Freeview TV

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by 2E0WHN, May 14, 2009.

1. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Does anyone use Free view TV channels through a terrestrial antenna? Discovery was going to launch Quest TV today but have put it off. They were going to show all them old Mythbusters episodes and Gone Fishing ETC from a few years ago. But it seems they have backed out.

So does anyone use free view and watch it instead of Sky?

2. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

yep, me.

3. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

I've got freeview as well, most things on sky are repeats or films i've already seen so don't see the point in paying for it.

4. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

i used to but i have now got my hands on a sky dish and box so i'm only getting the free channels. i'll wait till the next football season before i start paying for anything.

5. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

I have freeview on satellite and terrestrial. Looking at the freeview website it seems Virgin 1 will be not only going 24 hours but also having a +1 channel as well at some point.

I may have to redo my satellite box as it's not Sky and you have to manually put in the channels yourself. Used to get French TV and all that but had to move the dish due to a tree.

6. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I have built in Freeview in the bedroom TV (LG 32LH7000 32" HD Ready 1080p LCD ;) ) and I use a cheap indoor digital antenna and get a pretty good signal. However, sometimes I have issues viewing Dave and Virgin 1 and the AV goes crackly when I walk past the antenna, but otherwise it's all good.

7. slacker

slacker Valued Member

Few things you can do with freeview...

Standard freeview
    this will use an aerial on your roof, at the moment it is very random in what you get if you use a non freeview aerial.

A standard aerial is not wide enough to get all the channels, yet i am using a 20year old aerial and pulling in all channels with good reception. Some people will need upgraded aerials and cables to get all channels.

Freesat
    Released this year
    This is a satellite dish and box which will only give you freeview channels, but you can recieve the HD channels aswell.

Sky Freeview
    You can buy a dish/box of sky and not have to use their subsription but a one of charge for a freeview card

8. yep, use freeview with a DVR. good for recording programs and whole series.

would only think of getting sky for 24, lost etc. (i.e. Sky One).

9. slacker

slacker Valued Member

Lost is availiable on freeview but with a topuptv subscription (£10 a month) but for that money you might aswell get sky

10. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

As you don't need a special aerial for digital freeview, just be near enough a transmitter with an ordinary one... that is what I have. Also have a sky box for free-to-air channels.

Until hell freezes over and the stupid bbc fee is scrapped, I won't pay a penny more to watch TV for a couple of hours a day.

11. psbn matt

is any1 here using freesat in ireland?
    just want to know how easy it is to get reception, as i really don't want to pay for sky.

12. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

hi matt, you moving to ireland then?

13. slacker

slacker Valued Member

Should be able to use the same as the UK the image below shows what you need where:

[​IMG]

14. psbn matt

dave, you caught me ;)

and slacker, i can't see an image???