Gears of War

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Guizzy, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

Gears of War.

Out now. In my 360.

Game of the year. Easily; by a wide margin.

2. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

PS3.

Next Week.

Killzone 2.

Nuff said.

3. SuperSanity

SuperSanity The Hype

I highly doubt either could beat Oblivion.

4. Guizzy

Good one!

Oh wait, you were serious?!?

Well, it depends. Is multiplayer important for you? If so, Oblivion is sadly out of the race.

Oblivion is a wonderful game, no doubt about it. The only game I played longer than that was Morrowind (with its expensions) But it is a niche game, not the kind that gets non RPG players giddy with excitement.

An example; personally I'm no big fan of the Halo series. I like them, I've played them, but I'm not dying in anticipation for Halo 3. I like Oblivion much better. But guess which game is more popular; Halo 2 or Oblivion?

Everyone plays and likes good action games; while deep immersive RPGs are popular with hardcore gamers, but seem too complicated. One of my non-gamer friends in particular seems to think RPGs are for people who "want to have pretend life because they're too busy playing video games to have a real one".

5. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Great! You've got one of the 3 being released in the states then?

EDIT

But killzone 2 isn't out next week, this year and probably won't be out until late next year :eek:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2006
  6. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

God I can't wait for Zelda next month :) :cool:

7. leon_x

leon_x Dai Low

i love halo 2.. campaign wasnt that good but on live its amazing. cant wait for halo 3 or even halo wars!

i have to wait til friday for gears of war, stupid uk take so long to release.

i thought oblivion got a bit too repetitive. good game though

8. curious

curious Valued Member

Halo 2 is not amazing online really its not. Guns like the battle riflle have been made so powerful it pointless to try and use anything else and the carbine which should be on par with the battle rifle has benn neglected. The elites and spartans are not equal, not to mention host making it so one sided a lot of the time. Dam bungie how did they manage to scew up Halo????!!

:woo: bungie

9. Guizzy

Well... Considering it's still the most popular Xbox Live game (even when compared to Xbox 360 games), they must have done something right with Halo 2.

But to me, it's not a game that's meant to be played online; but in a LAN.

10. curious

curious Valued Member

They appealed to the masses but I still think there are FAR better games out there my favourite xbox live game was Rainbow six 3 or Rainbow six 3 blackarrow. They were quality games.

11. leon_x

leon_x Dai Low

dude, the battle rifle and the carbine are nearly on par. by the time you shoot off one round on the battle rifle you can shoot off two or three shots on the carbine. battle rifle is more powerful but the carbine can kill at least an extra person before you have to reload. both have their disadvantages and advantages. plus no one said the guns should be on par.

IMO you cant get a better multiplayer game than halo 2. no matter which game i buy for the 360, i always manage to end up playing halo on live.

12. inokichi

inokichi Murse

I just bought Gears of War today, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed.
    The action's very different to Halo 2 or other shooters.

It's very similar to "Brothers in Arms" in the way that you have to extensively use cover. The battlefield is almost divided into areas of cover that you must use if you want to stay alive. However, you must keep moving because although the enemies can be very tenacious when it comes to defending a position, they are also extremely aggressive and proactive and will actively flank and try to out-think you. They consistently surprise me.

I have yet to effectively use the Chainsaw bayonet though :(

13. Guizzy

Tip for that: the chainsaw is made for rushing an enemy hiding behind cover; preferably while he's reloading.

Getting shot while the chainsaw is rev'ving will stop it. If you try to activate it too close, he'll melee-whack you to death before you get the chance to saw him.

Most people on the net seem to prefer the shotgun to the chainsaw for close range. Indeed, a close range headshot with the shotgun is usually an instant kill. But getting that headshot against an opponent that loves to use the rolls and dodges is not nearly as easy as running at them with the chainsaw.

Also; do not underestimate the pistol; it's a good weapon to kill enemies behind cover (shooting at their exposed limbs with blind fire).

The game is hard alone on the second difficulty level, but there were only two spots that had me repetedly stumped; one of which was the final boss. I don't know if you're doing it alone or coop, but playing coop makes everything much, much easier. The friendly AI doesn't seem as intelligent as the enemy AI.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  14. Origami Itto

Origami Itto Walking Paths

I had the chance to try GoW at a friend, and it rocked. I looove the Unreal engine and the latest version just begs for a Warhammer 40k game!! (been playing Dark Crusade recently :)). Can't wait to see UT2007.

15. inokichi

inokichi Murse

I was having immense fun with it last night. I'd just got up to the bit where you meet the Berserker. However...tragedy struck. My 360 suddenly started making a scraping,whining noise and has now left a 5mm wide scratch along the entire circumference of the disc and now states that the disc is illegible.

The 360 I own is my second because I had to return the first to GAME on account of it scratching discs. Last night, the damn thing was just sitting there playing quite happily until it made this awful noise. I now can't play any games on it until I contact GAME and find out what exactly I'm supposed to do.

And I was having so much fun...:(