Free Music on the Net

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by johndoch, Oct 21, 2005.

1. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Whats the deal with music on the net how can you tell if a site is legit and above board with free music downloads.

Has anyone got any links to good sites like this

2. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Buy the CD and copy it to your pc :D

Its the only SURE GUARANTEED way.... :D

3. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Plus, who the hell wants to download music for money?!? If I'm paying, I want to have something material, have the cover slip and actual CD rather than just some data.

4. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

I have found it easier to stay the hell away from free music sites.
    They are riddled with virus's. I think I have one now from when my wife tried too download that stupid shnappy song for my 4yr old daughter.
    AVG tells me I have a trojan but it cant deal with it :cool:

5. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Not a reguar free music site with downloads but you can have your own radio station for a small donation or listen to someone elses for free
    http://www.last.fm/

Warning it does take a day or three to get an idea of your preferences but you do get to hear bands you may not have come across otherwise.

6. Martial Alex

Martial Alex Valued Member

You can stream songs online, a wiked site for this is www.radioblogclub.com - they have a huge range of music available ;) and its legal and its free

Last edited: Oct 22, 2005
  7. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Yea when WINMX got shut down the kids on my island went nuts. They've been looking for free downloads for weeks now.

8. Tyranith

Tyranith New Member

If I like something enough to have it at high quality, I'll buy the CD. Same with games, I just like to try before I buy, no sense wasting money on a bollocks game I can't return.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2005
  9. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

This is not my personal view but illegal, copyrighted download sites are not to be discussed here. Please continue to talk about legal download sites at your will. Thanks.

10. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

oh yeah, the schnappy song is one of the most downloaded songs. :D

11. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

It drives me crazy :bang: and to boot I get a virus from the site :bang:

12. Kwajman

Hate to ask what that songs like....

13. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

Good Ol' Napster is legit now.
    http://www.napster.com/

14. Tyranith

Tyranith New Member

Adam: I didn't link to or give the address of any illegal sites. I simply mentioned bittorrent, which can be used to download things illegally, but isn't illegal in itself. It's just a medium. Similiarly, I mentioned a P2P download program, which is just a program. What you download with it isn't necessarily illegal.

(I do understand I broke the ToS in that statement, but for a different reason).

Other programs which aren't pay to use are also perfectly legit. What people choose to do with them, however, usually isn't.

On topic though, try www.mp3.com

Last edited: Oct 24, 2005
  15. Tyranith

Tyranith New Member

Thought I'd help MAP's fight against piracy:

Remember, kids:

[​IMG]

16. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Thats one of my concerns, how do you know whats legit and whats not, just because a site says its legal doesnt necessarily mean that it is!!!

Am not into stealing from bands who get ripped off left right and centre anyway, but I do think that there must be places on the net for up and coming bands who put up free songs to get thereselves a bit of cheap publicity.

17. Kwajman

That would be a neat site. Good free music for bands trying to break into the business. Surely theres got to be someplace like that. Maybe where you can rate the music and give feedback?