"Grandmaster" Jae Jeannotte

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by JTMS, Jul 8, 2011.

1. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

No worries at all, just good conversation...

2. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

.............AMERI-DO-TE!!!!!!!!

3. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Don't make fun of them, they have Steven Segal AND Chuck Norris on their Council.

4. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Odd... you mention two of the biggest sellouts the MA community has ever known, as if that would enhance your cautionary advice (here's a hint: it does exactly the opposite). :rolleyes:

5. AndrewTheAndroid

Do you understand the concept of humor?

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Or even humour. :)

7. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

I've always found the title "grandmaster" somewhat amusing. I thought "master" was arrogant enough and should only really be reserved for really old people who have proven themselves beyond the shadow of a doubt (e.g. Yip Man, Yip Chun, Chan Pui, Mas Oyama, Jigaro Kano, Dr. Uyeshiba, ... sorry - can't name any Korean stylists - I'm not familiar enough with them), not some 40-50 year-old.

Down here in South Carolina, I've seen the title "Master" used by 3rd and 4th-degree blackbelts (TKD or TSD, but I've never seen a HKD person making that claim for some reason) who, in my opinion, are way too young to be using that title.

There are plenty of people who deserve the title who don't use it because they are humble - people like Dan Inosanto, Francis Fong, Pedro Sauer.

Then there are the self-appointed "Grandmasters". And 11th dan? I thought 11th was traditionally reserved ONLY for the founder of a style. How the heck do you go past 11?

8. AndrewTheAndroid

Sorry I am a Canadian, we are bilingual. We use American AND British.

9. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

Jimminy-freakin'-crickets... a "worldwide" martial arts association runs their web site on ANGLEFIRE? That alone just blew any hope of credibility. It's one thing for a local school to run a site on someplace like Angelfire, but a global organization? Nothing says "we barely exist but we want to look important" quite like running a "world wide" organization on a lame hosting site.

10. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

I wonder if "Grandmaster" Jeannotte has seen our posts and if so, I wonder if he at least has come up with a better line of bull?

11. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Of course I do, WP, but since you failed to insert any cute smileys, I wasn't sure if you were being serious or sarcastic. So in the words of Steve Martin...

EXCUUUUSE MEEE!!!

:p :D :jester: :banana:​

12. AndrewTheAndroid

Sorry about that.

13. ttrude

ttrude New Member

LOL... 11th Dan? When is it going to stop....... :)

14. SifuH

SifuH New Member

I have to laugh at all the stuff I see and here about on here before I cry. Why do we as Martial Artists attack one another so much about Rank, style etc? I thought Martial Arts was suppose to promote Humility and Brotherhood as a family regardless of style etc. I guess I was taught all wrong. Please forgive my ignorance!

15. AndrewTheAndroid

So that means we should let frauds do whatever they please? I don't think so. :bang:

16. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

Well, what if I were to tell you the man or woman you studied under was a complete fraud, had no real rank what-so-ever, and was just another "11th Dahn" type that promoted himeself? What then? Would that diminish your respect and admiration for your master or for the art you study? Are you to be blamed for you masters actions? Or will you continue studying under this person?

The people that do this self promotion stuff will always be around and all we can do is smile because we can't strip them of their rank, shoot them, or anything in between. Then there are others that promoted themselves to a higher rank...and no one complains about it. CM Marlin Sims promoted himself to 9th Dahn. As did CM Larry White. GM In Hyuk Suh announced he was a master and then took the title Kuk Sah Nim or National Teacher (with the Hwa Rang in ancient Korea, Kuk Son Nim meant National Immortal and were the supreme military commanders under the Emperor).

There's that old joke "Supreme Intergalactic Grandmaster of All"....but what if I took that title and really was able to whip the crap out of everyone that would oppose me? Do my fighting skills earn me that title or do I wind up on the joke list with all the others that promoted themselves? I will never pop up one day wearing a gold generals uniform spouting my 9th Dahn awsomeness. To me it's all about how well you are able to teach your students, impart your knowledge to those students, and how well you can handle yourself in a real fight situation. That's all that will ever matter to me.

And by the way...if any of you promote yourself to "blah blah" degree and make up "blah blah" Hapkido/Tang Soo Do/Tae Kwon Do/etc or a mix of any of the afore mentioned....PLEASE make sure you can still see your toes and demonstrate your material. It's embarassing to us all when you can't.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  17. ttrude

ttrude New Member

Interesting stuff for sure..................

18. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

i do a similar check in the shower every day...

19. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Hello again my friend! I admire your peaceful and forgiving spirit! But please understand it is not very wise to forgive where the person has not changed their course of action. I am ready and willing to forgive those that have turned away from a wrong. Heck, I can even look over ignorance. But when a person lies so blatantly, and badly, it is more than difficult to look the other way (see original post). I also think it a great discredit to In Hyuk Suh, Larry White, and Marlin Sims to compare this charlatan with them!

20. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Hello SifuH,
    I will gladly forgive your ignorance! :) Please note that the issue at hand is not so much about rank, but rather blatant dishonesty is his account of his training history. His lies were not even seemingly credible or believable. If someone wants to proclaim themselves "11th dan" more power to them! But don't try to pass these huge BS stories off to credible martial artists!!:woo: