For The Love Of God, Fire A Pregnant Lady!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by aikiwolfie, Apr 12, 2012.

1. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...986.html?1334256416&ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

This article has me really confused. Aren't Christians supposed to be all about forgiveness? Then there's the whole thing about that woman in the Bible who was about to be stoned to death for adultery until Jesus intervened and said "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" or words to that effect. Then there is the whole issue of Mary not actually being married to God when she was impregnated with Jesus. Was she even married at all? I don't remember any stories of Mary and Joseph getting married.

Why are Christians so judgemental? They never stop telling us only God can judge us. And I won't even mention the fact this woman now has no healthcare plan purely because she lost her job.

So spread the love of God people. Fire a pregnant lady! :evil:

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Most private religious schools have a morals clause, she is (I think) a fourth grade teacher. The supreme court ruled last year 9-0 that private schools and organizations can fire anyone under a morals clause.

3. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

It's still a pretty despicable thing to do to a pregnant woman. She didn't just lose her job. She lost her healthcare plan as well. From where I stand that looks heartless and vindictively cruel.

Churches and preachers never stop telling people how Christ was all about the love and the compassion and the forgiveness. Which is just a load of crap. This is how organised religion works. A dogmatic regime is established. Anybody indoctrinated into that religion or lives with the sphere of influence of that religion must follow the rules of that dogmatic regime of suffer the consequences.

Christianity of any denomination seems to be no different. Obey or suffer. No choice. No free will. It's all a lie.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Christ? Yes (by and large). Christianity and christians in general? Not so much.
    When I look at the history of christianity it ain't exactly a story of forgiveness and live and let live is it?

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Ah, I see your mistake. You made the assumption that Christians follow the teachings of Christ.

If Jesus does come back for an encore, it'll be Christians who nail him to the cross.

6. holyheadjch

'Legal' and 'right' aren't always the same thing.

7. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

SIGHS loudly...

I really, really, REALLY, want to believe that we are developing as a species but it does look as if the whole point of organized religion is to prevent it...

8. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

According to the Bible, Mary and Joseph were engaged at the time of her conception and of Jesus's birth. Can't remember if there is any actual mention of them subsequently getting married, but I've always been under the impression that they did at some point.

God couldn't have married Mary because he is God. Whoever heard of someone marrying a deity? It would never have lasted.

9. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

The woman in the story was engaged or at least in a committed relationship with plans on getting married. Being engaged isn't enough.

As for Mary and Joseph. I haven't seen it written so I have no reason to assume they did get married. But then again Joseph didn't father Jesus. God knocked Mary up and let some other guy carry the can and put her at risk of being stoned to death. Nice guy that God feller. Must have him round for an apocalypse some day.

10. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

It happens across all areas. My Uncle got fired after 19 years on the job because he developed MS. He could have hung out for another year still doing his job and then retired. I could tell you hundreds of stories of companies firing people due to illness, pregnancy

Where I work the US government will fire any woman who gets pregnant even though we have a hospital perfectly capable of handling a delivery. Its just the world we live in.

11. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQEDlv8MPQ0&feature=fvsr"]The The - Armageddon Days Are Here Again - YouTube[/ame]

12. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I don't know what's more heart breaking. The fact this sort of thing is so prevalent in the USA, the fact Americans just accept it or the fact I'm not surprised.

13. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Was God

- smart? If he is, why didn't he "predict" Adam and Eve would eat that apple?
    - powerful? If he is, why didn't he "prevent" Adam and Eve from eating that apple?
    - forgiving? If he is, why didn't he "forgive" what Adam and Eve did?

If God can't "predict", "prevent", and "forgive" what happened to Adam and Eve, why should he deserves our respect, love, and trust?

14. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

The words hypocrisy and religion go hand in hand, why that should surprise anyone anymore i don't know.

15. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Hypocrisy is the lynch pin of all religion

That said, if there is a contract, it should be noted;

You break a contract, there are repercussions

16. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I've got to wonder if this doesn't come from a place of seeing an opportunity to make a quick buck by avoiding having to pay maternity leave? Not sure what the rules in the US are for that sort of thing.

Either which way, fudge the school for doing it but people using Christianity as an excuse to do nasty things to someone is pretty much the definition of non-news.

17. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

It's more the country you live in. The US practices a particularly ruthless, nasty version of capitalism that they then brand as "freedom" (Yay, I'm free to get fired for being ill, God bless freedom!).

Not that I'm claiming any moral high ground. Our government admires the US for its willingness to exploit people for a quick buck and would love for us to be more similar.

18. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

Briefly: first up, nowhere does the bible say it was an apple!

1: I'm sure he did.

2: Yes he could have - or he could have not planted the tree there at all if it was that big a deal.

3: He gave them one simple commandment: Don't eat that fruit! He gave them a choice. Without the ability to make moral choices human life would be worth nothing more than that of animals who simply act on instinct. Had Adam and Eve respected his commandment they could possibly have lived forever. Instead they chose not to. If there were no consequences attached there would be no lesson learned. (I'm big on lessons). One lousy fruit out of the whole garden! They could eat anything else!

If you follow your argument:
    If we can't obey his (few and simple) commandments, why should he do anything at all for us? Furthermore, if he prevented/forgave everything, what would be the point of obeying him at all?

Disclaimer: I'm not religious in any way/shape/form. The above are simply logical points based on what I remember from my christian upbringing. Re. the fired woman: I actually support the right of any organisation, whether religious or not, to attach any conditions they see fit to employment. Wear the wrong clothes to Disneyland - you'll get fired. There are some "freedoms" you sacrifice for the sake of gainful employment. So if this school fired her on a "morals" clause - that's their right. She failed to comply with the terms of her employment. Terms that she accepted when she signed up.

This is one of the reasons I'm a tradesman. It's a more relaxed working environment.

19. holyheadjch

You might want to think that through for a moment and take it to its logical conclusion.

You think it would be OK for a company to fire a worker for marrying a black person?

You think it would be OK for a company to fire a worker for being diagnosed with cancer?

You think it would be OK for a company to fire a worker for voting Democrat?

20. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Historically, it would have be the norm for Mary and Jospeh to just be betrothed. It would only be after the first child is convieved that a marriage would be entered into. This was done as infertility in a marriage would spell disaster for the wider family.
    However modern christianity is so far from the original version it is practically unrecognisable.

The Bear.