Found a gym in my area with a very loose, small class structure. What can I expect?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Mr. Tickles, Dec 4, 2021.

1. Mr. Tickles

Mr. Tickles Banned Banned

So there's "boxing" classes and "Jiujitsu" classes at this place. But the trainers also teach both muay thai and GR-wrestling across all classes.

So I guess that neither of these classes teach any one art.. but the "boxing" classes are striking leaning (with some grappling) and the Jiujitsu classes are grappling leaning (with some striking)?

Also the classes are very small so that each student gets more individual instruction.. and it seems the material isn't planned that much. The teachers just do whatever they feel needs to be worked on that day for the students that show up.

Is this typical for an MMA school? I've never heard of a place handling teaching like this. Any red flags?

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Sounds good to me - I've always tried to maintain a loose approach to teaching, refining what I cover to match the people that turn up.

David Harrison and Simon like this.
  3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I have a similar approach. Some weeks I'll have a plan and other times it'll come to me while warming up.

David Harrison likes this.
  4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Much like Aegis and Simon, this doesn't raise red flags for me.

I have a mental map of what students need to work on, but the context for that can vary wildly. It's not unusual for some small detail in a drill to lead to taking the rest of the class on a tangent. The skills being worked on will be consistent, but how we get there can change in the wind.

I would be more dubious of a teacher who can't riff on a theme and sticks religiously to a syllabus.

5. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

It's the same for me and our dojo! :)

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

What are the coaches credentials?

Thai? Boxing?

Have they a Greco Roman background, what grade in "jiu-jitsu" and what type is it?

What background do they have in MMA?

Were they active fighters? Have they made any active fighters?