Girlfriend is into martial arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by davebrown223, Feb 18, 2013.

1. neems

neems Valued Member

Honestly never come across it,though I worked with a guy recently who's bigger than me and thought his size 'street fighting experience' trumped any training or experience i could have had,I asked him to put his money where his mouth is,and he now holds a different opinion :)

I couldn't exactly go the same route with a 35 year old,9 stone mother of 3... well not in good conscience anyway.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Fixed

And men do this FAR more than women....by about 4000% according to The Onion

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Wow, dude, you had me until "Onion." Citing The Onion ... I don't know, it makes no sense.

4. Hannibal

They did a video that was satirical yet absolutely spot on...cannot post it for NSFW language

5. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Think we've met this guy on MAP at some point!

Attached Files:

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah Google The Onion fighting article. Absolutely perfect.

7. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

That's the title:

Report: average male 4000 less effective in fights than they imagine.

8. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Ryan Hall sums it up. One of the best videos I've seen. I also think people who can actually fight also tend to have a higher level of intelligence as this video shows.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGZ4E-qUd1A"]Ryan Hall: Best Martial Art for Self Defense - YouTube[/ame]

So I've never actually competed in boxing. Have Just had a couple of hard spars (80%) but been doing it for almost a year (usually 30% sparring) . Do you have to have had a few fights to be considered a "Boxer" or being able to fight? Obviously I'm not a fighter lol

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  9. Pretty In Pink

Good video! I haven't seen that before.

10. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

But why should this annoy you so much? Do you feel somehow diminished if they don't recognize you as the superior fighter? If you base your self worth on what others think, then you'll set yourself up for a life of annoyance and irritation. Far better to just smile and tell them "you may be right."

11. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

It'd be nice to have a gf that could protect me. Especially from Crisco man on here.

12. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I think we'd all like that kind of protection!

13. neems

neems Valued Member

It's disrespectful and rude,and secondly there's virtually no socially acceptable recourse.

tell them that's rude/disrespectful = you're a mangina
    agree with them = you're a p***y
    invite them to prove their theory and be duly proven incorrect = you're one of many four letter words.

14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

So much wrong in one post.

Calling someone a pussy is wrong. It indicates that someone is as weak and feeble as a woman and as we all know that is a pathetic and outdated train of thought.

You obviously had concerns about the term, as you tried to mask it.

15. Hannibal

How about just saying "well you never know" and dont let any ridiculous sense of macho egotism get in the way?

If you cannot find a "socially acceptable recourse" your social group has issues

16. TwirlinMerlin

TwirlinMerlin Valued Member

I'd try and figure out why it bothers you so deeply. Not trying to be rude but there is probably an underlying issue.

17. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Clearly the best way to deal with it is to make them sit through 5hrs of aliveness videos and then compare notes until they admit, in writing, that they were wrong.

18. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

Challenge the women to a friendly match/fight. Wrestle them to the floor, and then sit on them. Problem solved. (Hopefully they aren't high level BJJ practitioners though.)

19. Pretty In Pink

Haha, not really. "Yeah but I'd totally beat you up" 99 times out of 100 is just a way to flirt.

If a person I was comfortable with i.e work colleague, classmate (college or uni) etc wanted to truly test themselves against me I'd be fine with that. I'm good enough now to where I can take people down and just hug them until they quit. If they enjoyed themselves invite them to train with me.

That is why grappling > striking for chatting up girls :D

20. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

You know how they say you never truly know anyone until you fight them right? I would watch out what you wish for. She would end up fighting me and seeing how great a man I am, how great Crisco is, and then she would leave you when the dust settled and walk into the horizon with me to the Crisco Palace. :meditate:

Crisco is the protection ;)