummy you can run through your techniques at home until you know them with out thinking. Then you can actually try using them next time you grapple in class.

14. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You can train some throws but not all throws with it. You can use it to train "outer hook (Kosoto Gake)" but you can't use it to train "inner hook (Ouchi Gari)" because there isn't much space betwe the dummy's legs. Also it's hard to train "hip throw" with the vinyle dummy because it doesn't bend at the waist area.

It has advantages as:

- You can abuse it anyway you want to, it won't complain.
    - It will be available to you 24/7.
    - You can develop skill, strength, and condition at the same time.
    - If you hang your dummy by a rope, it can be a good striking target.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  15. Knoxy

Knoxy Undisputed and Undefeated

The most important advantage:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-ogFha00Uw"]suplex training - YouTube[/ame]

Everyone loves a good suplex.

16. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Video 1 makes me think of deliverance. Video 2 makes me think like a dag - stop playing with your blow up doll and throw the damn ball back at me.

Live training FTW