FMA/Panantukan terminology

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by dredleviathan, Jan 30, 2004.

1. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Hi,

I've been going through some notes recently from a seminar on Panantukan that we did a while ago and I've come across the term "Bukton".

On the FMA database it defined bukton as a Cebuano word meaning "arm".

Therefore my question is in a Panantukan context does this term refer to the use of arm (most likely the forearm) as the weapon rather than the fists/hands. I'm guessing forearms as they are used quite a bit and because an elbow is refered to as a secoh/siko...

Anyone?

Thanks,

Dred

2. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

in Bisaya, the dialect in Cebu, "bukton" refers to the upper arm (from elbow to armpit). The shoulder itself is called "abaga". Elbow is called "siko" in Tagalog and in Bisaya.

hope that helps

3. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Thanks Juramentado!

Hmmn so maybe in this context this refers to the target of the strike rather than the tool? i.e. striking the biceps and triceps in order to weaken the arm?

4. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

could be...I don't know how you can use the upper arm as a weapon unless you use it to help crank the neck, or as part of a choke.

yes, it could be used to describe a target. But don't take my word for it. Best to inquire further..

5. ranger

ranger New Member

i think you mean "butkon" (boot-con), i'll ask my teacher bout this i'll get back to you as soon as possible. :)

6. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Thanks guys - bve interesting to see what you find out!

7. Catman

Catman Valued Member

Hi Dredleviathan...just wondering..where did you go for this seminar in Panantukan?.I would love to train in this.Do you know anyone who teaches the system in London.

Cheers.

8. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

The mighty Bob Breen :cool: