Grapplers/Wrestlers superior to boxers?!???

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Myke_Tyson, Dec 11, 2006.

1. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Valued Member

Okay was up yall haven't been back in a very long time. My two cents are as follows suppose the wrestler goes for a take down what if he got hooked in the face. I saw a fight at my school where a guy who wrestled tried to take down my freind who is a boxer. Once he wrapped his legs so he could slam him on the ground. Once he started to lift my freind. My freind punched him in the kidneys and then punched him in the side of the head. The wrestler was then on the ground. Then he got stomped out by some other kids from the crowd.

2. Myke_Tyson

Myke_Tyson Banned Banned

WTF. Why did the OTHER kids stomp the wrestler out???

lol what were they pretending to fight in a bar or a prison setting or something? tee hee.
    Or were the kids trying to act like bad ass gangbangers from South Central L.A? They just don't give a **** about no 187 case!

3. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Because thats what people do in fights? I guess you've never been in one before...

4. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

So, the lesson to be learned is that the striker isn't as good as the wrestler, but that the real key is to have friends in the crowd?

Dammit. I knew I was doing something wrong all those years! I got into fights all the time in school, and just about every one of them went to the ground, unless there was a weapon involved.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Riiiight.
    t3h d34d733 highschool b3atd0wn!!

For someone to get hooked in the face on a shoot is supposing a lot.
    For someone to be doing a high-crotch takedown or a single leg takedown (either of which are similar to what you've described) - and to get taken out by punches to the kidney is highly unlikely.

I doubt your story.
    It sounds like total BS by the way. :D

6. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

How can you hook someone, while being lifted, with enough power to ko them?

You cant.

Sprawl and kneeing him in the head is more effective.

7. Myke_Tyson

Myke_Tyson Banned Banned

I've been in panty raids..... :love:

8. Myke_Tyson

Myke_Tyson Banned Banned

I've seen a fight in high school where stuff didn't get taken down to the ground. Most of it was stand up striking, head smashes into plastered wall, knee's, grabbing and punching etc etc. This was with two average weight/height dudes though. This fight was the typical punch, grab, kick flurries, with a few quick seconds of rest cuz the two tired out fast(not boxers i guess lol). The teacher had a hard ass time controlling the two students, so they called the hall monitors up. lol.

Another time I was around a fight that took place between a very very big(okay fat!) dude vs a very very small(okay skinny!) dude. Guess what?
    This fight took to the ground.
    With the fat dude on top of the skinny dude. Skinny dude was all panicky and stuff. Imagine fighting some guy who weights at least 200 pounds more than you in the school hall way near a bunch of plastic recycling cans. I think the fat dude pounced on the skinny dude against the cans before marinating him onto the floor :D ewwww. That was a messy and quick scuffle. I don't think the "big" :rolleyes: dude did any grappling or wrestling though.

9. GoldenTiger

Yes a fight at school....... in an area with a very high crime rate...... where they have metal detctors at school in the door way before you come in. That sounds like a fitting area for a fight to end like this. He lifted him as if you would lift someone by the legs and straight into the air. Now if you head is against his belly and that means his arms are free and all you have to do is slam him to the ground. With free arms my freind swung at his face this caused him to sort of lose control. So from this point the wrestler got distracted to the point where my freind was able to hit him another time so he could be lowered and his feet touched the ground. Now we are in somewhat of a sprawl position. Now my freind has the guy's head tucked under his stomach and begins to pound on his back and kidneys ribs etc... The wrestler is on the ground. The fake thugs from the crowd come to stomp him out cause he fought like a punk. I have lost a fight to a grappler because he ducked my jab tackled me to the ground and repeatedly slammed me. I am not saying that the wrestler suck I am just saying that in a real fight I don't think that a boxer will stick to fighting how he does in the ring. But the hell with my example. IN THE END THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IS WHO HAS MORE SKILL IN THIER ART!!!!!!!!!You don't have to beleive in my example either I know what I saw and I stand by it. PERIOD!!!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  10. slipthejab

oooh... with all caps for emphasis. :p

11. GoldenTiger

It true though. In the end its all about who is better in their art. Put Gracie against Tyson in his Prime and who ever has trainned harder will win.

12. Myke_Tyson

Myke_Tyson Banned Banned

I think Tyson would have. Tyson was a street fighter first. He does whatever is needed to get out alive and on top. I mean
    are Holyfield's ears not living proof enough ???

Yummy. Reminds me of a time I was at a Vietnamese wedding and they had crispy crunchy pig ears as snacks. It tasted good! Sweet and crunchy! :love: But not too sweet.

13. Myke_Tyson

Myke_Tyson Banned Banned

:love:

I think Golden Dragon would be a more fitting name with that avatar of Bruce Lee of his

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

He also ran away in terror from Teddy Atlas when Teddy took him away from Mike's "comfort zone"

Tyson was/is a boxer NOT a streetfighter. It is worth noting that in all teh fights he had outside the ring he punched and punched alone (Mitch Green springs to mind). That kind of negates the "str33t fight3r" tag people are so ken to affix to him.

15. Myke_Tyson

Myke_Tyson Banned Banned

What about the fights he had b4 he turned 13 and went to Tryon? Or how about the fights he had IN Tryon where he hurt staff and other kids b4 he even knew how to box?

Tyson was not born a boxer you know. Though he was raised in a tough neighborhood where he had to learn to fend for himself very well.

16. slipthejab

LOL! :D
    So now fights when you're 13 make you t3h d34d733 sTr33t F1ghT3r?!

Though in Tysons case.. I think his neck was already like 20" when he was 13. :eeK:

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Don't talk bobbins! 13 yrs old and fighting against kids does not count - especially when you look at the fights he had latterly when he punched. Are you serously trying to say he was better BEFORE he boxed??

Hell, by your definition even I was a streetfighter in my youth...if only I'd known that I could have saved myself 17 years of martial arts training!

18. koto_ryu

koto_ryu Common sense is uncommon

There actually has been a number of straight boxer vs. wrestler matches, and all in all it's been about even. Either the boxer managed to score a quick knockout early on, or the wrestler took them down and made them submit. Others were just such physical mismatches that it wouldn't matter. Some examples of both:

1) Chuck Wepner vs Andre the Giant: Really no contest. Chuck Wepner was an extremely tough boxer (easy to cut but an iron jaw), but compared to the monstrous Andre he really had no chance. I think Andre won by tossing Chuck out of the ring who never went back in.

2) Muhammad Ali vs Antonio Inoki: Possibly the most boring of all. Inoki caught a few of Ali's punches and decided he didn't like getting punched, so he just stayed on the ground for 15 rounds kicking at Ali's legs. It was eventually declared a draw.

3) Jack Dempsey vs Clarence "Cowboy" Lutrell: Dempsey basically pounded the heck out of Cowboy before eventually KOing him, and Dempsey was 45 and overweight when he did so.

4) Gene LeBell vs Milo Savage: Gene LeBell choked out Savage in the fourth round.

It more boils down to the actual man in the fight moreso than the style they were fighting with.

19. slipthejab

Nice list. Very nice!

20. Myke_Tyson

Myke_Tyson Banned Banned

Never said that. But Cus must have seen SOMETHING in Tyson that set his hormones off all over the young future champion. Must have been Mike's size and natural fighting abilities.

Besides that, it is a known fact Mike Tyson beat up people older than his age when he was 13 or so. Its written in almost all of his bios.

I got this off Wikipedia. And let me remind you, the person who wrote it on Wikipedia probably got it from some other source like a book or video doc on Tyson. So please do not claim the info is debatable. Cuz We all know where most on Wikipedia get their info.... from other sources..... most of the time. here :

Tyson was raised in the notorious Brownsville section of Brooklyn to parents Edna Smith Tyson and Jimmy Kirkpatrick. His early childhood was marked by strife and unhappiness, his mother had to fend for the entire family following the departure of their father when Mike was only two years old. On the streets of Brownsville he was constantly picked on and abused by older children, later gaining a reputation as a youth who would savagely beat those who ridiculed his high-pitched, lisping voice. As a youth, he was constantly in trouble with the police over petty crime and thuggery, passed in and out of juvenile detention centers, and was expelled from junior high school for fighting. While in a juvenile detention center in New York, Tyson was discovered by a guard named Bobby Stewart, who noted his raw boxing ability and awesome potential for the ring. Tyson was an outstanding physical specimen, Stewart trained him for a few months, then introduced him to the legendary Cus D'Amato.

******Now from what I hear.... Brownsville aint no walk in the park....