Frustration!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Ninja*Rina, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Ninja*Rina

Ninja*Rina Bint Biter

Does anyone else get really frustrated when they can't get something?
    Because in Ninjutsu when I can't get a technique (which is most of the time, sadly to say) I get so frustrated and I just want to sit and bounce my head off the dojo walls until I can get it (which wouldn't help, I realise but makes me less frustrated). :bang: :cry:
    And also some of the people in the club do it really fast, and get impatient with me when I can't get it..OK firstly, I'm blonde, secondly I'm new, thirdly, I am a perfectionist, and fourthly Ninjas should be patient!
    I apologise, just a vent and ramble, feel free to ignore MORTAL!

You didn't hear that last bit... :p

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

No, I love it. It's my most favorite thing in the world. Every day I wake up and hope to GOD that I get confused on everything I do.

PL

3. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Hey Rina

First of all, what technique is it? Maybe I or one of the other extremely better than me, ninjutsu practioners can help.
    Second of all, I dont know if you say this in your school, but at the beginning of class we say a phrase "Shikin haramitsu daikomyo" And my interpretation is everything we do, whether its good or bad, we can learn from it. So dont get discouraged, just remember that you'll get it eventually...(enlightenment)

Ryan

4. xen

xen insanity by design

be kind to yourself...if you don't get it, don't worry

if people give you a hard time, they're ignorant, ignore them and work at your own pace.

martial arts, and ninjutsu in particular, take years to perfect, not weeks or months.

i've been at it for over a decade and i genuinely still feel like a complete novice sometimes.

some techniques you get straight away, with others, you can be missing one small point, and they take much longer to grasp.

some nights, i can't do a thing right, sometimes it all comes together perfectly...such is life.

focus on what you do get and be aware of what you don't...practice, patience and perseverance, thats the best advice i can offer.

5. Banpen Fugyo

Ive posted this before, but i'll post it again... This reminds me of a saying:

If there is something you have not studied
    or, having studied it you aren unable to do it,
    do not file it away;

if there is a question that you have not asked
    or to which you have been unable
    to find the answer,
    do not consider the matter closed;

if you have tried to make a distinction
    but have not made it clear,
    do not sink into contentment;

if there is a principle
    which you have been unable
    to put into practice,
    do not let up.

If one person gets there with one try,
    try ten times.
    If another succeeds with a hundred tries,
    make a thousand.

Proceeding in this manner,
    even one who is a bit slow
    will find the light;
    even a weak person will find energy.

6. Krazy5051

Krazy5051 Valued Member

Communication is the key to success.

Yours in martial arts,

Kid

7. Ninja*Rina

Ninja*Rina Bint Biter

thanx guys, but can I ask what does the communication thing mean, who would I talk to?

8. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

I do get frustrated when I can't get something ... then I just remember the 3 Rs of martial arts success...

Repetition ... Repetition ... Repetition.

(or "If at first you don't succeed ... try, try, try again")

9. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

You cant because Ninjas are invisable:D

Communication means, Talk to the person that is teaching you and get them to explain it in ore detail.;)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  10. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

In some classe's it it is difficult, I struggle or miss things at times and I know that I am not the only one, sometimes instructors go too fast with a technique with out breaking it down or explaining it and their hand movement can be just a blur, because of this I struggle in our Kali class with the Escrima sticks.

11. heiwa

heiwa Valued Member

Aye,

I can get frustrated when I cant pick something up right away.

Its just human nature to get frustrated when we cant learn something as quick as maybe another student, or if we are not as good as we think we should be at certain things.

This is a good thing, as it drives us to continue in our own learning process and makes us work harder at becoming compotent at certain techniques.

Just my tuppence worth
    Stu

12. Ninja*Rina

Ninja*Rina Bint Biter

well see, he explaines it well, and then again tons of times to me privately, it dosen't happen, I just can't do it.

13. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

Im the same, I am quite slow to pick up new techniques, much slower than others in my class especially if it is a grappling move. Just stick at it, practice with as many classmates as you can and ask them to explane it, this way you will get different explanations and one may click

14. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Nope, just keep trying.
    So what if they get impatient.
    Your hair has nothing to do with it.
    You are new, Patience Grasshopper
    Good for you.
    See above

15. Banpen Fugyo

you still havent said what technique your trying... Maybe you need to look at it from a different perspective/direction?

16. Ninja*Rina

Ninja*Rina Bint Biter

all of them...I'm just not good at it...snort

P.S if anyone here teaches in Edinburgh, let me know...and I'm sorry

17. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Don't worry. Hey, how long have you been doing Ninjutsu??? When I first started, I sucked. I'm still slow at picking up new techniques.

When I first started staff, a 10-year-old learned faster than me. Does that mean I suck??? Nope. Just that mabye my brain functions differently.

However, I train much more than my SiHings, and I believe I will surpass them because I truly look into the deepest aspects of every technique, and I train much more than them.

Push yourself harder. Push yourself beyond the point you don't think you can push any longer. That's what makes the difference between normals and champions, between winners and losers.

18. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

Have you thought that maybe it is the style that does not suit you, perhaps you have not yet found the right system, there are a lot to choose from.

19. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Meh, what're you talking about??? Ninja chicks are HOT. :D :Angel:

Lol.

On a more serious note, he could be right. Mabye you should really try something else.

Speaking on trying new stuff. . . . . SPM sounds tempting. . . . . . . :rolleyes:

20. Banpen Fugyo

Taijutsu fits the practioner, not the other way around :)