Giggling twiglets

Discussion in 'Judo' started by FortuneFaded, Apr 5, 2004.

1. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

i liked my topic title :D

Was wondering, at my Dojo theres quite a few young members, pretty much under 12 years of age, so they all weigh like 7-9 stones, its funny listening them do breakalls, you don't hear a thing, they can slam themselves on the mat and nothing, hardly any sound!

Anyway, was wondering, the kids giggle alot when there in randori, and our sensei makes them fight the older kids, sometimes me but i have to go on my knees, is this a good thing? the kids certainly stop giggling when they have to fight someone my age lol :D

2. blackbelt_judoj

blackbelt_judoj New Member

Insurance?

3. FortuneFaded

come again?

4. saikyou

saikyou New Member

we do fight d kids. but extra care must be considered.

5. johndoch

johndoch upurs

At least when your on your knees you'll be able to teach them how to work the upper body rather than hangin on to your coat-tails as it were :)

6. Jax

Jax New Member

In my kickboxing ive fought kids as low as age 8, and im 20.. they hit and kick me as hard as they possibly can..i just give them a tap :) It builds up their confidence fighting someone allot bigger and olden then themselfs

7. FortuneFaded

Yeah sounds like your all in the same situation as me, just funny watching someone my age get tripled teamed at the end of the session :D

8. saikyou

saikyou New Member

atleast they are trying their best to improve.:D

9. Furikuchan

Furikuchan New Member

Don't patronize them like that!
    First off, it is HARDER to throw you when you're on your knees. Your center of gravity is too low, and there is no way they can get under it. But if you're standing up, just hunched over, they can get a real throw off. It's better to teach them to use a real throw than to let them rely on a non-effective throw that won't work when they get in competition against someone their size.
    Those pee wees (3-12 years old) are some of the meanest, baddest judoka I have ever seen. I do not want to be caught in a dark alley with Brianna, Carlito, or, God help me, Walter. They will attack stronger and faster than any of the adults. They will knock each other around, slam each other into the mat, land on each other, and get up with a smile. And when you're fighting them, don't let up the gas. They aren't on you.
    Sensei Darian has the best philosophy regarding the pee wees. He was taking about this just the other day. "I developed my De Ashi and Okuri Ashi Barai from working with the pee wees. They have such a low center of gravity, the throws are harder to make stick. Also, they aren't afraid of taking a little fall, and they'll attack me seriously. You have a lot to learn from even the pee wees."
    Amen, Sensei!

10. FortuneFaded

I dont know, these kids that go don't look all that fierce to me, are the ones you fight against doing judo because the want to win, like a competition/rivalary thing? if thats the case its different for the ones who train at same Dojo i attend.

They in my oppion aren't fierce, when they fight amongst them selves they stand up, their speedy that has to be granted but when they fight they dont seem to get anywhere, its more like pushing and falling than anything.

Then again that seems harsh, we're all beginers that go, though sometimes i think my friend is somewhat of an intermediate, he's just the nippiest monkey you'll meet, he did 3 tomoenages to me :D

Oh, when were on our knees, we don't do throws or anything to the pee wees, we sorta push em away, the point i beilive for this is for them to practice groundwork, the way i feel if you master a good kesa gatame or something like that, it doesn't matter your opponents weight it's still incredible hard to get someone off you... hey thats just me, i aint not black belt or anything XD

11. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Gotta agree with Furikuchan. Some of the toughest randori's I've had with the wee 'uns ;)

Serious, they come at you hard and fast, you don't wanna be rough with them just use what your given, which is hard cause they're fast and have a lower centre.

Thats pure Judo :)

Col