Game of Thrones S4

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Bozza Bostik, Apr 15, 2014.

1. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Funny, that's what Brann said!

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Men do weird things for love. Ronan Keating made terrible songs for it.

Hahaha Han Solo is the lovable rogue! Everyone loves those characters!

Well no, Ned being an idiot is what put him in that position. Having read further into the books and been exposed to more of the ideas and themes in the series Ned really was a complete moron. Then again I can't say Jaime didn't plan to kill him in the fair fight.

"Power resides where men believes it resides" :p (For reals though, best quote in the series by far that riddle) The Hand holds the power if the king is weak. Its why Tywin made a good hand under Aerys and under Joffrey is because both of those rulers sucked at actually ruling and didn't really get involved. Same with Robert and his disinterest in ruling. I don't know enough abut the history of Westeros before GOT to know if stronger kings had weaker Hands.

Also its suddenly struck me that Robert Baratheon reminds me a lot of a younger Henry VIII: Romanticized by the idea of rule, but in reality very disinterested in the affairs of the state and far more interested in hunting and whoring.

3. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I understand that if any more words come pouring out your mouth, I'm going to have to eat every chicken in this room.

[​IMG]

:p

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  4. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

I really hate joffery as a character but jack gleeson did such a fantastic job portraying Joffery, I'll be looking out for any of his future projects.
    Leaving Game of Thrones | Jack Gleeson: http://youtu.be/uKboLTwzFTs

5. LemonSloth

Yeah...that's not helping your argument there :p

Liking Chewbacca, I get. But Han?! No. Just no. "It's fine to be a douchecanoe as long as you're charming!" just doesn't cut the bread for me or whatever that term is supposed to be.

To be fair, Ned was a moron. But a moron you almost liked, surely? And not just 'cos it was Sean Bean. He actually had some real principles!

Should have given away that Ned was going to die when they cast Sean Bean :D

That quote was properly epic. But here's the question, does anyone actually want a strong king?

Now you mention it, Robert really was like Henry VIII, wasn't he?

6. LemonSloth

Yeah, any actor who can make you hate him that much in his role (and not for bad acting either) deserves respect in my eyes. In fact, I'd go as far as to say most/all of the GoT actors and actresses were beautifully cast. Judging by their portrayal from the TV series only mind (which is a flawed concept).

7. Southpaw535

What about Meatloaf? Are they helpful?

Cut the bread? Oookay...

I'm a big fan of the Machiavellian/Neutral-evil type character. I'm not saying I can empathise with it, but I kind of can.

When I first watched the show yes. After I read the books not so much. So much stuff happened and so much of it negative all because of his damned "honor" and refusal to do any minor politicking. Admittedly he comes round at the end and Joffrey ruins everything but it didn't need to get to that point. The same way I like machiavellian characters, I dislike utterly rigid ones. Ned with his honor, Stannis with his justice, Mellisandre with her bloody Red God, they're all people that eventually bug me. If you check the forums its actually a very interesting topic of debate about whether Dany can be a good Queen with her emotional weakness for children and misjustice.

Now when the trailers for the show sold it entirely on him being the main character!

Probably not. The houses all want their own power and "the common people pray for rain, healthy children and a summer that never ends. It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones." Varys seems to want a strong king or any suitably decent ruler though. So one person in the entire kingdom might :p

I'm more amazed that it seems I was paying attention that year in college when I learnt about him :p

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

a man agrees.

9. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

GOT has been interesting to me when it first started.

I was shocked when Stark was beheaded, thinking he was the "main good guy"

10. Fish Of Doom

am i the only one who thinks ygritte's expression in that scene is one of the best moments of body language in the history of acting? it pretty much defines "a look of betrayal" a thousand times over.

11. Southpaw535

Have you heard the theory that he was Syrio Forell? Don't believe it personally since I don't think even the Faceless Men can alter height, but its an a cool idea.

12. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I thought of him as absolutely terminally stupid by the time I found out about all the
    Jon Arryn
    business.

13. Fish Of Doom

hadn't heard, and i'm inclined to doubt it, but we'll see.

14. Fish Of Doom

oh, also, i lol'd when they yelled out 'stormbringer' as a name suggestion for the sword :D

15. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

It's pretty clear Sirio is dead, he had no hope of surviving that.
    Shame because he is my favourite character hands down.

16. LemonSloth

Yes, yes they are :p

MUSTARD! Cut the mustard! That's what I wanted to say! :bang: :D

I like Machiavellian/neutral evil characters too, but for me, Han Solo/Jaime Lannister aren't that in the slightest. Melisandre, Tywin, Little Finger sure.

"For the night is dark and full of terrors, but Melisandre is bright and full of Stannis" :p

Yeah, that's true. He really does screw himself over. It was good for the story though. He definitely didn't do the smart thing though.

I was wondering about that actually. Admittedly she'd have to live long enough to retake the kingdom which is not guaranteed, but still. And what would she do with her dragons?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Prince Oberyn is my favourite character. :D

18. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I just started watching these last December and got hooked.

My favorites are:

Arya & the Hound
    The Direwolves
    Bronn & Tyrion
    Jaqen H'ghar
    Bran, Osha, & Hodor

19. Fish Of Doom

i like tyrion, varys and littlefinger :D

20. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Jaqen H'ghar, just my thoughts on that and a little more as I'm rereading book 4.

I believe he is the "nice man" in the temple of the faceless men. He knows who Aryia is and is the only one fluent in the common tongue.

Also, discussing this with my son-in-law and he think's Jon Snow isn't Ned's son. He was probably Roberts. It makes sense with Ned's sense of honor and adds some twists latter on for who is the rightful king.

A wedding between him and Daenerys ties both bloodlines together and ends all other claims to the throne.