Goju-Ryu v.s. Shotokan, enlighten me pls

Discussion in 'Karate' started by matessi, Aug 13, 2004.

1. kickass

kickass I AM THE 11th COMMANDMENT

as a student in goju ryu karate, i can tell you its better than shotokan :D but my opinion is of little value to you because u need to figure out what works for you. goju ryu developed from "TE" and kempo along with other chinese arts learned by grandmaster miyagi (forgot his first name)
    shotokan is more japanese than goju therefor more linear and harsh in that the techniques are non-flowing.
    _kickass

2. MartialArtsSnob

MartialArtsSnob New Member

No way man :p Shotokan is way better. You guys are too low in you stance and................and you do that silly opening to your katas and..........................umm......you guy have that silly guy from the resturant on Happy days!! Ha!

stikinupfortheshotokanguysmartialartsnobout!

3. kickass

now way dude, goju ryu is obviously superior :D our blocks are more circular and our moves flow into each other. you guys dont go low enough in your stances and your moves are choppy....so....um.......there! ;)
    representing goju ryu,
    _kickass

4. MartialArtsSnob

Go-Ju Hard-soft, so which is it? Make up your mind! Sounds like some kind of hand cleaner. Hey, just because we don't blur our techniques into one airy fairy string of nonsence is no reason to ridicule us. Oh and you guys hit WAY too hard.

:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:

takethatyoubrutemartialartsnobout!

5. kickass

oh thats how it is :eek: its both hard and soft (we multitask cuz we're so cool)
    and hey theres nothing wrong with hitting too hard. :D :Angel:

6. MartialArtsSnob

So hey kickass, do you do USA goju or the original flavor?

7. kickass

USA goju. :bang: :woo: but it sticks true to the original style (my sensei's sensei's sensei learned goju ryu karate from the grandmaster in japan :D )
    how about you?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  8. greebo_1

greebo_1 New Member

Personally I would say Shotokan has been the best for me, have had tried other styles but found that the instructors were not good at teaching. I found a club about 2 years ago and it was Shotokan style, best club I ever joined. The instructor is fantastic! Not only is the instructor good at teaching he can understand why and how certain people can't do the techniques. From my experience check out the style but keep in mind that you need to ask your self questions about if the style is your style, and whether the instructor can not only teach but also help you develop your techniques. ;)

9. kickass

greebo,
    just cuz your shotokan instructor was good, doesnt mean other styles are bad. :D
    _kickass

10. MartialArtsSnob

Yeah GREEBO!
    kickass, I nearly wet myself the first time I was told the story about Peter Urban's conversation with his Sensei. I study Shotokan (quite traditional school) and Chinese internal arts.

11. kickass

which conversation, tell me, tell me, tell me. lol :D

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  12. kerling

kerling Hidden haito style

Yes it does :) :rolleyes: I think so at least.

That is what my bad sensei always tells me. :D

Low stances??? I see thouse low stances in both shotokan and Goju ryu. So if you train in a upper class dojo you use high stances but in the getto they train in low stances????

Regards Kerling
    ps. Could this be my friday rant?

13. MartialArtsSnob

The way I heard it Urban was told to go back to America and teach the Goju Ryu system. He was at the time I think a 5th or 6th Dan, he was told to bring some other guy (Japanese, 2nd dan) to be the head of the organisation. He looked at his Sensei in disbelief and said " Um sensei, I am a 6th dan, he is 2nd, why would you send me to teach but him to head the organisation? :cry: His Sensei said "Because you are a round eye you will never be able to truly understand the warrior spirit". :rolleyes: To which Urban said "Oh really, then how come you guys lost world war II....................?". :eek: :woo:

Once the dust settled we had the birth of USA Goju Ryu. :D

14. kickass

omg, Urban doesnt have warrior spirit. :eek: i'll never believe that, lol.
    i cant believe he said that to his SENSEI. :eek: wow!!!!
    amazed,
    _kickass
    p.s. thanks for the info.

15. greebo_1

greebo_1 New Member

I never said i think other styles are bad! All i meant was that it was my opinion! Shame you can't respect my opinion!
    :mad:

Oh well it only cause you have no understanding of people views, don't worry everyone lacks something, guess your's is more obvious.

16. MartialArtsSnob

Greebo,
    Maybe you should consider that he probably respects opinions that originate from a position of some understanding of the subject. For instance: I can understand why my six year old screams and cries when I tell him it is his bed time. You see he has no idea what is best for him, he is after all just a young boy. So in response I have to (gently) tell him that the childish outbursts need to stop and he needs to crawl back into bed and go to sleep. Kickass was simply pointing out that there was a fallacy of logic in your post and wanted you to be aware of your error. A more grown up response would have been to simply say "Oh, that isn't what I meant, What I mean is ..................." Instead you come back and attack the character of the person that tried to help you.

17. kickass

awww thanx buddy, its nice to know u got my back MartialArtsSnob :D

by the way, greebo,
    u never said it was your opinion u simply just said it. i did the same only i pointed out something u might consider when making a statement. ;)
    take care now,
    _kickass

18. Rurounin

Rurounin New Member

They are two very different kind of styles! In Goju, your stances are a bit higher and rigid, but at the same time very strong and stable. The movements are shorter and it is a very short Kumite. It is wonderfull for your strengh, stability and short movement speed!
    In shotokan your stances are a bit longer and lower, the distance in kumite is much longer because they like to use speed as a weapon. They use much more legs that in Goju!
    Katas are completely different, the same for kihon!
    I used to say that if you like to get your body a real machine of war, you should do a little of both, because you could join the strengh, stability and endurance of Goju with the speed and fantastic 360ยบ movements of Shotokan!

19. kickass

maybe u got it a little confused. shotokan is rigid and goju is more fluid because it has origins in kenpo....well thats what i've always thought anyway.
    enlighten me,
    kickass

20. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

I think that depends on who's teaching it. At my school we try to emphasize (sp) the soft or ju aspect of goju-ryu. This is because people generally have a tendency to tense up a lot, maybe by instinct or habit, when they are attacked, rather than relaxing (for a very short period of course). We try to show the benefits of beginning soft and snapping into hard during techniques and self defenses, to try and create a sort of kime. Whether it was originally meant to be more rigid or soft, I wouldnt know.