For the Sake of Clarification

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Vajrayana, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mharewood

Mharewood Valued Member

Wrong! Unfortunately that is what the public have been missled about.

And JKD has evolved mostly in the wrong direction becuase people have been misled again and again about it in forums like this one.

Again I say to you read this from a bruce lee historians research and perspective
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/11533813/JKD-a-Science

2. Mharewood

Mharewood Valued Member

You are not saying anything I don't know already except ofcourse you are demonstrating more and more your lack of understanding of what is meant by "pure JKD" . The more weopons (in your terminology) means carrying more keys on a key chain making it hard to hope to select whicn key fits which lock. Pure JKD means working on that Master Key. Easier to carry around much more difficult to make and opens the lock much quicker! Again I say the same to you. Its the difference betwee having many marbles with different colours and having one marble with many colours in it.

Have a read of this http://www.scribd.com/doc/11533813/JKD-a-Science

3. Mharewood

Mharewood Valued Member

Wing Chun was the core of JKD. but the best way to explain it. you don't have to eat the core of the apple to enjoy the taste.

wing chun is a great art in its own right. but like Kali many things are in conflict with JKD and its direction that is why Bruce lee threw it away.

4. Mharewood

Mharewood Valued Member

What he trained in was actually only one art at a time but he observed other arts to counter them. Now you may want to interpret that as cross training. but that doesn't mean I HAVE to do the same thing! By saying that you are contradicting what you say about not HAVING to do exactly what bruce Lee did aren't you?

I consider him a much more tested and complete fighter than Dan Inosanto. But you seem to wat to follow what he suggest blindly. Bruces notes aren't the bible remember??? they were just his notes. I don't care much about what people say he said or what pijamas he used to wear. I leave that to the hero worshipers! I'm interested in his ART and its direction. and studying it with a good instructor with direct lineage to his best students and who understands what bruce was trying to achieve. That tells me much more than his notes, the tao, fighting methods or anything you would say.

and you still do

I find it halarious how people like you use quotations from bruce to

actually imply the opposite of what he meant! the emphasis and

internalisation is on the word "EFFICIENCY" not "ANYTHING". the word

"Anything" causes the danger of promoting subjectivity in fighting

which goes against the whole purpose of JKD. I say it to you as

well...read the following
    by John Little..you like to read and quote things too don't you?
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/11533813/JKD-a-Science

5. Mharewood

Mharewood Valued Member

He should not be no man is...he was merely pointing the finger. Many people are still looking just at the finger. not taking into account the DIRECTION is was pointing. that's why they are so hung up on Cross training. I personally cross train I enjoy it. but that is not what defines JKD for me at all

The best JKDers I've met don't cross train. they are better skilled, faster more reactive and have a better idea of how to get full power out of the tools bruce selected. Before I met them though I liked to think like yourself..so I don't blame you

6. Mharewood

Mharewood Valued Member

Probably..Probably not there is no real way of testing it
    but I'm ready to bet that no matter how much competitive wrestling experience you have that sort of skill will do you no good when you get jumped in the east end of Glasgow.

7. Mharewood

Mharewood Valued Member

The true concepts of JKD is not but the way most C0nC£PTS schools teach it is ...I know Because that's how I was introduced to JKD. Luckily I did not CARRY THAT BOAT ON MY BACK! soon as I saw what it realy isa bout It tied it up and WALKED ON

8. Mharewood

Mharewood Valued Member

Your desperate childish attempts at demeaning what I say rather than actually thinking about doesn't surprise me. I had a hard time accepting it too until I emptied my cup. and truly understood what that meant. But again I don't blame you.Lets face it you are always right here aren't you :rolleyes:

9. Mharewood

Mharewood Valued Member

I welcome any question you ask if its not with preconcieved ideas and if they are genuine questions. (unlike the ones people on their high horses tend to ask here). you can email me direct and even meet up to train/spar I will IM you my email address.
    . Its not superior. More Consistent with the JKD framework and direction yes I do believe so. from what I have read here much more so!
    I don't know how you would conclude that??. Everyone has a different training target and chooses a school based on that. I would consider "Well rounded training" to be the kind that trains
    and tests how I move on the floor when 6 people are trying to stomp
    and kick me. If you condition to grapple in a situation like that you
    are looking to get killed. I consider fighting against Grappling and fighting with Grappling to be different things no matter how much common skills may cross over your training target should define your training strategy

This had nothing to do with Weopons. I have realised that if you try to learn weopons by learning the A-z of a weopons style you are likely to learn empty hand concepts that actually contradict what you learn to develope in JKD. But I do weopons training with an eye for that. what I said was not dismissing AP Owen all together. I was just saying Kali and JKD are different arts. So please don't argue your point by putting words in my mouth

Do you consider the possibility that I have asked all these questions myself before and as a result have come to my conclusions? Did you actually read what I posted in your response when you asked how I would define JKD before you came back with all this and putting me down? If not practice what you preach & read it. because it doesn't sound like you have.

10. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Yeah its hard being perfek ;) even if you empty your cup you still have the flavour of the old tea so buy a bigger cup. In the famous words of king david of ireland. Dont change the subject and answer the question. So how long have you been doing pure jkd?

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Again with the straw men...

Where did I advocate form over function or quality over quantity? Go and have have a look..I'll wait

Finished looking?

Not there was it son?

12. Hannibal

Again you have no experience in it , like grappling, yet feel qualified to comment. You continually make an assumption then build an argument against it - the problem is your house is built on sand.

13. shootodog

shootodog restless native

so Mharewood, are you a qualified instructor of JKD? who gave you that certification?

14. Hannibal

One on one yes

Two on one probably not

Three on one no

A bit like any other art really do the argument is stupid at best

If reality is what you are using as a yardstick you probably do not want to compare notes

15. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

I have no experience in Glasgow but I'm willing to bet your JKD isn't going to help either. If the folks jumping you have any experience you will be down and out before you even know what hit you. BTW, I'm also willing to bet they will be using weapons.

My advice would be to forget the JKD and stay out of the east end of Glasgow.

90% of self defense is not putting yourself in danger to begin with.

You're not very good at this are you?

16. oosh

oosh Valued Member

I live in East End - you're trying to make it sound like it's outlaw country! ;) plus, Pat, one of the people you're berating, has quite a lot of experience with Glasgow :p

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I vote we retire "empty my cup" as a usable metaphor. That dog is tired.

18. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Ap, you're from Virginia, instead of that dog is tired shouldn't it be "that dog won't hunt anymore"?

19. shootodog

shootodog restless native

so you you say that all of the jkd teachers that are pulling the art in the same direction are wrong. that's a bold claim especially in the company you're in.

you are wrong. admit it.

20. Hannibal

He would rather curse the darkness than light a candle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.