Full contact fighting with false teeth

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by ShadowHawk, May 28, 2013.

1. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Take time to heal first. Then review your options from there.

I would go with falsies first.

2. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Like the others have said, head injuries are serious stuff. Take your doc's advice WRT getting back into fighting. I suggest starting light and building back to normal intensity. If you have to stop full contact stuff, grappling arts are rewarding and fun as well. Lots of competition opportunities in judo, jiu-jitsu, sambo, etc.

3. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Catscan results in, no concussions no air bubbles, everything good so far!!

4. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Good news! Rest!

5. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

^thank you! Doctors gave me the OK for full contact fighting for my skull fracture. It was only hairline fracture on forehead and cheek bone.

Now I just need the OK from my dentist after they bridge my bottom teeth and re-arrange my top four that got jumbled around in the accident.

6. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Dentist not gonna give you a thumbs-up to fight. He just isn't. Not on his own, anyroads. You're going to have to tell him or her to give you the clearance. I've found they are usually amicable and will do what you ask them to { 'xcept being willing to take off £100 for being a repeat customer }

=======================================

Edit:

For some reason, the first page of your post didn't pull up and I went on and on about things already mentioned by others on that page.

Cheers,

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  7. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

YES!!! My Dentist said I can fight no problem with a gumguard. He has been doing this for 50 years so I trust his opinion.

He even told me Mohammed Ali finished his career with teeth bridges

8. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Of course he'll say that. Repeat business :D

9. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

^I thought that too, but the guy is in his 70s , I doubt he'll be around if / or next time i need tooth repair

10. belltoller

Glad to hear it. Lucky man. I had to get a custom made guard. I've a ridiculously long expanse, a couple of molars, then another gap and haven't had the titanium implants done yet.

I looked like a water-retaining Uncle Fester the day after. Now they are good about keeping the swelling down anytime your tissue's experienced trauma.

11. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

5 months after this (skull , cheek , jaw fractures, both forearms and wrists broken , broke every sinus in my nose) . No concussions

[​IMG]

To this

[​IMG]

Making progress. My right wrist is still really bad, my left I thought was 90% healed, I guess not

Getting my cement bridge for my bottom teeth put in next month, def before November is over.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  12. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Come along way mate, well done!

Travess

13. righty

righty Valued Member

Great to see you up and about.

Do you have a photo of the building you fell off? :p

14. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

more like fell THROUGH, the roof collapsed under me. no It was in Venezuela

15. embra

embra Valued Member

One comment Shadowhawk, and I speak as someone whose crowns are all starting to fail (I will almost certainly have to replace 4 old crowns with implants @ £2500 minimum apiece over the next 10 years or so.)

Simon and others made note of bobbing and weaving and gum shield.

I notice from your picture 2 things - which may not be entirely fair or correct, but they are my observations.

1) Your guard is very close to your chest and quiet low i.e. inviting head shots and jamming on your arms - this is ok if your strategy is to sucker folk in and over extend themselves - but most of us (definately me) are not good enough to do Muhammed Ali rope-a-dope tricks. Guard higher and/or somewhat further out? - this depends on your style and rules though.
    2) Your feet look very static and too far apart to give you much mobility for bobbing, weaving and rope-a-dope shuffling. Muhammed Ali had outstanding footwork. Also your knees look locked - which will make it difficult to spring up/down/around/spiral.

You do look like you can pack a fair punch and have fighting spirit but longevity is damm important.

16. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

that was just a stupid quick picture my mom took of me to show my progress, finally got my arm casts off, my face isn't swollen like an Inca statue. It wasn't my "real" fighting pose , just a quick snapshot to show progress of my face n arms

17. embra

embra Valued Member

No worries. Hope your injuries heal well.

18. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

I appreciate it, actually I haven't trained in about a year to the month. Broke my left toe last sept. then broke a bone in my left foot in Jan2013 then I had my crazy accident in May 2013. My upper body muscles are pretty much atrophied , they were never my strong point anyways, I got huge quads and iron shins that's where my true weapons lie.

19. belltoller

Especially given the extent of your injuries, you seem to be fit - though I know its relative.

Are you prone for lots of sinus infections now?

20. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

^Actually no . I didnt even know you can get a sinus infection until a friend of mine who I know didnt get her nose broken got one. The symptoms sounded horrible.

I just have no sense of smell. Still can taste food thank god. Doctors said my smell will come back , I hope its true. I constantly shower and put on deodorant religiously now since I dont know how I smell.

When it first happened if you would have seen a pic of my face without the xray you'd think you were looking at a dead person