Going Back to College

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Pretty In Pink, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Got in to IMI level 2 light motor vehicle maintenance.

Really excited about it. First year covers just going through a car. Take it apart and name the parts and what they do. Second year will be diagnosis and repair.

The plan is to buy a scrap car that doesn't run and take it apart in my garden when I'm not at college. Just so I can keep up.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Good news, Tom.

Hope it all works out for you.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  3. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Good lad , have you looked into getting an apprenticeship or a part time job in a garage yet ?
    And feel free to hit me up if you’re stuck with anything , especially electrics.

Mitch and Pretty In Pink like this.
  4. Pretty In Pink

Excellent! Cheers Bassai! I'm definitely too old for an apprenticeship and probably wouldn't want one at this point. I definitely do want a part time job in a shop though. Just 16-20 hours a week would be fantastic. Gonna check up at Quick Fit places in my area first then find private places. Are there many mechanics that work part time?

5. bassai

You’re more likely to find something in a “back street” garage as a lot of franchises (I suspect including Kiki fit) won’t touch you without level 3 , but saying that , the trade is absolutely crying out for decent , willing techs right now , you wouldn’t believe the numpties that are knocking about , practical experience is what you’re going to need.

6. Pretty In Pink

I'll be going to level three after this 100% so I will be alright after that?

7. bassai

It will definitely help , as level 3 is like the minimum expected standard , but , like all practical endeavours , you can’t beat hands on experience.
    Honestly , try every garage you can , franchise , non franchise , fast fit , even scrap yards , just get some practical hands on experience under your belt , fixing cars is very much like martial arts , unless you can do it “live” all the certificates in the world mean nothing , that being said , if you can’t find work straight away don't give up , once you’ve got that level 3 someone is bound to take a chance on you , then it’s just down to you to prove you’re worth it.

8. Pretty In Pink

I've always been solid at that. I've also got a bit of life experience working in general. Whopefully counts for something.

Dead_pool likes this.
  9. bassai

I wish you well mate , once you've got the level 2 things may get a little easier , but don't give up , like I said , the motor trade is suffering from a serious talent deficit just keep going until you can get a foot in the door then it's all down to you.
    Bell me if you need any help , and remember , suck , squeeze bang , blow ;)

10. Pretty In Pink

Making people think I'm talented is, ironically, my talent.

Dead_pool and bassai like this.
  11. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Good luck with your studies and training! :)

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Coool. At the very least you'll be a useful friend to have. The only thing I know how to do with a car is drive one and even that's sketchy.

13. Pretty In Pink

No doubt. Thankfully none of my mates own a car. Although everyone at the gym does. I'd also be the only mechanic at he gym. Mental.

@Frodocious, cheers! ^^

14. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Good luck with the course :)

15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Good luck Tom, and get that hands on experience.

I've worked on bikes for years and I know from my early years how much that experience counts. I would try and fix something for hours, then my dad would come home from work and sort it in minutes :)

16. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

You're going to kill it Tom.

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Great news, I hope you enjoy your course and you're successful finding work.

18. Pretty In Pink

Cheers guys!

@bassai is it worth doing the electrical course after my level 3? Electronic diagnosis I think it's called.

19. bassai

Yes it is , with the advancing technology in modern cars the ability to carry out electrical diagnosis is what will allow you to stand out from the crowd.

20. Pretty In Pink

Update: had my first day and induction day. Got told that it's possible to get onto the engineering courses after level 3 which I'm very interested in doing.