Forward Rolls and Dizziness

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Punchy, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

I still get dizzy after a forward roll. Has anyone actually overcome this problem?

(BTW - I have read about the possible cures such as breathing out when forward rolling, however I am interested in whether there is anyone out there who can say they have actually overcome the problem.)

Thank you

2. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

You can negate the effects by doing a backward roll right after.

3. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

How long have you been practicing forward rolls. I got this too but only for about the first month.
    Another thing is there should be some tension in your body toward the end of the breakfast as you impact (unless you're doing the tumbling style rolls in which case this won't help). If you tighten the legs as you go over the effect is similar, albeit reduced in effect) to how pilots squeeze their legs when doing rolls in order to contract the blood vessels and keep blood more toward the brain.

4. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

I get dizzy rolling if I roll the same direction for a long time, but I still get tired if I run a long time too. I don't think you ever become immune to it but frankly there's not really any situation where you're likely to need to do like twelve front rolls in a row. So long as you can pop a flip and get back to what you're doing without puking, I don't see a problem.

5. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Actually eventually you'll acclimate to it and it won't be such a problem. You just have to practice it about 10 rolls per day for a month. I also found that once I became acclimated to rolling that it was easier to recover from taking a shot to the head.

6. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Try not to roll whilst eating breakfast !!!

Like the others I think it just takes a bit of practice and getting used to ...

Smurf

7. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I tend to find when doing continuous forward rolls the body is folded up so it's difficult to spot and regain balance, whereas when doing forward round breakfalls across the mat, just getting back to standing on two feet there is enough time to spot and so not get dizzy

8. NoodleFoot

NoodleFoot New Member

I read somewhere that jumping up and down when you start to get dizzy helps.

9. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

couple jumps afterwards should help--helps me. also, my limit when we're drilling across the mat is three rolls. after that, i get too dizzy. same thing with backwards rolls.

10. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Damn you autocorrect!!! :woo:

11. bigstu31s

bigstu31s New Member

Tuck your chin in when you roll.
    It worked for me