Girlfriend is into martial arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by davebrown223, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Not really. We ask because we're interested in martial arts. I mean, if you ran into another civilian pilot, you'd ask him what sort of plane he flies, right? Not because it matters to you in any objective sense, but because you love aviation. We're the same.

2. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Miltov beat me to it!

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Fencers have quick reflexes :)

4. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I just honestly don't see the big deal. It doesn't make you any less manly to have a tough girlfriend. Your problem isn't with her, or your situation, it's with your perception of things.

Long story short, it doesn't matter if she can kick your butt.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The question isn't "can she kick your ass" it's " would she" - I can see no circumstance when me being able to kick my wife's ass (or otherwise) would ever be an issue

6. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Man you fly planes? holy crap I HATE heights, hell i have dreams that Im frozen in fear on top of a sky scraper or having to cross to another building miles high above a city

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Exacly what Mitlov said!

8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

...particularly the part about fencers having fast reflexes :)

9. davebrown223

davebrown223 New Member

Interestingly enough im scared to death of heights but ive never had an issue with flying over that. Its a control factor ... with flying youre in total control ... in other "high" situations .. you dont have that same feeling at all

PlanetaArte likes this.
  10. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

Woman are generally weaker than men. Just jump her one day and see what happens. If you lose real bad, then you may need to train some chopsocky.

11. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

[​IMG]

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I thought you didnt train with Lloyd Irving?

13. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Oh my!

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

So the OP has a problem with his girlfriend doing an activity that keeps her fit and healthy, promotes confidence and self worth and can help even the odds should she, or even him, be attacked?
    I mean...there are problems and then there are problems.
    And that doesn't sound like any sort of problem to me.

15. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

No at that point it will not matter anymore because any self respecting woman would dump the dillhole who was so insecure he needed to establish his male dominance by physical violence.

Romantic relationships revolve around trust, love and respect; Not about the need for dominance or supremacy to establish self-worth.

And who knows. Maybe she has a loving father would would beat him to a pulp if he tried to do something like that.
    I can of course only talk for myself, but any guy who tried in seriousness to do such a thing to one of my daughters would do best to avoid me for the rest of his life, or he would 'see what happens'. Then again, hopefully I am able to install enough sense of self worth in my daughters that by the time they reach dating age, they don't feel attracted to that kind of scumbag.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  16. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

I'm a female martial artist and this here is what I think.

btw i wouldnt stay with a guy who thinks like this.

btw sbk you gave me an idea of what sort of person I was debating history with. I kind of knew from your america is the best and world policeman and we canadians need USA for protection, but now I have more of an idea.

Or else count Duckula, she could beat him to a pulp and not even need her father if she's a dan or other equivalent something or other.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  17. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

[​IMG]

Even setting aside the very important facts that physically assaulting one's girlfriend is (1) immoral, (2) illegal, and (3) insecure, it's not a good idea simply as a matter of self-preservation.

18. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

Damn, I'm just kidding.

19. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

I think we might be judging the OP a little too harshly. Yes, his girlfriend is an MA and he is intimidated by it. Maybe this is just something new to him and he is trying to hash it out. I think the fact that he is here asking for advise shows he is not an insecure sexist jerk. Or maybe he currently is one and is beggining to think his current perceptions are not good. I think talking to her about it and maybe watching a class could go a long way to a better understanding.

20. Metal_Kitty

Metal_Kitty Valued Member

Ok....so from my perspective, as a girl that's really into martial arts and fitness...

I would NOT be attracted to a guy that's intimidated by me. He could be 10x stronger and fitter than me, 10x better martial artist...but if he acts like he's intimidated, that's a turn off straight away. Women like men who are confident, who can make them feel like a woman in the relationship and they are the man. But that doesn't mean you need to be physically powerful, there are other ways of making her feel secure - but confidence in yourself always comes first!