"Grandmaster" Jae Jeannotte

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by JTMS, Jul 8, 2011.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Mr. Dr. Master-Sensei-Sifu-grandpa-sigung has a nice ring to it. I might start using that :D

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Maybe he is a big BDP fan? "Teacher, Teacher"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha5F3A9njtk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha5F3A9njtk[/ame]

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

there's an interview with several of the fighters in ufc 1 (i've seen it on youtube, but am having trouble finding it now) that is very instructive, specifically shamrock's bit about when the teeth were flying in the first ufc fight and how the dressing room went quite because suddenly everyone realized that this competition was for real.

it's interesting. several traditional guys did step up (think asbel cancio), and they were handily beat down. if wing chun was appropriate for this format, then all these fighters would be doing wing chun. (i'm not specifically picking on wing chun, just giving an example)

we know what's appropriate for a one-on-one unarmed combat, we have lots of evidence. dismissing the evidence is bordering on delusion.

i love hapkido. there's nothing wrong with it, per se. just depends on what you're hoping to get out of it. but if you're a high schooler and someone bigger than you has mounted you, a very common kid attack, hey i got news for you, hapkido's not going to help you. or some all-state wrestler is ****ed off at you and shoots in on you (how many times have all high-schoolers seen this one?), hapkido's not going to help you.

4. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

For people who may not be familiar with GM Mike Wollmershauser, here's a quick bio:

Grandmaster Michael Wollmershauser (1943-2002) began his martial arts training in 1968 and continued to train, teach, and share right up until his passing in 2002.

GM Wollmershauser studied Hapkido under many great teachers, including Park Jeong Hwan, Choi Yong Sool Dojunim, and GM Lim Hyun Soo (9th dan), eventually attaining the rank of 8th dan in Hapkido. He was the President of the American Hapkido Association (AHA).

Are you saying that Mr. Jeanotte was a student of GM Wollmershauser? According to various websites (including http://www.koshinkwanhapkido.com/jae.html) , Mr. Jeannotte has been training for 44 years, putting his start date around 1969. If, as you say, he earned his first dan from his 'father', who awarded his next dans (2nd - 10th)?

I don't think this is true. According to GM Wollmershauser's wife, "They hosted GM Lim Hyun Soo and GM Suh Bok Sub and their wives when they came to the US for a visit. They also helped arrange for martial artists to travel to Korea to meet and train with senior Korean masters." but I don't recall Choi Dojunim ever "living" in the US, Where did you get this information from?

Yes, supposedly, Choi Dojunim trained under Takeda Sōkaku in Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu.

I have the video - it's quite good. Generally they are using MMA rules in the competition and have lots of rules to protect the competitors. A lot of the stuff you mention is banned in those tournaments. http://www.pro-hapkido.com/Tournament r&r2011rev13.pdf

5. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

I disagree (a tiny bit), anything can help you...IF you are open minded enough to utilize your skills that you have. A well placed strike, joint lock, eye gouge, hair pull, pressure point attack, may very well help. Granted it's not going to be as easy for the Hapkido, or Kung fu practitioners to defend from the ground as other grappling arts, but against an unskilled attacker one could still be at an advantage.

6. Thomas

That's certainly fodder for another thread.

Hapkido training should focus on the awareness and avoidance bits a lot as well. A well trained HKD student should have avoided those situations or de-escalated them or stopped them as they reached the point of crossing into an attack.

Hapkido has a lot of techniques that are very effective for other common high school attacks (although I don't know why you are focusing on high school specifically) - there are good breakaways and defenses against various grabs, standing locks (headlock - very common), throws, kicks, punches, etc. That's all very handy and when added as the next level beyond awareness and avoidance, should be fairly useful in not getting pounded.

Now, that said, a wise HKD instructor should be looking at the current trends and be noting that more and more people have access to grappling skills than ever before (from a general level to advanced). A wise HKD instructor would be cross training and bringing that knowledge into the classroom to share. So, a high school student with a few years of HKD under his belt should be reasonably competent in protecting him/herself from situations as you describe...

7. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

By the looks of it, there's a lot more banned under those rules than in a UFC event. No striking on the floor, no hand chokes, no attacking an opponent's back, neck, head or upper legs while standing, no knee or elbow strikes, no neck locks. Only 35 seconds allowed on the ground to get a submission before being stood back up (i.e. favouring the turtling often seen in Judo contests - a totally unviable technique in a truly continuous match). Matches can be won with as little as four strikes (two if they lead to a knockdown), even if those wouldn't cause incapacitation.

8. Thomas

Yes - I like the video and the ruleset. It's sort of a "let Hapkido students try out a more open style of sparring (like MMA) while still putting some rules in place for safety". I can see this appealing to HKDin who might want to test their skills a bit without stepping into a cage under full MMA rules.

9. Giovanni

with all due respect thomas, i think i get what you're trying to say regarding awareness, avoidance, and de-escalation, but i disagree that hapkido somehow makes people more aware of those things than any other martial art--or even against common sense.

sure hapkido has all kinds of techniques for all kinds of situations. what i'm saying is most likely, those techniques won't work because of the training methods that i have seen; granted, my experience is limited to three dojangs. maybe there are dojangs with more sparring and pressure-testing? i have not seen it personally.

edit....

also, high school was just a stream-of-consciousness thing as i was writing. no reason in particular.

cheers!

10. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

LOL that's exactly why UFC is banned in certain states. What is it about the need to incapacitate your opponent. Used to be that MA was a practice of self defense now it seems the more damage you can do to your opponent the "better" you are? I guess we've come full circle we're back to gladiators.

11. Hannibal

One thing that to this day continues to annoy me - and it is almost exclusive to "traditionalists" though not peculiar to any one style (although how an art barely 60 years old can be called traditional is something of a mystery) - is when you point out a "gap" in their system

Instead of being logical and honest about it they go into almost rabid zealotry

12. Giovanni

possibly, yes. i can see your point.

let me just state again, i'm not dogging hapkido. i love hapkido. i trained in it for some time. if i had no other choice, would gladly do it again. we should always question though.

13. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

My point is that you might win by getting four glancing blows to non-vital areas that could be absorbed by most opponents without too much trouble.

14. Thomas

No - I never said, "that hapkido somehow makes people more aware of those things than any other martial art" (if I did, please show me so I can edit it). Your comments mentioned Hapkido specifically as being "not going to help you". I disagree (as I wrote previously) - a good program should help. I could have said "Hapkido, or any good self defense system or good martial arts school..." but didn't feel the need since we were talking about Hapkido.

Good schools have to train realistically and have to adapt to the times. It doesn't matter what system, you have to do that. I feel pretty confident in the self defense training I get in my school and am working constantly to make it better. Beyond my school, I can't speak for others very well...

15. warrior monk1

warrior monk1 Banned Banned

Disrespect

Post edited by Mods due to a refusal to post in paragraphs after a Mod request

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2013
  16. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

You can't even be bothered to be clear who you are addressing this to or to structure your posts in a legible manner.

You might want to lay off the rants about respect, ego and people's age until you can be respectful enough to put some effort into what you write.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  17. Giovanni

this is where i got it. if i misunderstood, sorry. :)

18. Hannibal

Well, there goes my irony meter.......

The I would go to the hospital....can't see how martial arts would help there really

I'm young? Bless you for saying that!

How?

I just pooped myself a little in fear...please save me Grand Overlord Poobah McDouchenozzle!!!

But a child that can kick your ass :evil:

We aren't

Am I allowed to shoot back?

Oh, and if you are going to call someone dumb it helps if you don't type in a manner akin to a chimp taking a huge dump on a keyboard....and it's "you're" by the way

They don't - they listen to my words

Err...thanks?

19. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Warrior Monk, what 'way' are you talking about?

Could you clarify and please use paragraphs. I don't want to miss what you post because the Mods removed it do to your lack of respect for forum manners.

Thanks

20. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Drives me nutty too.

I've found it generally comes from a lack of insight and personal honesty.

There's a bit of a problem, I think, in TMA with people training vicariously through their teachers or the founders of their system.