Gatka = kalaripayat?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Hatamoto, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Over the last few days I've been in contact with a Sikh via youtube's private messaging, after I left a comment on a video asking a question I think about why they can't cut their hair, or something. Can't even remember what the video was now.

But anyway, I knew basically nothing before this week about Sikhism so it's been an awesome discussion with the guy, and he's answered every question without attitude or any "JOIN US OR BURN FOREVER!" vibe unlike certain other religions that shall remain nameless xD I told him the turban and uber long hair would be really awkward if I were to convert coz I do martial arts, and he said Sikhs have a martial art too, called Gatka, and supplied me with this video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C54ie5mCLU"]YouTube- Gatka Mix Tape Vol 2 (Short Version)[/ame]

I don't know anything about gatka, not heard of it before today, and I know very little of Kalaripayat besides what I've seen on shows like Way of the Warrior and er... that one with the French aikido lady. But watching this video it looks very similar to me. Here's a clip of kalaripayat

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YmA46x7Xok&feature=related"]YouTube- Kalari Payattu, Martial Arts - India[/ame]

They both come from India so it's not inconceivable they received the same influences, but to me they look similar enough that they could be the same arts, only called by different names by merit of different religions (I think kalaripayat is more Hindu influences and Gatka is Sikh)

Does anyone have any experience in either? A long shot I know but I'm interested to know how they differ.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Gatka guys did a good demo at Seni a few years back. Lots of weird weapons being twirled about. Strong wrists.

3. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

I have a little training in Kalaripayattu from being in India. They are two distinctly seperate systems from my understanding. There are a lot of Indian martial systems. Many have not really been explored by westerners at this point. Kalaripayattu is from southern India and specifically from the state of Kerela. (which is like a beautiful tropical paradise) It is a rigorous martial system requiring great flexibility. However it has at it's core a very good amount of solid, very solid and practical self defense skills. (that is what I trained in)

4. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Kalaripayit is from Kerala in the far South West of India. Legend has it that there is a link with the Shaolin Temple in China via Bodhidharma, but like all such legends it should be treated with great care. What is very interesting though is that the Northern and Southern variations in Kalaripayit correspond to the Northern and Southern variations in Chinese Martial Arts. Weird... or... not? :confused:

Gatka is an art exclusive to the Sikhs of the Punjab in the far North West of India. My experience of it is largely confined to being one the volunteers from the audience at a demo at Earls Court a few years ago. I sat with a piece of fruit on the palm of my hand, which a blindfolded swordsman chopped in half. (The fruit that is, not my hand.)

Gatka has a huge array of weapons, including some quite unusual ones such involving chain nets, which I seem to recall were for disabling opponents' swords, spears etc.

By the way, lots of Sikhs do martial arts other than just Gatka. The turban isn't a problem because it can be taken off quite easily, and without any religious restriction. The long hair underneath is kept together by a steel comb called a kanga, and the whole is covered by a cloth, so they are really no more restricted than any one else in terms of hair etc.

I'm not sure about how easy it would be for you to convert, if you really are interested. In this country, Sikhs have traditionally not sought to make converts, and personally I've never come across one. But I would imagine that if you are sincere, and ready to learn Gurumukhi then it might be possible. (Funnily enough there are lots of Sikh converts in the USA. I saw something about it on tv once. Imagine lots of blue eyed blokes in with huge blond beards, looking like a bunch of Vikings in turbans!)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  5. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

If you want to convert go to a Gurdwara and talk to them, there are no barriers to conversion though you may be a novelty act to many Sikhs.

6. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Your "location" identifier mentions you're in the UK?

Gatka does appear to exist in the UK. A bit of google-jitsu and asking/calling/emailing around can likely do the job for finding you an answer to that half of your question, but here's one link that I found (I'm sure there are multiple others).

http://www.internationalgatka.org/BFS/

I'm not sure about whether kalaripayattu exists in the UK. You'll have to do a lot of looking around, and you may or may not find any.

As for converting to a religion, that's a personal matter of religion.

Just for your personal information though, you might want to check for yourself whether you'll be doing the long-hair/turban thing or not--not all Sikhs do.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  7. adouglasmhor

#
    Turban is just to keep your hair clean. Uncut hair is prescribed for Khalsa (baptised) Sikhs unless there are health and safety reasons for it being short. For example if you work in heavy engineering maintenance your hair and turban could get in the way. Or if you are a firefighter it could get in the way of protective equipment. It can be a very pragmatic religion.

8. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

i know definatley gatka exists in the uk because i have seen many demonstrations also i have been to a few classes myself, a really good friend of mine teaches it in leeds at the temple... if you wanted more information maybe i could put you into direct contact with him. PM me if you wish.

9. adouglasmhor

Sat Sri Akal

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  10. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

sat sri akal :p

11. Prajith kalari

Prajith kalari New Member

Kalaripayat

Hi dud i m from kerala and i practising kalaripayat. Actualy gatka and kalaripayat cant be treated as same. Bcz what todays gatka is they not following any tradition and it is just a copy of sword and shield fight of kalaripayat. But kalaripayat is based on pure tradition and it is not like that any new student can learn weapon practice. It takes minimum 5 years. Kalari is a epic art. Becz it takes almost 15 years to learn body control exercises, kicks,wooden weapon, metal weapons ,bare hand techniques , attacking vital points and healing. Gatka is very simple and i tink anybody can master with in one month

12. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

One month?

Sounds like a rather efficient combat art from that point then.

13. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

One month sounds a smidge downplayed for any art. Especially given the unusual weapons they use..

Also, not my place maybe but I think the rules say to spell stuff good. Just saying ^.^

14. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Um.... The subset of shastar vidiya originating from Punjab and northern india commonly known as gatka comes from a distinctly different history and understanding than the south Indian art of kalaripayat.

There's plenty of history on it and the stick and shield gatka game being a training tool for both Rajput, sikh and Mughal soldiers.

15. IndianMA

IndianMA New Member

People used to believe that Shatra Vidya + Dhanurveda is knowledge of North India and Kalari Payattu + Marma Adi is from south India are different.

But both north indian and south indian knowledges have similarities because knowledge was spread from north to south or vice versa which made people to adopt both areas styles.

But the reason people see them as different styles is because North India is culturally different between south India and also both areas have language barrier. This made present people to think (including Indians) that both arts are different.

Coming to Gatka, it is the punjabi derived martial art from Shasta Vidya (or Shastar Vidya as per Rajputs and Sikhs) and this knowledge can be used with any kind of weapon if you have speed, power and control. But the basic weapon is wooden stick.

Same knowledge is there in Kalari and people call it as Silambham. Silambham is also a philosophy which can be used with any weapon but these days it is limited to wooden stick only.

Silambham:
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYSAt1lbL4E&feature=fvst"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYSAt1lbL4E&feature=fvst[/ame]