[Freestyle/Sporting MA] top 3 martial arts mix

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by MATT_LIQUID, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Ma Bu

Ma Bu Valued Member

Stand-up: sanshou, traditional moves(which I have continually used in sparring successfully, such as the tai chi's equivalent of the punch with the lead hand, not a jab but the leadhand straight that can produce a KO, shuai jiao moves, tai chi fajing in strikes and pushing and throwing too, but I have not learned any tai chi forms at all, my main style is a traditional long fist style, most of the drills have a tai chi feel to it if that is possible LOL, in barehand sparring we usually use the palms and once one of the more skilled guys pushed me back 4 metres in gloveless sparring)
    Ground: BJJ, JJJ and judo techniques. Once I rolled with the aforementioned highly skilled dude and got submitted with a leg twist of which I don't know the English term, however I was in top guard(if you could "correct" me with the right term again?), and as I have sparred on the ground for a total of 5-6 times, he got into full mount on me and controlled me with the good ole' skill'n'grace of the famous Royce Gracie(like in the Delucia vs Royce video :D ), with his knees on my elboes in the mount, he was humiliating me with his slaps(that was yesterday lol :D )
    All these things I learned basically from the same instructor, who in essence is a semi-traditional teacher: teaching modern sanda an some boxing(only implements the guard, that being the only boxing-specific thing I've learned therein), adding and melding the tactics into the curriculum that are missing or are inaccessible in the forms, inlcuding the aforementioned ground techniques, some of the more basic taichi moves and principles, but aswell being very strict while teaching us both traditional and some contemporary forms(I'll just cover my head now :D )). In fact I have been at EVIL CONTEMPORARY WUSHU COMMUNIST CHAMPIONSHIP twice that year, always scoring average: first time it was 8.58 due to the lack of strictness of the judges, the second time was in the beginning of November with a score of 7.15, due to the more improved skills of the judges, but I actually was much better the last time, on both ocasions my strikes and parrying movements were clearly defined, the strikesbeing fast and derived from the hips an dantian, the other movements were of course fluid and smooth but due to the fact that I am a beginner sometimes I was a little too robotic adding to the amusement of my fellow trainees.

2. Storms of War

Storms of War Valued Member

Nah. I take kickboxing, Kempo Jujutsu (no gi BJJ basically) and Combat Judo. Not even close to overwhelming. In fact, I wish I could train more! The grappling styles complement each other very well. I learn things from one art and apply them to the other. It works out great!

3. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Storms of War - that's great, I envy you that you can manage all three! :cool:

Are they offered at the same club? At our club, JJJ is the main art and we have kickboxing as well but that tends to be a complementary art for most of the Jitsukas if we have time to fit in in.

I belong to two clubs and find it hard enough to juggle training and club commitments (I attend 5-6 training sessions a week).

4. MingTheMerciles

MingTheMerciles Valued Member

Well , I think Freestyle Wrestling , BJJ and any Kickboxing art is good .

I personally train with

1.BJJ ( Choke , Submission Escape , Breakfall , Submission , Sweep and Throw )

2.Greco Roman Wrestling( Takedown Defense , Stand up Grappling , Takedown and Control ) ,

3.Boxing( Punching , only for a while before I go over to JKD/Jun Fan concept for Well rounded Striking and beside it is already in my Jun Fan System )/
    Jun Fan Kickboxing JKD ( Well Rounded in Stand up) /
    Kali ( Weapon as part of the jun fan / jkd system )

4.and Capoeira ( Acrobatic Flexibillity , Agillity and Kicking { no hand on the ground } ) .

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  5. Tommy-2guns...

Tommy-2guns... southpaw glassjaw

Nice bit of Thread necromancy Ming

Ill say

Boxing ( both as a sport and with a view to self protection perhaps borrowing from early pugilism manuals)

Greco Roman wrestling

And perhaps Fiore or Ringeck(HEMA - covers a wide array of weapon systems and also comprehensive combative wrstling)

6. MingTheMerciles

MingTheMerciles Valued Member

Again , like most people said , there is no superior style , only superior martial artist who took advantage of cross training to cover each art weaknesses .

7. fighting13

fighting13 Valued Member

id have to say boxing, taekwondo, and either ju-jitsu or akido. that way you end up well rounded on both striking and groundwork/throws.

8. TigerDragon

TigerDragon Valued Member

I would have to stick with the style I am currently learning, which is called Chi'ang Shou Fa Kung-Fu, which is a style that incorporates lots of other arts. This includes weapons, judo, and groundwork as well as boxing, kickboxing and kung fu itself.

But if I wasn't studying this style then I would probably choose, JKD, BJJ and Kali.

www.watsonsma.com

9. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

I'd say what I am doing now: Taekwondo, Wrestling, and Jujitsu. Got striking, throwing, clinching, and ground combat, all in one (okay, technically 3).

10. Kenpo_Iz_Active

Kenpo_Iz_Active Greek Warrior-not 300

Top 3 mixes in my opinion would have to be either Kenpo, Aikido, and Kung Fu or Aikido, Kung Fu, and Judo.

11. EvilhomerNZ

EvilhomerNZ Valued Member

For sport/ring/what I'm actually doing.
    Karate, Judo, BJJ.

For realistic circumstances or to train to defend myself effectively.
    Thai/Greco/Shootfighting.

12. cowzerp

cowzerp Valued Member

Boxing, BJJ and wrestling-unstoppable..

Is this the top mix for if your looking to get bashed?

13. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

THREADSURRECTION!

THREADOMANCY!!

THREADOLEADOLOPOLY!!

:p

14. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

Yohan, those top 3 are D3@d1y!

15. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

ROFL!!

16. pmosiun

pmosiun Valued Member

Fencing, Boxing, and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

17. roblen

roblen Valued Member

for me it has to be

BJJ, thai boxing and kali

18. Mehrad

Mehrad Valued Member

Muay Thai, BJJ and greco/freestyle wrestling :D

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  19. Panzerhaust

Panzerhaust Banned Banned

For grappling;
    Judo (including kodokan and kosen)
    BJJ
    Shui Chiao

For striking:
    WingChun
    Taekkyon
    Muay Thai

For mixed:
    Chen Taijiquan
    Baguazhang
    Silat
    and last but not least, pressure point techniqes for grappling and striking (even though it's a martial skill it's not really a separate martial art unto itself other than Dim Mak)

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  20. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

BMW's

Bailey's, Malibu & Whisky. If a few of those doesn't get you fighting I don't know what will:rolleyes::D

Last edited: May 31, 2008