Gi/no gi.

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Bon, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Where do you spend the majority of your time training ?

I'm doing no gi 3x a week, which is mainly sparring with clinching & takedown technique work, then when I put the gi on it feels really uncomfortable, especially when doing takedowns... I've done practically no takedown work with the gi and I went in a tournament last Sunday looking to clinch as I feel really comfortable there, but I couldn't make it happen, the other guy grabbed my sleeves and was working for the single leg and he was a lot stronger than me so I just pulled guard on him.

2. Solane

Solane New Member

Have a look at the ninjutsu forum on the tread about grappling on page 7& 8 I think a few of use have already touched upon this subject of GI or no GI. May not be the answers your looking for but there again it just might.

3. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

I pre fer no gi but do train with a Gi on for the Sake
    of not being cought of Guard.

With The Gi on I try More Judo type Throws
    With it off i Pre fer Leg Dives & Clinch work

4. Jamo

Jamo New Member

I think both are useful methods of training, but I prefer the challenge of wearing the gi. You can use it in many ways against your opponent, and you can stay in contact with your opponent without them slipping away...but he can use it against you as well. It's a bit more mentally stimulating for me with the gi on. Without it, the ground and pound becomes the best option due to not having anything to wick the sweat away with.

Jamo

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I defo prefer no Gi - I should do more Gi work - it would be good for me.

6. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

... but then you have the whole problem of deciding which Gi to buy!!

What we need is a FHM/GQ article: This season's discerning MMA'er will be mostly wearing... a white BJJ kimona featuring tailored sleeves, double reinforced back panel and smartarse logo.

Seriously though I just haven't got around to buying one even though I know it woudl be good for me to train in a Gi.

Last edited: May 22, 2003
  7. YODA

Here's me in mine - a white BJJ kimono featuring tailored sleeves, double reinforced back panel and smartarse logo. :D

[​IMG]

8. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

9. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Btw, is Roger Gracie only a brown belt? Not only, but you know what I mean :D

What was his seminar like and how is he to roll with ?

We have Royler coming to Australia next Monday and I will be going! :D His technique is soo smooth it's not funny from what I've seen.

10. Raiden

Raiden New Member

I spend the vast majority of my time training in GI. however, I like to grapple against no gi's. That way I get the training where I have a disadvantage because I can't use the GI to my advantage, but he can. I figure this training helps me out in the self defense category.

Roger is listed as a first degree black belt according to bjj.org

http://bjj.org/a/ranks.html

:confused:

Last edited: May 22, 2003
  11. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

I sense a purchase coming on... and its payday too!

Yoda - any recommnedations for buying Gi/Kimono's in the UK? Am I better off getting it from www.mmagear.com (thanks Bon)?

Thanks,

Dred

12. YODA

Yes - Roger is ONLY a brown belt LOL!

He did well in last week's ADCC in Brazil too - he beat Mario Sperry in the first round and eventually came in 3rd place. Not bad for a Brown Belt :D

13. YODA

MMAGEAR is the place to go for sure.

My Gi would have cost me £99.99 plus p&p to buy in the UK. I got it for $99.99 off MMAGEAR with NO postage charges - worked out at £68 and took 4 days!

14. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

I have been waiting for over a month now....

you can get a wholesale price if you purchase over $400 worth of stuff like we did, maybe that's why we've been waiting so long.

15. YODA

Maybe it's coming via Camel? LOL!

Have you sent them an email about it? They're pretty good and helpful.

16. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Apparently it takes longer since it's going to Australia.
    It's been shipped, so it's out of their hands now I guess.

17. YODA

Cool - at least you know it's on the way.

Can you track it online?

18. Raiden

Raiden New Member

Roger is listed as a first degree black belt according to bjj.org

http://bjj.org/a/ranks.html

19. YODA

Hmmmm..... must have been recent as he was definately Brown Belt when we trained with him in November. Yep - BJJ org says April 2003 - I'm suprised it gives Carlos Jr as the one who awarded it - I would have thought it would be either his Father, Mauricio Gomes, or Renzo Gracie.

Now I think about it I seem to recall it being announced on SFUk a while back - my brain needs defragging LOL!